Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Your all time favorite concert.

Your all time favorite concert.

I understand that this will be a tough one, as i am sure that most of us have attended many great shows over the years,but if you had to pick one concert in particular, which one would that be for you.
    For me it was seeing Genesis in March 1974 for the selling England by the pound tour.
    I was seated in the second row with a buddy of mine at the Gusman philharmonic hall , in Miami Florida
    Genesis were incredible, the entire concert was fantastic but one thing in particular stood out for me, near the end of the suppers ready suite.
    I had no knowledge that explosives would be employed, so when explosives went off me and my friend were blown half way out of our seats, and all i could see was smoke, which most likely lasted just a minute or 2 . We were not hurt and quite delighted to both be alive.
    I will never forget that show on many levels.

You are correct that it is difficult. Having seen Yes, Genesis, ELP, Strawbs, Ponty, McGlaughlin, UK, and many other top bands, it is really a tough call, but I’d have to say that any of the three King Crimson shows (1981, 2018, 2021) would be number one….probably 1981.

There have been so many, but I might have to go with a slightly obvious choice and say Peter Gabriel on the Up tour. He was such an incredible showman and his band were so tight. I saw it twice actually, the first was an indoor show in December and then the following summer at an outdoor amphitheater. Both were excellent but that first one was truly something to see.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Zappa 88 Cleveland Music Hall
    Artist formerly known as Phlakaton

Yes 1998 at various venues, had great seats for all of them - they were on fire. No doubt if I'd seen them in the 70's that would have been even better. Closest runner up is Steven Wilson at 2 of the nights at the Royal Albert Hall on the HCE tour.

Wow, I have seen hundreds and hundreds so very difficult. Off the top of my head I am going to go with the 2nd leg of Pink Floyd's "Momentary Lapse Of Reason" tour at The Palace Of Auburn Hills near Detroit Michigan. I had seen the tour the first time it came through at The Pontiac Silverdome which held 80,000 people. That show was great, but seeing them in a smaller venue (about 20,000) was as close to perfection as I have ever seen. The music was perfect, the surround sound was perfect, the visuals were perfect, just everything about that show was amazing and I still remember it well to this day.

Hatfield and the North

Nearfest

Banco at Nearfest 2001. Second choice would be ELP at Spectrum in January 1978.
    Last edited by jefftiger; 01-10-2022 at 01:35 PM.

Definitely the Genesis Lamb show at the Academy of music in NYC December of 74'. The music, slides, costumes and Pyrotechnics during the Lamb performance were all mind blowing. Even after all of that the most powerful moment of the show for me was when they played The Musical box which is arguably one the most quintessential songs that represents early Genesis music. Actually got to experience it again a week later in NJ great times great memories!

Difficult task naming just one.. most likely seeing Moraz with Yes in the mid 70's.. amazing experience

Magma at Le Guess Who? 2015 in Utrecht. The band was on hellfire.
    bassist in Papangu, a zeuhl metal band from Brazil https://papangu.bandcamp.com/album/holoceno

World premier of Smile.
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"

Banned
    Genesis - April 1976, Trick Of The Tail Tour (Kansas City) Stunning, breathtaking and over the top.

Runners Up
    Genesis - June 1980, Duke Tour
    Yes - March, 1984, 90125 Tour
    Renaissance - 1979

Philadelphia Spectrum, Feb. 16, 1974. Yes, on the Topographic Oceans tour. They played the entire Close To The Edge and Topographic albums. And of course Roundabout which was still fairly new back then.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Marillion on the Clutching at Straws tour in Rochester. I was so into the band and that album, and getting to see them at that point was like a dream come true. If not for that show I’d be answering that it was the Crimson Discipline show in 81 or 82, or Gabriel on the Security tour.

Pink Floyd. The Division Bell tour, Ohio State University Stadium "The Horseshoe" in Columbus, May 1994. Fantastic musical performance and an awesome spectacle all around.

Quote Originally Posted by jefftiger View Post
    Banco at Nearfest 2001. Second choice would be ELP at Spectrum in January 1978.
    That Banco show was amazing for sure.

Yes, June 1979 in Springfield, MA. Closest I came to seeing a true vintage 70s Prog show, and they were amazing on this tour.

Quote Originally Posted by jefftiger View Post
    Banco at Nearfest 2001.
    They were better at ProgFest in 2000. More intense performance, and better sound.

Bill

The one and only Genesis concert I saw in 1992 at Dodger Stadium in L.A. was utterly magical. Amazing performances, fantastic staging and effects, and an overall musical chemistry that I'll never forget. I was far from the stage but I felt like it didn't matter, the music just pushed my buttons so well that night.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Ow this is indeed a difficult one. King Crimson (2015, 2016, 2018, 2019) Dio in 1998, Transatlantic in 2010, Stratovarius in 2000, Wolves in the Throne Room in 2009. But if I really have to pick one I would say Renaissance in 2015. Brought me to tears.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    There have been so many, but I might have to go with a slightly obvious choice and say Peter Gabriel on the Up tour. He was such an incredible showman and his band were so tight. I saw it twice actually, the first was an indoor show in December and then the following summer at an outdoor amphitheater. Both were excellent but that first one was truly something to see.
    There are a bunch of really close seconds, including a Yes show that would be the other main candidate, but I'd say Gabriel on the So tour is my favorite. I was 18 and it was a mind blowing combination of band, showman and music. I've answered this one talking with friends before and it is always this Gabriel concert in Milwaukee.

This is kind of a tough choice, but in terms of what it meant to me personally I’d have to say seeing Genesis last November on the Last Domino tour. The band sounded incredible, and it was so good to see Phil in seemingly good spirits. I’d never seen Genesis before, so it was a milestone for me. Plus the people who went with me made it extra special.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    That Banco show was amazing for sure.
    Yep. Nektar the following year is up there for me too. Anglagard were very good at Nearfest and also Rosfest. Camel were great at NF too.

For me I guess either ABWH in 89 or Yes Union in 1991. Rush were also very good every time I have seen them. Steven Wilson in 2005 was also a fantastic concert and one I rate as one of the best (not counting festival shows).
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I can't imagine how to identify one show that is the best. I quite liked UP but enjoyed III or IV the most. There is simply too many shows over the 46 years I've been attending concerts.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)