Thread: Genesis “I know what I like” live 1973 question ??

Genesis “I know what I like” live 1973 question ??

One question that I’ve always wondered is why on the ‘selling England by the pound’ tour Mike Rutherford sometimes played real bass (as on the Shepperton Studios footage) on ‘I know what I like’ yet another instances on the same tour played bass pedal throughout the entire song and no real bass (live at rainbow 1973 version of IKWIL… Does anyone know why the change in approach ??

Hmmn, will have to go back and listen. Bass pedal is certainly front an center on the Rainbow version (particularly the mix on archive 1), but i thought he played bass guitar also.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Pedals Rock View Post
    One question that I’ve always wondered is why on the ‘selling England by the pound’ tour Mike Rutherford sometimes played real bass (as on the Shepperton Studios footage) on ‘I know what I like’ yet another instances on the same tour played bass pedal throughout the entire song and no real bass (live at rainbow 1973 version of IKWIL… Does anyone know why the change in approach ??
    Good question! I often notice when Mike is NOT playing bass in live shows. The bass pedals were very helpful for freeing him from bass guitar duties so as to allow the patented “Genesis 12-String mixture.” Naturally, they could pretty much shake the place which I always loved.

A list of the songs played live that he used pedals on, and a list of when he did not play bass guitar would be interesting. (As well as a list when he would play guitar, bass, and bass pedals at various points in the same song.)

Noting your screen name, the obvious question is “do you play them?” (I have a set of Taurus IIIs.)

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    A list of the songs played live that he used pedals on, and a list of when he did not play bass guitar would be interesting. (As well as a list when he would play guitar, bass, and bass pedals at various points in the same song.)

Noting your screen name, the obvious question is “do you play them?” (I have a set of Taurus IIIs.)
    The guy in the Musical Box may have such a list.

My current arsenal includes an original Taurus and a Roland PK-5.

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    The guy in the Musical Box may have such a list.

My current arsenal includes an original Taurus and a Roland PK-5.
    Yup, they are the Masters of Genesis stagecraft. (I bet Daryl S knows all as well.)

Original Taurus! Very cool.
    And a PK-5 too? I have always wanted a second set of pedals to trigger other sounds. (I have the 12 Step but it just isn’t the same as real pedals.)

Yeah, the Taurus doesn't leave the house much. PK-5 is awesome, and you can do some great things when paired with a multi timbrel synth. I use a Juno-G. Surprisingly powerful little guy.

I had a 12 Step but got rid of it pretty quickly. Seemed like you really had to mash those little pads pretty hard and I couldn't do anything really intricate with it. I recently stumbled across this guy in Russia who makes some interesting looking stuff. Can't find the link now, but I'll check my personal laptop later.

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    Yeah, the Taurus doesn't leave the house much. PK-5 is awesome, and you can do some great things when paired with a multi timbrel synth. I use a Juno-G. Surprisingly powerful little guy.

I had a 12 Step but got rid of it pretty quickly. Seemed like you really had to mash those little pads pretty hard and I couldn't do anything really intricate with it. I recently stumbled across this guy in Russia who makes some interesting looking stuff. Can't find the link now, but I'll check my personal laptop later.
    Your observations make perfect sense to me. Please do post that info if you find it.

I'm actually doing some keyboard maintenance tonight, so that will remind me to look. The guy makes one similar to Chris Squire's where it's 13 of those effects pedal type footswitches instead of actual pedals.

EDIT - AND I found it. You'll have to translate from Russian - https://midicontr.com/page16917834.html

Wow! LOTS of products.