Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Ida - is everyone OK - please check in

Hurricane Ida - is everyone OK - please check in

From Louisiana all the way up to NYC and beyond, the damage and carnage continues. How is everyone affected doing?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Doing OK here. We've been affected by Fred, Henri and Ida in the last few weeks, and Henri seemed to be the one that was hyped in advance the most, yet was the least consequential here. A few counties south of here last night experienced some tornadoes in the system that was previously Hurricane Ida, but all that we got here was a reported 3"-4" of rain.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Schools are closed due to road damage in the area. Had some bad flooding in the basement, but it could have been worse overall. Water was cascading down our steps leading down to the road, and a big, heavy paving stone was moved over a foot by the force of the water!

A tornado came through my neighborhood here in South Jersey. Scariest thing ever. I lost a lot of trees and power, others in my neighborhood werent as lucky, with lots of roof damage and fences gone. I never had the Dept of Emergency Services knock on my door before. Power has finally been restored and now the clean up begins. I work in NYC but couldnt go in even if I wanted to today - all NJ Transit trains are suspended. What a mess.

^^ Scary shit, Dan. I hope you're safe.

We lucked out over here in Western PA. Many areas are flooded and it's pretty bad for a lot fo people. The river communities, obviously, got hit pretty hard, but nothing like the eastern areas where I'm originally from.

We live on higher ground (I learned a lesson from my parents buying a house at the bottom of a hill), so we're fine. I had a trickle of water in my garage. All I had to do was drain some water out of my pool, which was overflowing.

The bonus was that I didn't have to water my garden.

BE SAFE, PEOPLE!

I fear that things will only get worse with the current trends and those who deny them.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    A tornado came through my neighborhood here in South Jersey. Scariest thing ever.
    I saw tornado footage from around the Burlington-Bristol Bridge that was horrifying. Glad to hear that you're safe.

Had some harrowing moments last night, as the path of one of the tornadoes wasn't too far away, but thankfully, we were pretty undisturbed. A lot of rain, but no real damage, here. We were very lucky.

My daughter attends West Chester University, and they're closed today, as is my son's high school.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

For my home town of Easton, PA (on the Delaware River and north of Philly), they are predicting the river will crest at 29.8 feet. The major flood level is 30 feet. (How they can predict so finely, is beyond me). That would be, I believe, the 9th-worst in history. The worst was the historic 1955 flood where the level crested at a whopping 44 feet.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

The eons are closing
    They might end up closing the free bridge btwn PBurg NJ and Easton if its that high.

Was just at Porter's on Northampton St about two weeks ago

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I saw tornado footage from around the Burlington-Bristol Bridge that was horrifying. Glad to hear that you're safe.
    Yeah I live about a mile from the B-B Bridge. That footage was crazy, and about a minute or so after it left my neighborhood. Not gonna lie - I looked out the window and saw a 40 ft tree in my backyard get uprooted. I ran to the basement, which is where I probably should have been in the first place. Such things are pretty rare in my area, and that legit got me scared.

That is scary. I'm glad you all are okay though.

It never got very bad where I live, maybe we only got the outskirts of Ida. Living in Alabama I'm used to having to keep an eye out for tornadoes, but they don't get any less scary when they happen. About 10 years ago I lost my house to one. They can be devastating.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    They might end up closing the free bridge btwn PBurg NJ and Easton if its that high.
    Probably. I believe parts of Easton begin to get flooded at 26 feet.

I once got pulled over after crossing that bridge from NJ to PA with a case of wine in my trunk. That's back when the drinking age in Jersey was 19 and, of course, 21 in PA. I was less worried about the $300 fine than I was about the bag of reefer in my pocket and my 15-year-old buddy who was with me.

Last night I watched coverage on CNN of water gushing into the NYC subway. It was surreal.

^ Has that ever happened before?

A quick googling finds video of NYC subway flooding in '12, '18 and '19 as its top 4 results.
    The '12 was Sandy. I didn't check more thoroughly.

It's not uncommon in Boston, either.

My sump hole has about 6" of water at the bottom, but it would take another 6" or so to kick in. It was going off quite a bit with Fred in early August.
    Last edited by Dave (in MA); 09-02-2021 at 11:37 PM.

So when the subway floods....where does all the trash end up?
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    So when the subway floods....where does all the trash end up?
    Trump Tower.

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Probably. I believe parts of Easton begin to get flooded at 26 feet.

I once got pulled over after crossing that bridge from NJ to PA with a case of wine in my trunk. That's back when the drinking age in Jersey was 19 and, of course, 21 in PA. I was less worried about the $300 fine than I was about the bag of reefer in my pocket and my 15-year-old buddy who was with me.
    I have been pulled over on that bridge too for buying beer in pburg too and bringing across.

no reefer tho.

Things are fine here in Oakland Gardens(Northeast Queens).We were lucky, unlike other parts of Queens.No floods, no abandoned cars, minor basement flooding(my sister's house in Fresh Meadows).

I may try to go into Manhattan today.Subways are running but limited service on most lines.I'll take the express bus.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

^^ Nothing like doing a backflip into raw sewage, posting it online and showing the rest of the world what an idiot you are.

"Bad things happen in Philadelphia"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    ^^ Nothing like doing a backflip into raw sewage, posting it online and showing the rest of the world what an idiot you are.
    I found his LinkedIn page.

The eons are closing
    Thank god they couldnt film in the 50s.

My dad swam across the Harlem River and back at the Highbridge for a twelve pack.

So while using an overpass is very Philly - unfortunately that kinda general idiocy knows no bounds

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    We're a nation of jackasses.... Do anything for attention and post it on Youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I found his LinkedIn page.
    Well, at least he's a career "man."