Thread: Steve Howe Guitar World interview

Steve Howe Guitar World interview

I listened to The Quest several times after it's initial release but haven't found myself being drawn back to listen to it again since.. what people are finding in that collection of songs is beyond me.. to each their own..

"People forget what a strong singer you are." ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    I listened to The Quest several times after it's initial release but haven't found myself being drawn back to listen to it again since.. what people are finding in that collection of songs is beyond me.. to each their own..
    I haven't seen too many fans here praise the Quest. I guess there are some hardcore fans that will love anything Howe does, but I'm like you, I'm not drawn to it. Its a decent-enough listen and better than Heaven and Earth, but thats about all I can say for it.

The interview was interesting. His response about AWR sounds totally arrogant. Not that I disagree, I had no interest in AWR. I guess if they came to Cincy, I might have gone just to see Wakeman one last time. I much prefer seeing Howe's Yes because he's willing to pull out rarer material. Anderson never seems to want to do anything outside the typical Yes songs.

I really like The Quest, whether it should be called Yes or not is debatable but I just like it for what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    "People forget what a strong singer you are." ;-)
    I literally lol'd when I read this. I enjoyed the article quite a lot, but Howe's vocals have only ever been suitable when combined with Jon and Chris. I write this and then my brain reminds me that I love the terrible singing on Australia from Beginnings precisely because it's a solo record. Parts of the Quest are what you get when there is no one left in the band to remind the long-serving guitarist that this isn't a solo album with guest musicians all dressed up with the fancy name of a once great band!

I suppose there's no way this hasn't been posted 100x on this board, but if there's even one person that hasn't seen it, it's worth posting again. Regis called this "Yes" but neither Howe nor Bruford were in Yes at the time.

Howe is not a good singer. Sounds like he's singing his normal harmony vocal, not a lead. Either way his voice isn't lead material. And Bruford isn't exactly playing very creatively either for that matter.

Wakeman interview that mentions meeting Howe for lunch and other stories:
    https://www.loudersound.com/features...my-solo-albums

Excerpts:
    Have you heard the new Yes album, The Quest, their first without Chris Squire?
    No, I haven’t, though I am having lunch with Steve [Howe] in a couple of weeks. That everybody hates each other is a complete myth. There’s a lot of mutual respect between us all.

What would you buy Boris Johnson for Christmas?
    You can take this any away you like: I would give him my entire collection of solo albums, and make him listen to them all.

Wow, he must really hate Boris

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    What would you buy Boris Johnson for Christmas?
    You can take this any away you like: I would give him my entire collection of solo albums, and make him listen to them all.

Wow, he must really hate Boris
    That gave me a chuckle! I’m sure there’s something in the Geneva Convention about that kind of thing…not that I would be in favour of showing any mercy.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I really like The Quest, whether it should be called Yes or not is debatable but I just like it for what it is.
    I love The Quest and it sounds like a Yes album to me with many ingredients of the band. Just enjoyed revisiting.