Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Winter Olympics 2022 - Let the Corruption and Cronyism Begin!

And then there is this
    https://imgur.com/gallery/JOaScSf
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

A great essay on why this Olympics just isn't working

https://slate.com/culture/2022/02/be...on-escape.html
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

It's all a game of one sort or another. Different factions spinning things one way or another for gain.
    The one aspect, which is not recent but seems to be suffering from mission creep, is the 'team competitions'.
    IMHO a sport is competed by the number of individuals needed to 'do' the sport.
    Hockey, curling, volleyball, soccer, track relays etc are team sports.
    Skating ( pairs excepted ), skiing, gymnastics are individual based sports.
    Trying to moosh a bunch of individual athletes into a 'team' for national glory, is to me, filler material.

I get the 'need' to remain relevant and attract attention to the olympics, but I think there is no need to expand the 'national team' concept to more events.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Meanwhile, another Russian athlete is shockingly accused of doping.

Early reports are that it's the 15-year-old skater Kamila Valieva, who apparently is the first female to "land a quad." (You couldn't pay me to watch figure skating)
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post

Jerol, that article is just pure depressing. Not so much for what it says, but the extent to which it goes to say it. About the only item I thought worth mentioning when reading was this...

Think whatever you will about any of it, but the line between the Beijing Olympics and a bunch of more important events is verging on nonexistent. The Beijing Games are the purest, most uncut version of a (correct) worldview that says sports and the things happening around them cannot be separated.
    The irony of that statement is that, from my perspective, while some people may not be interested in watching the Olympics because of the "more important events" they are tied to, a greater number of people are not tuning in because media and social media INSIST on tying them together in the first place. It turns people off.

He says "The rationalizing and compartmentalizing that sports tend to require isn’t working this time." That's what happens when you go down that rabbit hole in the first place. In reading that article, the author was practically drowning in his own attempts to find a way to dig himself out, and he couldn't.

What a miserable existence one must lead when they are incapable of making this separation, and when they come to the realization that the world sucks and everything is defined by its most negative attribute.

Anyway, while I did watch (and record) many hours of the Summer Olympics, the Winter games has less interest to me in general, so I can't get excited about it. Additionally, as I have said with music, there is just oodles of content out there to watch vying for my attention. Lastly, I will say that I want to tune in to watch the sport and competition, not anything else. So I probably won't watch much in the end.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

^^^ I should add, I'll feel better when I know baseball is back.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar

I didn't read the article, so I can't comment specifically on this points it makes (although reading the headline I can see their gist and disagree with it), but for me this winter olympics is working just fine. I've gotten alot of excitement (and at times other less positive emotions) out of the nearly a week of competition. I wish America was doing a bit better, but its not all just about america for me. Its always been about watching sports (specifically sports I only get to see once every four years) and enjoying world class athelets under immense pressure.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

I may be old fashion on this but my biggest whine about Olympics (and in general international sports) is whatever has happened to competition of the nations.
    There are no more national teams. The competition often looks like a contest between teams of mercenaries.

For instance I just watched US-China hockey. How the hell Chinese can feel proud if their ice hockey team consists of Canadians, Americans, Russians with 6 Chinese benchwarmers thrown into the mix.

And it is not only China, many other nations do the same thing in different sports

I know it seems unfair for the smaller nations to compete with much bigger countries but then again any of their success is so much sweater.

It is just gross when the countries just try to buy their success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Progmatic View Post
    I may be old fashion on this but my biggest whine about Olympics (and in general international sports) is whatever has happened to competition of the nations.
    There are no more national teams. The competition often looks like a contest between teams of mercenaries.

For instance I just watched US-China hockey. How the hell Chinese can feel proud if their ice hockey team consists of Canadians, Americans, Russians with 6 Chinese benchwarmers thrown into the mix.

And it is not only China, many other nations do the same thing in different sports

I know it seems unfair for the smaller nations to compete with much bigger countries but then again any of their success is so much sweater.

It is just gross when the countries just try to buy their success.

That's perhaps one reason, why I don't really like teamsports.

Fucking Russians, the filthy cheating never stops. Kamila Valieva tested positive for a heart medication in December. Said medication gives a boost to your cardio system and endurance. FFS, under what legitimate reason would a fifteen-year-old athlete need a heart medication. And if she tested positive in December, why the hell was she even allowed to get into the Olympics in the first place? This one stinks to high heaven.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Suspend her Russian ass and kick that sham team out of the Games.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

FUCK YEAH!
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Boot the entire team!

I have to wonder if the girl in question had much input in the decision to take the drug. Hell, I wonder if parents were even consulted. Nonetheless, boot the entire team and keep that entire country out of the Olympics.

I thought the reason the team was called the 'Russian Olympic Committee' because of a previous ban on the country Russia because of doping violations in 2017.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Olympic_Committee
    So yeah, this should be the equivalent of a third strike.
    -- Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Suspend her Russian ass and kick that sham team out of the Games.
    You have to deal one case at the time.

Imaging MLB would boot out Yankeees team because of ARod. It is just not fair to the other players who are clean.

Watching curling. Always get a kick out of it. Looks like shuffleboard with broom sticks.....

The captain of the Swedish women's curling team, Anna Hasselborg, is impossibly cute.

Caught the 3rd period of US vs Germany men's hockey this morning. US remains undefeated and earn a bye in the medal round.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    The captain of the Swedish women's curling team, Anna Hasselborg, is impossibly cute.
    This is how i feel about Eve Muirhead, the skip of the British team.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Watching curling. Always get a kick out of it. Looks like shuffleboard with broom sticks.....
    My wife is part Italian and part Norwegian, and she was watching Italy vs. Norway in curling. The announcer referred to the "eye-talian" team.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I guess it's "anything goes" for the Russians...

Olympics to allow Russian ice skater to compete despite positive drugs test
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I haven't watched any of the Winter Olympics out of sheer disinterest, but imo, this is the kind of thing that could kill off the Olympics altogether.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    The more stupid thing is they are allowing the 15 year old Russian skater to compete! I think they said they wouldn't give awards until the situation is dealt with but I could be wrong. It' actually well beyond stupid, it's criminal.

For me, I'm loving the games. Where else could Canada be equal to the U.S. in medal counts (hahaha). The downhill racing has been spectacular. The bobsled was cool and I'm watching the figure skating to please my wife. I want to watch Cda and the U.S. in men's hockey (and the women's). The snowboarding has been cool too.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 02-15-2022 at 12:31 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

^^ one could argue that it's about the antiquated thinking re: marijuana as much as anything.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"