Thread: RIP Paddy Moloney

RIP Paddy Moloney

Don't see that anyone has posted about this - a musical giant has left us.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...s-dies-aged-83

I saw this on the news. RIP.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Sad news. Wife and I love Chieftains music. Rest in peace, Paddy.

RIP Paddy

I saw him with the Chieftains about 7or 8 years ago in a theater in Keene , NH. I went with my parents and I wasnt expecting much. It was a total life affirming show and I was blown away on many levels. It was one of the best shows I have ever been to and I have been to many. R.I.P. Paddy.

Met him in Glasgow at a St Patrick’s Day concert (also happens to be my birthday) Helluva nice guy as was Derrick Bell who passed away some years ago. He was not only a key figure in Irish folk music, but a forward thinking world music champion. There is some amazing footage on YouTube of the Chieftains with some Tuvan throat singers hanging out in Frank Zappa’s home playing together.

A massive contribution to traditional music. Saw the Chieftains at University in 77 or 78.
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"

Ember
    A life to be celebrated, as I'm sure it will be by those he leaves behind. RIP. I treasure my Chieftains records and memories of their shows attended, and look forward to how the tradition will be carried forward.
    "I have not yet begun to procrastinate."

RIP Paddy and thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    I saw him with the Chieftains about 7or 8 years ago in a theater in Keene , NH. I went with my parents and I wasnt expecting much. It was a total life affirming show and I was blown away on many levels. It was one of the best shows I have ever been to and I have been to many. R.I.P. Paddy.
    I had a similar experience maybe 15-20 years ago here in SF. Was interested, mildly, in seeing them in SF, and walked out of there with a huge smile on my face, and huge respect for the Chieftains and traditional Irish music in general. Sad to see Paddy go, but he did good.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

The Chieftains really did a lot to spread goodwill among nations and an appreciation for the music of different cultures all around the world. I listened to their first live album the other night. There was an unusually strong connection between the band and the audience. My own tastes in Irish music do lean towards slightly smaller groups with vocals (Planxty and Altan are two favorites), but I have immense respect for The Chieftains and what they have accomplished.