Thread: new releases on Punos Music

new releases on Punos Music

Nick Didkovsky and Mark Howell: Screaming into the Yawning Vacuum of Victory (EP)

Mark Howell and Nick Didkovsky first began working together in 1989 in Fred Frith's electric guitar quartet. They've enjoyed years of friendship since.

During Mark's visit to New York City in 2021, he and Nick grabbed a few hours during the afternoons of 9/6 and 9/24 to record some guitar duos. They brought a wide range of ideas, compositions, and sketches to the table and worked fast, recording roughly half of the 21 tracks here in each session.

We are thrilled to be working together again, and very excited to present the music we made together here!

Links to Bandcamp and physical tangibles are here:
    http://www.punosmusic.com/didkovskyhowell/

Thanks
    Nick

Nick Didkovsky - Now I Do This

Nick's 1982 solo record re-released for the first time!

Early experimental compositions using prepared guitar, electronics, homemade instruments, tape manipulation... some of the freakiest, most staunchly don't-care-who-likes-this music I've ever made.

"Now I Do This" was my first solo record, released on vinyl in 1982. About half of this material was created at The MacColl Studio for Electronic Music at Brown University, where Gerald "Shep" Shapiro was my instructor and mentor. After graduation, I bought a 1/2" four track Scully tape deck, and produced the rest of these pieces at home or at The Creative Music Studio with this amazing machine. All I have left of the Scully today is the splicing block.

Now, for the first time since 1982, you hear this.

Links to Bandcamp and physical tangibles are here:
    http://www.punosmusic.com/nowidothis/

Thanks
    Nick

both of these are terrific! Now I do This sounds very contemporary, hasn't aged a day. Really dig them both. The Didkovsky/Howell release is totally primitive-modern and if you look and listen hard enough, this out-maths many of the math rock bands out there now.

both totally recommended

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

Serengeti Svengali Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    I generally don't buy CD-Rs but 'Now I Do This' is certainly worthy of a physical purchase. Will listen to the other one in the near future.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    I generally don't buy CD-Rs but 'Now I Do This' is certainly worthy of a physical purchase.
    Thanks very much! And I get it about CD-R's . The audio files I posted to Bandcamp exceed audio CD quality, so that might be a better fit in any case ( they are 96k/24 bit ) . There's also a PDF of a full ensemble score to one of the bonus tracks included in the BC... so the virtual package ain't too shabby.
    Rock on
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by neuroticdog View Post
    this out-maths many of the math rock bands out there now.
    ^^^ shared this quotable quote with Mark today, who was delighted. THANKS!

I won't post my whole write-up but, if interested you can read it here on the AMN page:

https://avantmusicnews.com/2021/12/1...1-punos-music/

both of these get better and better with each listen.

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

Very proud to announce the release of "Profane Riddles" a new record of my electric guitar music.

The nine intricately embroidered tracks on Profane Riddles will reward deep and careful listening, and I hope people can carve out 31 minutes of uninterrupted time so they can float away with it.

Super happy how nicely the art was printed, too! The tangible/incarnate release includes a 12 page booklet that really came out great.

Find out more at Bandcamp or Punos Music

Rock on
    Nick

IMG_5351smaller.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorNerve View Post
    Very proud to announce the release of "Profane Riddles" a new record of my electric guitar music.

The nine intricately embroidered tracks on Profane Riddles will reward deep and careful listening, and I hope people can carve out 31 minutes of uninterrupted time so they can float away with it.

Super happy how nicely the art was printed, too! The tangible/incarnate release includes a 12 page booklet that really came out great.

Find out more at Bandcamp or Punos Music

Rock on
    Nick

IMG_5351smaller.jpg
    Love the concept of just Guitar and it works very well. Listening now on short coach journey. Perfect travel music.

To add . Would love to see a gear list for this album. Please do tell.

Last edited by clivey; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by clivey View Post
    Love the concept of just Guitar and it works very well. Listening now on short coach journey. Perfect travel music.

To add . Would love to see a gear list for this album. Please do tell.

Hi Clivey

Thanks for listening! Most of Profane Riddles was recorded in one session using a 1967 Gibson SG Special with 70's era John Birch pickups (Hyperflux in the bridge position and Biflux in the neck position). I recorded a direct signal (which sounded fantastic, much to my surprise and delight), as well as a 1972 Marshall Super Bass (modded to Super Lead specs) and a Harry Kolbe 1x12 ported cab with EV12L speaker. No stompboxes or pedals. The guitar tone is a pretty straightforward mix of the direct signal and SM57 mic on the amp.

Here's a couple of pics...

SG_MARSHALL_76756876_10157641892970690_44169228923699200_n.jpg SG_CLOSEUP_447023525_10161130328675690_2456306490382509512_n.jpg

Pretty straightforward mix... each consecutive pair of faders are amp + direct respectively.Screenshot 2024-05-30 at 1.09.18 AM.jpg

Bruce Gallanter at Downtown Music Gallery has some in stock.
    You can support his store by ordering at https://www.downtownmusicgallery.com/
    Enter profane riddles into the Search our store form and you'll find it immediately.