Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Second half of Rush

There's nothing boring about Grace Under Pressure...quite the opposite!

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    There's nothing boring about Grace Under Pressure...quite the opposite!
    Fully agreed. My favourite Rush album, and I genuinely love their entire career.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    My favourite period of Rush is from Permanent Waves to Grace Under Pressure. Beginning from Counterparts band became totally boring and predictable. Fortunately their last album Clockwork Angels was much better.
    I'm kinda in with ya on this too - A handfull of tunes across those albums were good - but I was also bummed out by the amount of acoustic guitar of some too - meh. Clock... damn good in comparison. I would submit too - the single was mixed way better than the album - got muddy
    Artist formerly known as Phlakaton

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunchentootz View Post
    I'm kinda in with ya on this too - A handfull of tunes across those albums were good - but I was also bummed out by the amount of acoustic guitar of some too - meh. Clock... damn good in comparison. I would submit too - the single was mixed way better than the album - got muddy
    Which single? As I recall they released 2 or 3. But I can’t remember what passes for a single back then. At least a couple of songs were released before the album I think, but was there a physical single?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Which single? As I recall they released 2 or 3. But I can’t remember what passes for a single back then. At least a couple of songs were released before the album I think, but was there a physical single?
    Caravan single - also has BU2B
    Artist formerly known as Phlakaton

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchentootz View Post
    Caravan single - also has BU2B
    And the single version of BU2B is more preferable to me without that unnecessary tacked-on intro that made the final album.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    And the single version of BU2B is more preferable to me without that unnecessary tacked-on intro that made the final album.
    Was there a physical single? I don't think I mind the intro, but I'll have to check!

Was there a physical single? I don't think I mind the intro, but I'll have to check!
    Up here there was, just a thin cardboard digisleeve. I'm not sure if it ever made it to the states.

I believe that in the US it was only available as a download.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Yes, CD and 7" vinyl in the US. I have both.

https://www.discogs.com/release/2870...h-Caravan-BU2B
    https://www.discogs.com/release/4559...h-Caravan-BU2B
    Last edited by Nearfest2; 07-20-2022 at 01:39 PM.
    Chad

My second half of Rush begins with Grace Under Pressure. I was okay with all the various changes in sound and style up to that point. I liked Distant Early Warning when I heard it previewed and bought the album but didn't care much for the rest of it. No Broon, a Steinberger bass, digital keyboards and a dearth of Rush-y "events" was a change I wasn't okay with. When Power Windows came out, I heard the preview of Big Money and liked that too, but decided I wasn't going to make the same mistake as with GUP and didn't buy it. Turned out to be a mistake.

By then I figured Rush was never returning to the heavy prog style I enjoyed in the past so I stopped paying attention. I did buy the video for Show of Hands and found the post-Signals songs to be more palatable live, but not enough to get me to buy the studio albums.

When I decided to catch up with Rush again years later, I found Power Windows to be a gem. The songs were great and contained way more proggy bits than GUP, and the quality of the songs was enough to overcome the over-the-top keyboards. Hold Your Fire was the longest Rush album up to that point and while I liked some of the songs there were some that were disposable. I was disappointed in the weak production and found myself wishing that these 3 albums had Broon at the helm; I probably would have liked them more.

The next 3 albums I can't stand. Presto and RTB sound like Rush-lite, with few proggy "events" and a whole lotta verse/chorus arrangements that drag on too long. Counterparts was hailed as a return to heavy Rush but it was also short on "events" and along with the too-long verse/chorus arrangements, the overall sound was cluttered with layered guitars and vocals and Ged's new "flamenco" technique.

Test for Echo rates low with fans but I like it enough that I can listen to it. I find it more proggy than the previous albums. Vapor Trails was unlistenable until the remix and it's still such an oddball departure from any of their previous sounds that I still don't know what to make of it, but I don't hate it. Apart from Far Cry and the instrumentals, I can't stand Snakes & Arrows, all mid-tempo sludge with awkward lyrics and melodies. Clockwork Angels was a fine farewell, plenty proggy and adventurous although noisy in the production.

1. Power Windows
    2. Clockwork Angels
    3. Test for Echo
    4. Grace Under Pressure
    5. Hold Your Fire
    6. Vapor Trails
    the rest don't even rate...
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

A remix of CMFA would be really, really nice.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    My second half of Rush begins with Grace Under Pressure. I was okay with all the various changes in sound and style up to that point. I liked Distant Early Warning when I heard it previewed and bought the album but didn't care much for the rest of it. No Broon, a Steinberger bass, digital keyboards and a dearth of Rush-y "events" was a change I wasn't okay with. When Power Windows came out, I heard the preview of Big Money and liked that too, but decided I wasn't going to make the same mistake as with GUP and didn't buy it. Turned out to be a mistake.

By then I figured Rush was never returning to the heavy prog style I enjoyed in the past so I stopped paying attention. I did buy the video for Show of Hands and found the post-Signals songs to be more palatable live, but not enough to get me to buy the studio albums.

When I decided to catch up with Rush again years later, I found Power Windows to be a gem. The songs were great and contained way more proggy bits than GUP, and the quality of the songs was enough to overcome the over-the-top keyboards. Hold Your Fire was the longest Rush album up to that point and while I liked some of the songs there were some that were disposable. I was disappointed in the weak production and found myself wishing that these 3 albums had Broon at the helm; I probably would have liked them more.

The next 3 albums I can't stand. Presto and RTB sound like Rush-lite, with few proggy "events" and a whole lotta verse/chorus arrangements that drag on too long. Counterparts was hailed as a return to heavy Rush but it was also short on "events" and along with the too-long verse/chorus arrangements, the overall sound was cluttered with layered guitars and vocals and Ged's new "flamenco" technique.

Test for Echo rates low with fans but I like it enough that I can listen to it. I find it more proggy than the previous albums. Vapor Trails was unlistenable until the remix and it's still such an oddball departure from any of their previous sounds that I still don't know what to make of it, but I don't hate it. Apart from Far Cry and the instrumentals, I can't stand Snakes & Arrows, all mid-tempo sludge with awkward lyrics and melodies. Clockwork Angels was a fine farewell, plenty proggy and adventurous although noisy in the production.

1. Power Windows
    2. Clockwork Angels
    3. Test for Echo
    4. Grace Under Pressure
    5. Hold Your Fire
    6. Vapor Trails
    the rest don't even rate...
    Totally get what you're saying re: PW but the production does get in the way for me.

Leaving at only 5 discs post Signals:

- GUP
    - Clockwork
    - Counterparts
    - Presto
    - PW

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

I remember PE just tearing Vapor Trail apart left and right, and a lot of folks still are it seems, but this album was so important to me personally...I mean I only got into Rush in the mid 90s, and it looked like the band was about to disappear by 98 in the wake of Neil's personal tragedies....seeing them on stage again with my two best friends and my older brother (RIP) was one of the best moments of my life...and years later when the remix cd came out, my late husband got it for me as an anniversary gift....And now 20 years later, my own personal tragedies have mirrored Neils a little bit, and a lot of themes on this album resonate even more for me. Celebrating "One Little Victory" is all it takes to keep going sometimes.....but I definitely feel lost in a vapor trail sometimes too.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Grace Under Pressure turns 40! I wrote a review of what I think is the last really good album by Rush: https://pienemmatpurot.com/review-ru...pressure-1984/
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/