Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Album recommendations, no genre

This.... is a fanTAStic idea for a thread. I'll chime in with the one and only Vertu album (Stanley Clarke, Lenny White, guitarist Richie Kotzen, violinist Karen Briggs and .... I always forget the keyboard player's name! Rachel Z? And in another universe entirely, Everything Will Be Alright In The End by Weezer - is an album FULL of ear worms, sneer and giant leaps (for them, IMHO) of imagination. Cannot get the songs out of my head - and I LIKE it!

[QUOTE=No Pride;348411]I enjoyed those tracks; thanks! I've known of Leo forever, but wasn't that familiar with his work.

If you like solo acoustic guitar, you might enjoy Tommy Emmanuel

I like him even though, I'd never heard of him. What type guitar is it he's playing in the top video? I can make out the head stock. Just curious.

I've always enjoyed this one:

I still get in the mood for The James Gang's second lp ever so often too:

Another one from the late 60-ish period:

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    This.... is a fanTAStic idea for a thread. I'll chime in with the one and only Vertu album (Stanley Clarke, Lenny White, guitarist Richie Kotzen, violinist Karen Briggs and .... I always forget the keyboard player's name! Rachel Z? And in another universe entirely, Everything Will Be Alright In The End by Weezer - is an album FULL of ear worms, sneer and giant leaps (for them, IMHO) of imagination. Cannot get the songs out of my head - and I LIKE it!
    yea, the keys were Rachel Carmel Nicolazzo better known as Rachel Z
    i.ain't.dead.irock

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Steven Miller - Singing Whale Songs in a Low Voice was never was released on CD, which is a shame because it deserves a proper CD release. I inadvertently purchased this album thinking it was that other Steve Miller but wound up liking this one. I wore out my cassette a long time ago, but a rather generous PE member made me a CD-R copy of his vinyl (and it sounds superb).

More of an engineer and producer than performer, he did write, produce and perform upon a couple of his own titles. 'Singing Whale Songs In A Low Voice' is listed as avant-garde jazz, but it isn't really that adventurous, more like '70s fusion and contemporary jazz. Here, Miller performs on several different instruments including keyboards and guitar as well as composing - very well I might add (this release does include several other performers as well). It has its moments of intricate fusion, such as Dreams Passed By Pts 1-4 as well as Forgotten Parkland and Truffles In Transit, all of which could have fit nicely on a Weather Report or Return To Forever album. By the same token, the beautiful, minimalist Simple Song could rival Bob James or Dave Gruisin's best efforts and Little Bird (passarihno) is as catchy and ebulant as anything Spyro Gyra ever did. A very engaging album. Sadly, this being a sort of personal project, it never really received much of a push, being on Miller's own small Hip Pocket label. Thus it was never released on CD, which is ironic given that Miller was one of the industry's earliest champions of digital recording technology and served as a board member to the RIAA for its Compact Disc division. Very well recorded as one might expect, it did embrace the technology of the day (1883) so the sound is a tad dated at times. Still, this is one of the '80s better jazz releases and just begs to be released on CD. One can only hope that if Mr. Miller is still with us, he might get around to doing just that.

Singing Whale Songs in a Low Voice always reminds me of Pat Metheny.

I have my collection arranged alphabetically, and believe it or not the first album to pop into my head is the first one alphabetically: Abigail's Ghost- Selling Insincerity (my album of the year in '07).
    I highly recommend it to any (even casual) fans of Riverside, late-period P. Tree, or the 'alt-prog' subgenre in general. They hail from Louisiana, and while there sophomore release d_letion ('09) leaves a lot to be desired, their debut delivers the goods (imho). While the song structures might be slightly more simplistic than some of the more avant-garde fans care for, they do thank Steven 'frowns a lot' Wilson (nickname theirs, not mine) in the liner notes. Not to mention, they did play either Rosfest or Nearfest some years ago, so hopefully that's enough for at least a little 'prog cred' here.
    'The smell of strange colours are heard everywhere'- Threshold

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    Aztec Cameras "High land, hard rain" (1983)
    I love this album so freaking much. Right in the middle of the synth-pop era comes this fantastic acoustic guitar pop album! Roddy Frame was never so brilliant as he was here.

This.... is a fanTAStic idea for a thread. I'll chime in with the one and only Vertu album (Stanley Clarke, Lenny White, guitarist Richie Kotzen, violinist Karen Briggs and .... I always forget the keyboard player's name! Rachel Z?
    Wow, I thought I was the only one who still listened to this! A fine fusion disc.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Steven Miller - Singing Whale Songs in a Low Voice was never was released on CD, which is a shame because it deserves a proper CD release. I inadvertently purchased this album thinking it was that other Steve Miller but wound up liking this one. I wore out my cassette a long time ago, but a rather generous PE member made me a CD-R copy of his vinyl (and it sounds superb).
    Not the same guy who played on Caravan’s Waterloo Lily, surely. I know he had that half-album The Story So Far...Oh Really! with Lol Coxhill on the other side.

Very well recorded as one might expect, it did embrace the technology of the day (1883)
    Wax cylinder?
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I love this album so freaking much. Right in the middle of the synth-pop era comes this fantastic acoustic guitar pop album! Roddy Frame was never so brilliant as he was here.
    Yeah progbear, this album has always held a special place in my collection. I consider it a masterpiece, and aztec camera never topped it. Deep and obscure, even haunting, lyrics... Finely crafted and unusual acoustic guitar. This one got swept under the radar by many.
    Still alive and well...

Rene Lussier-Le Tresor de la Langue(1989)

Canadian(Quebecois) guitarist Rene Lussier recorded this superb work,which transforms language into music/music into language.It probably helps a bit if you speak/understand French(i don't) but that lack won't keep the music from knocking your socks off.It sure 'nuff blew me away..still does.

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

the one and only Vertu album (Stanley Clarke, Lenny White, guitarist Richie Kotzen, violinist Karen Briggs and .... I always forget the keyboard player's name! Rachel Z? And in another universe entirely, Everything Will Be Alright In The End by Weezer - is an album FULL of ear worms, sneer and giant leaps (for them, IMHO) of imagination. Cannot get the songs out of my head - and I LIKE it!
    Cool. Thank You for the recommendation: Now on my "To Do" list

[QUOTE=hippypants;350375]
    Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I enjoyed those tracks; thanks! I've known of Leo forever, but wasn't that familiar with his work.

If you like solo acoustic guitar, you might enjoy Tommy Emmanuel

I like him even though, I'd never heard of him. What type guitar is it he's playing in the top video? I can make out the head stock. Just curious.
    It's a Maton. They're made in Australia, where Tommy's from. He's got his own signature model, of course!

There are tons of Tommy Emmanuel videos on YT. You should watch a half dozen or so to start getting an idea of how much ground he covers musically. He comes from the Chet Atkins school of jazzy country music, but he crosses multiple genres between all of the covers he does and his own tunes. I've seen him play a two hour show and it never got boring for a second. Besides being an amazing player, he's a great entertainer too!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post

I'll recommend Masque of Shadows by Yoke Shire (1999). '70s style hard rock sprinkled with just a hint of prog. Not of duff tune on it and even includes a longish suite. Killer production as well.
    The first track on that is killer, and seems like it could've/should've been a hit, the same way that Metallica's Enter Sandman was.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Carl Hupp - Hyper Statue

Carl is a friend of mine and I was just blown away that someone I knew could write and record such an incredible album.
    Recommended also to fans of Happy The Man; Stanley Whitaker is one of the guitarists. There's also a nice cover of Bruford's Five G on it.

I had some brief contact with Carl and he was so kind to sent me a t-shirt (which I only use to sleep in, because it's so big ;-) ).

The album came with a DVD with interviews and in-the-studio-recordings.

http://carlhupp.com/

Lyle Workman - Purple Passages

Lyle is an L.A. session guitar player and film scorer who has contributed to some classic albums many of you have heard like Jellyfish's "Spilt Milk" and Kevin Gilbert's "Thud." He's made three instrumental solo albums so far and they're all great, but I think his first one, "Purple Passages" is the best, despite the fact that all of the drum tracks are a machine (it IS some of the most ambitious drum programming you'll ever hear, but it's still a machine). But that doesn't negate the fantastic guitar playing and composing throughout this album. If I had to categorize it, I guess I'd call it "prog/fusion," but whatever; I think it's just great music! Here's the only two tracks from it that I could find on YouTube:
    I love all his albums. When the second one was released I tried to order this Purple Passages through CDBaby.com. I got a personal note from Lyle. He offered me a personal copy. He sent it to me including four signed plectrums, which I arranged nicely into the jewel-case (an idea Lyle liked very much). Well, of course I told him I was very much impressed by the drum programming. He replied with a smile that most of the compliments he got was on that programming, as if his guitar-playing didn't impress too.

He also worked with singer-songwriter Tom McRae, who's first album I recommend strongly, and with Dutch singer Ilse DeLange.

There are tons of Tommy Emmanuel videos on YT.
    Full concert here if you've got the time and inclination:

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    I love all his albums. When the second one was released I tried to order this Purple Passages through CDBaby.com. I got a personal note from Lyle. He offered me a personal copy. He sent it to me including four signed plectrums, which I arranged nicely into the jewel-case (an idea Lyle liked very much). Well, of course I told him I was very much impressed by the drum programming. He replied with a smile that most of the compliments he got was on that programming, as if his guitar-playing didn't impress too.
    I've actually heard that before! Well, he went from drum machine on his first to getting some of the best drummers in the biz; Vinnie Colaiuta and Simon Phillips are on his third, "Harmonic Crusader."

Not the same guy who played on Caravan’s Waterloo Lily, surely. I know he had that half-album The Story So Far...Oh Really! with Lol Coxhill on the other side.
    Not that guy (Phil Miller's brother). Not the guy that did "The Joker" either.

“Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Wax cylinder?
    yes, how did you know?

I guess I should correct that, but maybe not

Never heard of this synth album before, but sounds freaky. Nice cover by Giger.

I like the synth music behind this selection of Sci-Fi movies. The music is by legowelt or Danny Wolfers. It has an older Berlin school sound to it that appeals to me.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Never heard of this synth album before, but sounds freaky. Nice cover by Giger.
    Joel was the mastermind behind Brainticket. He lived (maybe still does) in Switzerland, which I guess explains the Giger cover.

EDIT: he apparently lives in Mexico now!
    Last edited by Progbear; 12-28-2014 at 08:13 PM.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...