Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. Pat Martino - August 25, 1944 - November 1, 2021

R.I.P. Pat Martino - August 25, 1944 - November 1, 2021

With George Benson

Very sorry to hear about this and very glad that I saw him play about 4-5 years ago.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Bummer. RIP Pat.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Sorry to read this. I saw him with Joey DeFrancesco around the late 90's although I wish I had stronger memories of the show.

His album Joyous Lake was an unusual approach to jazz/rock with more bebop than usual in the mix in his guitar approach.

RIP Pat. Great player.

super sad news,
    QUOTE:
    One of the most original of the jazz-based guitarists to emerge in the 1960s, Pat Martino made a remarkable comeback after brain surgery in 1980 to correct an aneurysm caused him to lose his memory and completely forget how to play. It took years, but he regained his ability, partly by listening to his older records.

Love his Joyous Lake CD..! very proggy with the synth-guitar...

Sad to hear this. Incredible that he had to relearn how to play after having brain surgery. That's pretty amazing.

I'm embarrassed to admit I've never heard his music. I should fix that.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Sad News RIP.
    Interesting player, interesting career.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Sad to hear this. Incredible that he had to relearn how to play after having brain surgery. That's pretty amazing.

I'm embarrassed to admit I've never heard his music. I should fix that.
    It is pretty incredible. I can't think of any other similar instances in music at least where someone has comeback like that. I also have to admit that I've only heard a few things by him here or there on internet radio or youtube. He had a rather clean tone if I remember right.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I can't think of any other similar instances in music at least where someone has comeback like that.
    Jerry Garcia had to relearn guitar after his coma in 1986.

I got to see Martino about 20 years ago at the Jazz Bakery in LA. I didn't know too much about his music going in but I did know the aneurysm story. One of those great shows that left me with a warm happy glow for about three days. RIP.

One amusing memory of that show: Danny DeVito was sitting right in front of me, which I didn't know until Pat mentioned his presence. Apparently they were good friends. I just was thinking "thank god I got this really short guy in front of me so I can see..." Anyone who has been to the JB when packed probably knows: if you get some tall people in front of you it can really obstruct your view.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    It is pretty incredible. I can't think of any other similar instances in music at least where someone has comeback like that. I also have to admit that I've only heard a few things by him here or there on internet radio or youtube. He had a rather clean tone if I remember right.
    There's an interesting documentary on YT. Not only did he have to re-learn guitar but he had no memory of anything or anyone including himself. His guitar tone for the most part was very dark and heavy which may not appeal to rock fans so I recommend his fusion album Joyous Lake. There was a 2-fer CD that also included Starbright. He re-recorded the title track to Joyous Lake in an exciting 13 minute performance on his 1998 CD Stone Blue. Also recommended is his 1972 album, Live! It features three adventurous and extended tracks including the side long, Special Door.

Ditto RIP, and I also loved Joyous Lake.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

One of the most unique ones, for sure....really sad we lost him. Listening to Joyous Lake at the moment. Agree that he brought a swing and a more beboppish vocabulary to his brand of fusion; I like his earlier, more straight ahead stuff as well as his comeback albums. That precision attack.....I think it influenced a lot of players, like Dimeola, for one.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

I consider myself fortunate to have been able to see him play once at the Iridium in New York. He will be missed.

R.I.P. Pat

I always loved his picking style. Really strong forward motion.

Joyous Lake is a must own for fans of 70s fusion.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

RIP, one of South Philly’s finest musicians.

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    (...) I recommend his fusion album Joyous Lake. There was a 2-fer CD that also included Starbright. (...)
    That's indeed a very fine collection. I had Joyous Lake taped from a friend and played it a lot, so I was glad to pick that one up. His "come back"-album All Side Now (Blue Note, 1997) is also impressive and made with musical friends like Les Paul, Tuck Andresss, Charlie Hunter, Michael Hedges, Mike Stern and Joe Satriani.

From Trey Anastasio's Facebook page:

Pat Martino
    We lost a true genius of improvisational guitar yesterday. One of the greatest of all time. Pat Martino was an absolute giant of flow, musicality and invention. He was a wellspring of melodic ideas, an open channel. I deeply loved and still love his playing, and I’m beyond grateful for his enormous contribution and influence on improvisational guitar music, on me, and on Phish. He opened my mind and heart. In the 80’s I wore out the vinyl version of his 1974 Pat Martino Live, one of my all time favorite albums (which is shamefully now out of print and not on Spotify). That album played on perma loop in the Weaver Street house where Phish rehearsed. I must have listened to it a thousand times. It had a massive effect on me, and I know on Page too. Listen to the interplay between the Ron Thomas’ Rhodes and Pat’s guitar on “The Great Stream”.
    Luckily some of those tracks were rereleased on “Pat Martino Consciousness Live”, which you can still find on Spotify. “The Great Stream” is an excellent starting place to discover Pat. I consider Pat Martino Live to be in the upper echelon of all time great live guitar improv albums. It belongs right up there with Jimi Hendrix “Band of Gypsies” and Danny Gatton “The Humbler Stakes his Claim”. Rest In Peace Pat. Thank you for filling my house with music and my mind with visions of the boundless nature of improvised guitar music.
    With Love, Gratitude and Respect,
    Trey

Wow, would never have made that connection!

Trey's a pretty awesome cat and that was a terrific tribute. Thx for posting.

P.M. documentary

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post

P.M. documentary
    Amazing documentary.