Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dense Non-Prog Records That Are Their Own Little Worlds

Not quite sure I get the gist of this thread - does the first ELO album fit the bill? Or Bill Nelson’s Red Noise album Sound on Sound?

As a long time mega-fan of AWATS I feel I must explore that Steve Harley recommendation.

There was a spate of albums by alternative indie types that I think fall into this category, dense in structure, thematically linked in part, all over the place in style, chopping and changing at will. I love them all, and I can honestly say that to the uninitiated, they are worth exploring at least once, you’ll probably find something that resonates. The ones that initially spring to mind are:

The Boo Radleys - Giant Steps // there’s a lot going on here, it can be arch and odd, and then surprisingly poppy. This was before they ever found chart success.

Mansun - Attack of the Grey Lantern // this has a story, not that you can follow it, also some wider screen sounds, some clattering rockier moments, and a captivating bunch of tunes.

Mansun - Six // the follow up release, and it is completely bonkers, often changing tack mid-song. It takes some getting used to, but once you are smitten, there’s no going back.

^ I'd heard about Mansun before, but never really explored their music. Thanks for the heads up.

Also a huge fan of AWATS here, so any records with a similar vibe usually pique my interest.

One I'd recommend is ...And Star Power by Foxygen.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

The Move's Shazam. I don't think there was anything quite like it at the time.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

As the Veneer of Democracy Starts to Fade (1985) by Mark Stewart (solo) of The Pop Group - the latter also certified harbingers of music within "its own little world".
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    ^ I'd heard about Mansun before, but never really explored their music. Thanks for the heads up.

Also a huge fan of AWATS here, so any records with a similar vibe usually pique my interest.

One I'd recommend is ...And Star Power by Foxygen.
    Be sure to let me know what you think about Mansun, they are albums that need a full listen to, rather than dipping your toes in the shallow end.

I have one Foxygen album, “Hang” which I picked up because I read it had some Todd inspired moments, but have never heard it’s predecessor, I’ll give it a spin.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    Not quite sure I get the gist of this thread
    Me neither, but taking a stab at it...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...WGNvORri7DeBrw

(playlist for Bryan Ferry-Bitter Sweet)

in a similar vein, though I prefer the former...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jPl...XTXzHGPF598iG2

(playlist for The Jazz Age)

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    Be sure to let me know what you think about Mansun, they are albums that need a full listen to, rather than dipping your toes in the shallow end.

I have one Foxygen album, “Hang” which I picked up because I read it had some Todd inspired moments, but have never heard it’s predecessor, I’ll give it a spin.
    Hang is good, but ...And Star Power is a sprawling double-album with much more studio wizardry ala AWATS and Something/Anything. IMO it's the best thing Foxygen has done. Definitely some Todd-inspiration behind that one, even more than on Hang. I hope you like it.

And I'll let you know once I give those Mansun records a listen. Been meaning to check them out for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Hang is good, but ...And Star Power is a sprawling double-album with much more studio wizardry ala AWATS and Something/Anything. IMO it's the best thing Foxygen has done. Definitely some Todd-inspiration behind that one, even more than on Hang. I hope you like it.
    I played …And Star Power last night and can definitely see the Toddisms within. There are instrumental sections redolent of some of the sounds on Todd, it definitely sprawls all over the place a la his early 70’s oeuvre. It needs a few more plays for me to take it all in, but colour me interested!

Not quite sure I get the gist of this thread - does the first ELO album fit the bill? Or Bill Nelson’s Red Noise album Sound on Sound?
    My interpretation is that there are some albums out there that exist in their own sound space, and create an atmosphere that makes them of interest to those of us partial to a little prog by exploration. Obviously there are numerous artists that plough their own furrow, but I have been thinking of those that are quite eclectic in their album composition. That’s my take anyway!

I think your suggestion of Bill Nelson is a good one, he has inhabited the fringes most of his post Be Bop career and released some very interesting music, and Red Noise had a sound entirely of their own. I have their early 45’s, and a solo album that came about around then Quit Dreaming & Get on the Beam, I haven’t played it in forever, but remember it as a unique listen.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    As the Veneer of Democracy Starts to Fade (1985) by Mark Stewart (solo) of The Pop Group - the latter also certified harbingers of music within "its own little world".
    I loved The Pop Group, and his version of Jerusalem with The Maffia still slays! A mate of mine was selling off some old albums recently, regrettably he only told me after the event. A guy came round and gave him a fiver each for the two Pop Group records, I was distraught.

I think Sunlight Caller does a good job speaking to the sort of deal I had in mind: "dense in structure, thematically linked in part, all over the place in style, chopping and changing at will."

Not familiar with Nelson's—will check it out—but I think ELO's first (couple) albums fit more or less in this!

Excited to go through all these newest additions!

I played …And Star Power last night and can definitely see the Toddisms within. There are instrumental sections redolent of some of the sounds on Todd, it definitely sprawls all over the place a la his early 70’s oeuvre. It needs a few more plays for me to take it all in, but colour me interested!
    I'm glad it didn't put you off, and that you picked up on the Rundgren influence. It took me several spins to get to grips with the whole thing; it was a scattering of tracks I liked at first, but the number grew until I really came to like the whole thing as a singular listening experience. Not unlike how I was with a lot of Todd's early 70s stuff actually.

Banned
    "Spirit of Eden" was one of the greatest musical surprises in the 1980s. You only remember the synth-pop album "The Party's Over" then the extremely successful "It's My Life" with single hits like "Such a Shame". But it happened a stylistic leap. Moving from the previous radio-friendly synth-pop albums to an Art Rock record for the 80's music Olymp.

Talk Talk "Inheritance" (from "Spirit of Eden", 1988)

Banned
    Let's go back to the Swinging Sixties, at the time when the Stones gave the world some magnificent albums in the 'Rock' genre, like 'Aftermath', 'Between the Buttons' and 'Beggars Banquet'. However, on 'Their Satanic Majesties Request' - released in 1967 which caused many critics' comparisons, perhaps wrong, to the Beatles' Sgt. Pepper - the band uses too many 'psychedelic' elements to be classified as 'Rock' as a distinct genre with capital *r* and without *roll*, but that doesn't really make 'Their Satanic Majesties Request' a fully fledged Psychedelic rock album. Somehow the Stones tried to do space themes, but it's not a space-rock record either. Also, it contains not enough pop for being placed as the 60's 'progressive Pop' subgenre.
    Although I for one tend to think that 'Their Satanic...' is an early Experimental rock album, this album actually escapes categorization, but certainly stands alone in the Stones' discography. Probably the Swinging Sixties' zeitgeist was "guilty" that such an album as 'Their Satanic Majesties Request' was even reasonably successful; in the UK it was ranked #2 in the charts, and in the US it was ranked #3.

The Rolling Stones "Gomper" (from "Their Satanic Majesties Request", 1967)

Jellyfish: Spilt Milk!

Yes, this is the same Jigsaw that blessed us with the 1975 disco track "Sky High"! Their 1970 album Letherslade Farm really needs a CD reissue (this is courtesy of a vinyl rip).

The entire 33 track album is ripped to YouTube. It's kind of vaudeville in a Bonzo Dog manner in some places.

This version of the Bach classic is, to my ears, a hell of a lot better than the fruity Apollo 100 version two years later.

12. Jesu Joy Of Man's Desiring - Jigsaw - Letherslade Farm

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Monet View Post
    "Spirit of Eden" was one of the greatest musical surprises in the 1980s. You only remember the synth-pop album "The Party's Over" then the extremely successful "It's My Life" with single hits like "Such a Shame". But it happened a stylistic leap. Moving from the previous radio-friendly synth-pop albums to an Art Rock record for the 80's music Olymp.

Talk Talk "Inheritance" (from "Spirit of Eden", 1988)

A beautiful album and one I have loved for a long time. There’s an argument that puts all latter Talk Talk albums and Mark Hollis’ sole solo into a unique category of their very own.

I also really enjoy Rustin Man’s collaboration with Beth Gibbons, “Out Of Season”, as an ex Talk Talk member, he brings something of their arch creativity to the atmosphere, though it sounds very different.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Jane Siberry: The Walking
    Just re-listened to When I Was a Boy and it belongs here, too.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Ornette Coleman's "Skies of America"
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Hiroko Taniyama: Mizutama jikan

Actually, many of her albums are like this. She is very prolific and very unique.
    Last edited by Progbear; 10-06-2021 at 01:40 PM.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Banned
    "Mingus" is my favourite album by Joni Mitchell and, as I am a fan of her music, I think that Mingus the album is something special in her catalogue. As an album dedicated to Charles Mingus, it is certainly one of the best tribute albums to this great American jazz musician. Released in June 1979, for Joni Mitchell it's surely the crown of her brilliantly creative decade.
    With the exception of "The Dry Cleaner from Des Moines", the songs are all very calm and those who particularly like Mitchell's faster and funnier songs may get bored with "Mingus". A lot of space is left for every word, every note, the songs float above the accented tones of the ingenious bassist Jaco Pastorius and his colleagues Wayne Shorter and Herbie Hancock, Peter Erskine and Don Alias. The lyrics refer to Mingus himself and are poetic and in some places also very personal thoughts about him as a person and a musician.
    This timeless album is not long as per CDs standards, but it's sophisticated stuff of a fine variety and extraordinary atmosphere.
    My favourite song is "The Wolf That Lives in Lindsey''.
    Unfortunately, the CD version has nothing of the beautiful original LP gatefold cover with the reproductions of Joni Mitchell's paintings.

Joni Mitchell "The Wolf That Lives in Lindsey'' (from "Mingus", 1979)

A beautiful album and one I have loved for a long time. There’s an argument that puts all latter Talk Talk albums and Mark Hollis’ sole solo into a unique category of their very own.

I also really enjoy Rustin Man’s collaboration with Beth Gibbons, “Out Of Season”, as an ex Talk Talk member, he brings something of their arch creativity to the atmosphere, though it sounds very different.
    Agree with all the above. The post-Talk Talk recordings of .O.rang (Lee Harris and Paul Webb a.k.a. Rustin Mann) are also very much worth seeking out.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Agree with all the above. The post-Talk Talk recordings of .O.rang (Lee Harris and Paul Webb a.k.a. Rustin Mann) are also very much worth seeking out.
    I live quite close to Paul Webb and I follow him on Facebook, he usually makes one post a week but it is always interesting. His two recent-ish solo albums under the Rustin Man banner are interesting too, but more song structured than latter Talk Talk, albeit a little left field in their arrangements and instrumentation.

Quote Originally Posted by Monet View Post
    "Mingus" is my favourite album by Joni Mitchell and, as I am a fan of her music, I think that Mingus the album is something special in her catalogue. As an album dedicated to Charles Mingus, it is certainly one of the best tribute albums to this great American jazz musician. Released in June 1979, for Joni Mitchell it's surely the crown of her brilliantly creative decade.
    I find myself turning to those classic era Joni albums more and more often, they just nourish my musical hunger when I’m in the right mood. Mingus is a wonderful and special album indeed.