Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: My Recent DVD Haul - What's Yours?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I definitely have to give the Nektar b&w video a second try. I found it distracting but I'll give it another try. I'm a fan of the Mark Kelly book but am not familiar with Marathon. What is that?
    Mark Kelly's Marathon is a solo project release that came out last year. It's very good (as is the DVD included in the CD/DVD digipak), and the vocalist they got for the project is good, but a bit on the poppy side. But I've really gotten a lot of mileage out of the album.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Mark Kelly's Marathon is a solo project release that came out last year. It's very good (as is the DVD included in the CD/DVD digipak), and the vocalist they got for the project is good, but a bit on the poppy side. But I've really gotten a lot of mileage out of the album.
    Thanks, Jed. Snagged the last copy on Amazon.ca.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Thanks, Jed. Snagged the last copy on Amazon.ca.

But I've really gotten a lot of mileage out of the album.
    It's too soon for me to say what's my favorite 'pandemic album' i.e. new music made/released in '20-'21 but there is no doubt this was/is my most played.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Wife recently said how good the Ayreon Electric Castle Live DVD was. It is the definition of "spectacular".

I've started a habit in the last year to lay back and watch prog DVD on Friday nights.
    Got that habit too and re-watched the following recently:
    Kazumi Watanabe: The Spice Of Life In Concert (feat. Bill Bruford and Jeff Berlin):

I have not bought a DVD in many years and got rid of most of the ones I had. I wound up watching them at most twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    I have not bought a DVD in many years and got rid of most of the ones I had. I wound up watching them at most twice.
    I was exactly in your position until I decided to reserve Friday night's a prog video nights. I've come back to huge library of DVD's and am buying new ones.

The 70s Camel discussed in my opening post is just okay mostly because the production is so dated. I only watched disc 2 of the Marillion DVD I picked up -it played the music but only had graphics instead showing the band. A drag. I'm going to check out DVD 1 soon.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    I hope that means you sold them or gave them away.

I know a guy who had his friend put his favorite songs on his iPod or iPhone and then he threw his CD collection in the trash.

I like hanging out with friends listing to music that was call Prog Nights but Friday night is my favourite time of the week to sit back , relax, for my "me time" with the full support from my wife.
    Better to be watching at home than going through all the hassles (truckers) that have marred the streets of Ottawa these past 3 weeks! I feel for you :-(

I have lately watched DVDs:
    - Led Zeppelin (Royal Albert Hall 1970) - Yes House of Blues 1998 - Alan Parsons Never ending show in Amsterdam -
    Last edited by Rajaz; 02-16-2022 at 12:05 PM. Reason: year

I don't buy many concert DVDs unless I stumble across cheap second-hand copies. I bought a Tangerine Dream DVD recently (Live at Coventry Cathedral) that was pretty terrible. The music was good but it was just excerpts from the "Ricochet" album which I already own. The video primarily consisted of grainy out-of-focus shots of the cathedral ceiling, walls, and windows, with occasional fleeting glimpses of one of the musicians as the cameraman panned across the background. And it was only about 25 minutes long. I guess I should have been suspicious that there was no running time stated on the DVD case.

I don't see why do media companies release videos that were filmed in the 60s, 70s or even 80s as Blu Ray when in those days there was no HD technology or cameras even. Forget widescreen display and high resolution.

And many of those concerts were filmed in low light using primitive 16mm cameras, shaky takes and yes, those films are grainy, short and the audio is horrible. But I must admit that I do have some of those (in standard DVD) as mementos of tours that I enjoyed in my youth but watching it will never be the same as being there.
    But hey, adding the reefer smell would be cool bonus :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    I don't see why do media companies release videos that were filmed in the 60s, 70s or even 80s as Blu Ray when in those days there was no HD technology or cameras even. Forget widescreen display and high resolution.

And many of those concerts were filmed in low light using primitive 16mm cameras, shaky takes and yes, those films are grainy, short and the audio is horrible. But I must admit that I do have some of those (in standard DVD) as mementos of tours that I enjoyed in my youth but watching it will never be the same as being there.
    The reefer smell should definitely be added! That was a key part of the experience in the 70s.
    I also agree with your comment on the quality of 70s concerts. I was so excited to see Camel's 1970s performance on DVD but it was really poor production quality and difficult to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post

Not to mention the mono sound, often accompanied by noise like 50/60 cycle hum and buzzing.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

The reefer smell should definitely be added! That was a key part of the experience in the 70s.
    I also agree with your comment on the quality of 70s concerts. I was so excited to see Camel's 1970s performance on DVD but it was really poor production quality and difficult to watch.
    Sorry Mozo, which Camel and Marillion DVDs are you talking about here? I’ve found all the Camel DVDs to look fine for the age of some of the footage so this surprises me.

Sorry Mozo, which Camel and Marillion DVDs are you talking about here? I’ve found all the Camel DVDs to look fine for the age of some of the footage so this surprises me.
    I was really last Friday so maybe I should give the Camel another chance. The 2nd Marillian DVD didn't show the band so I was bored.

Camel - Footage II
    Marillion - With Friends at David's

I was really last Friday so maybe I should give the Camel another chance. The 2nd Marillian DVD didn't show the band so I was bored.

Camel - Footage II
    Marillion - With Friends at David's
    Yeah, you should give the Camel DVD another try! I just checked the Marillion Live at St. David's. They decided for some reason to include the "Marillion with Friends from the Orchestra" studio album in a couple of high-quality audio formats as sort of a bonus on the second disk, along with a "Making Of" documentary. So yeah, aside from the docu, it's an audio-only disk. I just needed to refresh my memory. Well, did you like the first DVD? The whole "With Friends" thing was a bit over-sold, IMO. It makes for an ok live album and live DVD, but not favorites of mine.

Yeah, you should give the Camel DVD another try! I just checked the Marillion Live at St. David's. They decided for some reason to include the "Marillion with Friends from the Orchestra" studio album in a couple of high-quality audio formats as sort of a bonus on the second disk, along with a "Making Of" documentary. So yeah, aside from the docu, it's an audio-only disk. I just needed to refresh my memory. Well, did you like the first DVD? The whole "With Friends" thing was a bit over-sold, IMO. It makes for an ok live album and live DVD, but not favorites of mine.
    I will give the Camel disc another try. I'm going to watch the first disc of Marillion Live at St. David's shortly.

Molvær Live, recorded in 2001.
    What I like about this DVD is the splendit 5.1 surround mix. Molvær's trumpet-effects, Aarset's guitar-manipulations, the live-sampling and turn-table-sounds all are very well mixed in all channels.
    Here's the title-track from Solid Ether:

Love this thread! I thought I was unique, having Friday night concerts at home! Boy was I wrong!!! I’m almost 66, and my hearing has really paid the price of listening way too loudly (mainly live shows) throughout my life. I can no longer attend live shows at all due to this. My ears just can’t take the volume, even with protection. So, I’ve REALLY amped up my at home concerts…..I’ve been collecting DVD (and preferably bluray) for many years. I now have at least 200 in my collection. My recent plays have been The Official Keith Emerson Tribute Concert, Steve Hackett Selling England by the Pound & Spectral Mornings concert, Alan Parsons One Note Symphony, Marillion with Friends, IQ Live Like This, and (even though it is not a concert, Transatlantic’s The Absolute Universe. THIS is the way ALL albums should be released! This is the new standard, IMO. Yesterday I received the new Fish, The Last Straw. Looking forward to this Friday! THAT will be playing at my “concert hall”!!!
    So much music....so little time....

Quote Originally Posted by flatliner View Post
    Love this thread! I thought I was unique, having Friday night concerts at home! Boy was I wrong!!! I’m almost 66, and my hearing has really paid the price of listening way too loudly (mainly live shows) throughout my life. I can no longer attend live shows at all due to this. My ears just can’t take the volume, even with protection. So, I’ve REALLY amped up my at home concerts…..I’ve been collecting DVD (and preferably bluray) for many years. I now have at least 200 in my collection. My recent plays have been The Official Keith Emerson Tribute Concert, Steve Hackett Selling England by the Pound & Spectral Mornings concert, Alan Parsons One Note Symphony, Marillion with Friends, IQ Live Like This, and (even though it is not a concert, Transatlantic’s The Absolute Universe. THIS is the way ALL albums should be released! This is the new standard, IMO. Yesterday I received the new Fish, The Last Straw. Looking forward to this Friday! THAT will be playing at my “concert hall”!!!
    Sorry about not being able to attend concerts but it's fantastic you too have Friday prog nights! I'll check out some the DVD's you mentioned.

As written about in the Polytown-thread: OUT Trio featuring Alex Machacek, Patrick O'Hearn and Terry Bozzio, released by Altitude Digital:

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Molvær Live, recorded in 2001.
    What I like about this DVD is the splendit 5.1 surround mix. Molvær's trumpet-effects, Aarset's guitar-manipulations, the live-sampling and turn-table-sounds all are very well mixed in all channels.
    Here's the title-track from Solid Ether:

This was just posted on Dime, looks interesting.

MARTUX_m crew
    w/ Nils Petter Molvaer + Eivind Aarset
    2013-07-05
    (Jul 5, 2013)
    Meet In Town (MIT)
    Auditorium
    Parco Della Musica
    Rome, Italy

"IMAGINE" - tour

source:
    live-webstream captured by FBAUER
    aired live by italian telekom.it
    http://www.telecomitalia.com/tit/en/mit.html
    screenshot attached in comments section

setlist: (/w start times)

1. 00:00 About A Silent Way
    2. 12:00 Easy If You Try
    3. 20:45 A Life In Peace > (band intro)
    4. 28:00 Not The Only Dreamer
    5. 35:00 About A Silent Way II
    6. 41:30 Remix I ASW

total time 50:12 min.

lineup:
    Maurizio Martusciello - electronics
    Kocleo - electronics
    Zeno - electronics
    Francesco Bearzatti - sax, electronics
    Nils Petter Molvaer - trumpet, electronics
    Eivind Aarset - guitar, electronics
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Last night I watched In Continuum's Live at Progstock bluray. Great performances throughout with a nice MM solo within. Sound, picture & the video editing quality is all superb in my book. Thoroughly enjoyed it! Only thing bad is it ends too soon... just wish it was a longer set.

Quote Originally Posted by reynard View Post
    Last night I watched In Continuum's Live at Progstock bluray. Great performances throughout with a nice MM solo within. Sound, picture & the video editing quality is all superb in my book. Thoroughly enjoyed it! Only thing bad is it ends too soon... just wish it was a longer set.
    Were you in the Kickstarter for this, or did you just order it from Bandcamp? The Kickstarter took over two years to deliver, but Dave Kerzner did everything right as far as communication, so it was ok IMO. I've experienced MUCH worse with Kickstarter!

Dave gets off some very tasty Moog solos on this show, and Randy McStine has some absolutely awesome guitar solos - I'd never heard him play lead solos like that, I'm impressed. The personnel on this show is really awesome! Marco Minneman on drums is incredible!

The only problem is that Fernando Perdomo doesn't get much chance to shine, but as you say the set is too short, unfortunately! They definitely left me wanting more.