Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New DEEP PURPLE album!

This is a good cover version.

Lotsa rocking piano and harmonica.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    On Youtube, but the drums on the Cream original sound much better than that of the Deep Purple cover.
    The drums on the Cream original are pretty awesome (I can hear them in my head even when the record is not playing-listening to a great song for 53 years can do that). I understand what you're saying, though. I'm guessing the drums are 'further back' in the Deep Purple mix than in the Cream mix, but I am neither a drummer nor a sound engineer, so what do I know? I also have always loved the drumming of both Ginger Baker and Ian Paice, and cannot fault either.

I like it. Only three tunes I know other than the medley at the end so it's like old timey late '60's DP and since most tunes are new to me, that's kinda cool.

House arrest did them some good, kinda chuffed that they did this all remotely. It may be "just" cover tunes but it's fun. Who can argue with fun?
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    That's debatable. I would never call anything they did heavy metal.

Personally, my favorite is their third, self-titled, album which is all originals but one. In fact, it's a desert island disc of mine.

One of their biggest hits ever was a cover song.
    You don't think In Rock is heavy metal?

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    I suppose you can categorize some of the songs that way. But they just as easily fit into the hard rock category. You can't say they AREN'T hard rock.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Even if it is just a label, In Rock for me is not heavy metal. In the beginning of 70's there was no term heavy metal. Hard rock or heavy rock are the terms that apply. Actually these older bands bands even took offense, at least initially, if someone labeled them as "heavy metal."
    Oh well, I know the younger generation does not differentiate though for some it is still pretty much huge distinction. Not that it matters with regard to the music itself for the ones who enjoy it, just personal preference.
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

The only thing really "metal" about In Rock is the Blackmore shredding which opens and closes it.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Welp, if you Goog "heavy metal bands", DP is on the list, but so are Judas Priest and Motley Crue, so I guess I'll take that list with a grain of salt.

The eons are closing
    IMO - the "modern" definition of what is metal arrived in 78 w/ Priest's Stained Class.

so prior to that - the line to these ears is more murky....

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by PCMusic View Post
    In the beginning of 70's there was no term heavy metal.
    "heavy metal thunder..." 1968 Mars Bonfire and Steppenwolf.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Whether or not the term, as it's used today, existed. I do think there are songs that fit the category. "Helter Skelter" is one, IMNSHO.

You guys are nuts. Metal begins and ends with the mighty STRYPER.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

The eons are closing
    The Yellow and Black Attack!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

"heavy metal thunder..." 1968 Mars Bonfire and Steppenwolf.
    Well, did not search google for it and encyclopedias there. A lot of descriptions there were probably cooked much later when the term was already in heavy circulation. I am not that familiar with Steppenwolf. These cited words could have a different meaning altogether, depending on the context there. In the circles I was around at that time nobody was using term "heavy metal" for describing early 70's bands. But I am not going to argue about that, as it is simply immaterial and personal preference ... as already stressed before.
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

Quote Originally Posted by PCMusic View Post
    Well, did not search google for it and encyclopedias there. A lot of descriptions there were probably cooked much later when the term was already in heavy circulation. I am not that familiar with Steppenwolf. These cited words could have a different meaning altogether, depending on the context there. In the circles I was around at that time nobody was using term "heavy metal" for describing early 70's bands. But I am not going to argue about that, as it is simply immaterial and personal preference ... as already stressed before.
    Nobody's arguing. But, "Born to Be Wild" is often cited as the first appearance of the term, even though it's referring to a motorcycle.

Pace hasn't lost a step, has he?
    That is what most surprises me about this band and specially him. Ian Paice is the ONLY member who has been on all the DP lineups (Marks as they are called) and still keeps on going! Many drummers of his era have either died or have retired or semi-retired. To name a few: Lee Kerslake, John Bonham, Keith Moon, Cozy Powell, Phil Collins, Alan White, Neil Peart, Bill Bruford, Neil Smith (Alice Cooper band).
    Maybe one other contemporary of his is who is still active is Nigel Olsson (Elton John band) but Ian still keeps hitting those skins like an energizer badass bunny!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    That is what most surprises me about this band and specially him. Ian Paice is the ONLY member who has been on all the DP lineups (Marks as they are called) and still keeps on going! Many drummers of his era have either died or have retired or semi-retired. To name a few: Lee Kerslake, John Bonham, Keith Moon, Cozy Powell, Phil Collins, Alan White, Neil Peart, Bill Bruford, Neil Smith (Alice Cooper band).
    Maybe one other contemporary of his is who is still active is Nigel Olsson (Elton John band) but Ian still keeps hitting those skins like an energizer badass bunny!!
    Corky Laing is still killing it after more than 50 years, too.

Ian Paice is a vital part of Deep Purple and is a great, groovy drummer who plays for the song. I feel he is underrated. I'm glad he created his own Youtube channel two years ago and got in touch with some of his fans online.
    His contribution to Turning To Crime is outstanding IMHO, as is Gillan's. They don't sound their age on that record.

^^ Not to mention Paicey is the only remaining original member. Jon has passed, and Blackmood left the band ages ago.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I can't imagine DP without him, and if he retired, I doubt the band could continue (although I was surprised that they went on, not only without Blackmore, but also without Lord). A few years ago, Glover said he couldn't imagine Purple without Paice. He is indeed the last remnant of Mark I, so it's logical. But Paicey is more than that : he's like an engine for the band. I think one of the first thnigs he said to Glover, in 1969, was "I don't follow, I lead".

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    Not to toot my own horn, but due to covid, I've been woodshedding in the barn on my drums for nigh on 2 years (40+ years total), and am in better shape (drum-wise, lol) than ever. At 65, I'll outslam a lot of youngsters.

Look out, Paicey!

Not to toot my own horn, but due to covid, I've been woodshedding in the barn on my drums for nigh on 2 years (40+ years total), and am in better shape (drum-wise, lol) than ever. At 65, I'll outslam a lot of youngsters.

Look out, Paicey!
    Get down with your bad self! Good for you! Still playing bass with bands at age 67.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    Get down with your bad self! Good for you! Still playing bass with bands at age 67.
    Thanks! Since you're near Berkeley, I may have seen you play with a local band or two back in the day, no?

Thanks! Since you're near Berkeley, I may have seen you play with a local band or two back in the day, no?
    I've lived in the Bay Area since the end of 79. I was in an original band called Windstorm, a mostly original band called Aquamarine based in Marin,
    two Allman Brothers tribute bands. The first was called The Deep South Band, then Southbound and my present one called Idlewild West. It was
    The Allman Step Brothers until a friendly lawyer in LA from the band asked me to change the name as "Allman" is trademarked. I've been in other bands
    over the decades. I was in a Cream tribute band until a few months ago called Fresh Cream.
    How about you?

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    I've lived in the Bay Area since the end of 79. I was in an original band called Windstorm, a mostly original band called Aquamarine based in Marin,
    two Allman Brothers tribute bands. The first was called The Deep South Band, then Southbound and my present one called Idlewild West. It was
    The Allman Step Brothers until a friendly lawyer in LA from the band asked me to change the name as "Allman" is trademarked. I've been in other bands
    over the decades. I was in a Cream tribute band until a few months ago called Fresh Cream.
    How about you?
    Dammit. I was hoping you were gonna say you were with Psychotic Pineapple or Oquisha Paradox. Do you remember either of those bands? OP was a reggae/rock band that was really, really good. Got the ladies a-dancin'. PP had a minor hit with I Wanna Wanna Wanna Get Rid Of You. Our band, the Mixers, played at Berkeley Square a couple of times, but we were just a dumbass cover band. I lived with the Mixers in Berkeley for a year, then moved back to the Central Valley.

Man, we saw a shload of great shows at BS. Primus, Jo Allen & The Shapes (Robert Palmer did his song, Jealous), Holly & The Italians, Balaam & The Angel, too many to remember. Good times.
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 02-19-2022 at 03:02 AM.