Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bands releasing single songs, as opposed to albums. Are you for, or against?

Bands releasing single songs, as opposed to albums. Are you for, or against?

I've noticed a new trend lately, of bands releasing one-off, single songs on their bandcamp pages/web site, etc or very short EPs of a couple of songs. These tunes may or may not even end up on an album. Sometimes bands just want to get material out there, and aren't even thinking about recording an album's length worth of songs to release.

A lot of people on PE have already stated that they still prefer physical product to downloads, but what about this new habit? I must confess that although I have embraced bandcamp downloads, and for the most part left physical product behind, I'm not a fan at all of bands releasing a lot of single songs, just to get something out there. I understand that there are occasional 'b-sides' and what not, that perhaps don't fit on an album and many will just add an odd one-off track to their playlists, but I still much prefer the journey of a full-length album's worth of material, that I can really immerse myself in.

What say you?

Neil
    Last edited by boilk; 07-11-2021 at 06:25 PM.

The more music, the better. Albums were just a way of amortizing the cost of release. Today, the cost of release is almost $0.00.

There is no benefit (apart from vanity) for me to release another physical CD.
    I will release my music as/when it becomes finished in a form I wish people to hear it.
    My third "album" will actually be released on BandCamp in three volumes.

I am still an "album" guy, but I get why they do it. It is almost like going back to the 50's when singles were the king.

I'm only interested in albums. Period.

I still prefer albums, but for artists, this is a way to keep the songs flowing: write, record, release. It allows musicians to get their songs out there. Not only that, their fans can have new music more often than would be the case if they had to wait 1 or more years for an entire album.

I will probably end up doing it this way, too. An album typically takes me a whole year to write, arrange, record, edit, re-imagine, re-record, mix, re-mix, re-re-mix, master, ... It's easy to get lost in that long process (even though it's a highly enjoyable kind of getting lost). Considering all that, releasing a single or an EP is a good compromise.

It's the way they did it in the 50's and 60's.

If I like what I hear I don't care if it's a single, EP, or album. I'm in

Many times its not the hit or most famous song that I like. So if 2 tracks are released vs a 10 track CD, give me the cd. Even if the same number of tracks are released , my preference is CD. My turntable was retired 20 years ago

If a band/performer wants me to spend money on their music then they need to release albums. I will happily stream/bootleg singles.

I prefer albums. I almost never bother to listen singles. EP's are fine.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Artists should release their music the way they feel is best for them.

I do no mind EP's. Singles I download from Bandcamp but usually save in a folder with one of their albums (or EP's). Otherwise I never listen to them.

I prefer to release a full CD, but it is too expensive for me now to make it worthwhile. Unless one is a skilled mixing and mastering artist, this can get very expensive to do it right for a full album. Most gifted mixing artists charge between $500 to $1500 to mix one song. There are many people who call themselves mixing artists that charge less but you might as well do it yourself as they more often than not do a less than stellar job. But the difference between a masterfully done mix and one done by an artist out of nessessity is quite profound.
    Mastering for a whole album usually runs from $500 to $2000 to do it properly. Once again, there are people who will do so t for less but they usually have no clue about relative volumes between songs and other details.

I'm happy to hear new music from an artist period. Whether it's a single, EP, album or pike, new music is welcomed by me.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

This is prog. Albums should consist of only one 40' track.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Since returning to UK from canaries in 0ct 17. I have penned and recorded 1 album and 5 Extended play releases. Over 40 tracks. Tee hee. I am working on release for late summer and it is going Fair but not great.
    From a creative point of view it's easier to follow a whim than to rein yourself into the marathon that doing an album can become. Same getting a whole live set together. my last in was over 2.5 hours of all covers for busking at beach and bars .
    Truth told unless I am a huge fan say like of " Regal Worm". I won't be listening to a whole album and certainly will not be buying or replacing the hard media I donated in 2015 though I do like cool tee shirts like Band of Horse's, Old Genesis It's just silly. I see decks, amps,all kinds of retro hifi cassette decks but it's just playing to the boomers fixation of nostalgia.
    Last edited by clivey; 07-12-2021 at 09:30 AM.

Surely a 45 or 70 minute album is dictated by the old media technology and has absolutely no meaning at all in the digital era. An album can just as well be 15 minutes long or 3 hours, or songs can exist on their own or in pairs or 3's or 36's. It no longer has to be formatted for physical formats so it's essentially meaningless. We're just used to it and (mostly) old.

My last release was actually a CP ie three segued pieces in 3/4 time on an ambient bed called 3 . 11 minutes in total and I have had many complete listens surprised really as the segments are there to listen also.
    There are upload limits, so technically still the same kind of restrictions that created our beloved albums though not nearly as prohibitive.
    If a band has fans then perhaps merchandise can serve the role of hard copy.
    I always try and include virtual sleeve notes and next time will include techy geek stuff about my gear. Hee hee
    Last edited by clivey; 07-12-2021 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by revporl View Post
    Surely a 45 or 70 minute album is dictated by the old media technology and has absolutely no meaning at all in the digital era. An album can just as well be 15 minutes long or 3 hours, or songs can exist on their own or in pairs or 3's or 36's. It no longer has to be formatted for physical formats so it's essentially meaningless. We're just used to it and (mostly) old.
    Good point.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Generally I only buy albums and EP's on bandcamp. If its a band I'm particularly interested in and I can't get the song any other way then I'll certainly buy the single. I do a lot of my listening on shuffle so it's not an issue of it never coming up.

For me artists can release music however they like and I'll react accordingly. I'm not buying vinyl or cassettes so anything exclusively on those formats won't get bought.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.
    I'm one of the 212.

Density Cluster
    It's basically just how you have to play ball in a world of streaming service algorithms. I was initially opposed to doing it myself when I began reading about how important it is as a "best practices" sort of concept - as I am typically an album listener myself - but I found that focusing on singles has actually made finishing things possible for me; I have 6 songs out now as a solo artist, as opposed to none this time last year (not that anyone listens to my stuff anyway, algorithm-pleasing release schedule or otherwise ) So I think like thedunno said, it's important for artists to handle releases in a way they feel suits them best. An artist can always corral their singles together into an album later, and the "album" release may come with one or two extra previously unreleased songs in order to make the event somewhat meaningful.

Quote Originally Posted by timehat View Post
    It's basically just how you have to play ball in a world of streaming service algorithms. I was initially opposed to doing it myself when I began reading about how important it is as a "best practices" sort of concept - as I am typically an album listener myself - but I found that focusing on singles has actually made finishing things possible for me; I have 6 songs out now as a solo artist, as opposed to none this time last year (not that anyone listens to my stuff anyway, algorithm-pleasing release schedule or otherwise ) So I think like thedunno said, it's important for artists to handle releases in a way they feel suits them best. An artist can always corral their singles together into an album later, and the "album" release may come with one or two extra previously unreleased songs in order to make the event somewhat meaningful.
    Just had a coffee in coffeehouse with your last release.
    It's perfect for that.

Density Cluster
    Quote Originally Posted by clivey View Post
    Just had a coffee in coffeehouse with your last release.
    It's perfect for that.
    You are too kind! I'm an avid coffee drinker myself, though I daresay my music played publicly over coffee shop loudspeakers may be a bit alienating for most. I see you've got quite a body of work yourself, looking forward to hearing your sound.

Quote Originally Posted by timehat View Post
    You are too kind! I'm an avid coffee drinker myself, though I daresay my music played publicly over coffee shop loudspeakers may be a bit alienating for most.
    I've been reading a book about the Incredible String Band, and Mike Heron talks about how his first solo album, Smiling Men with Bad Reputations, was made under the influence of copious amounts of coffee.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    When I was a teen, in the late '60s, I decided to give away all my 45 rpm singles (I didn't have very many) and be an album guy, which then meant LPs. Although the format has changed, my preference for albums has not. I don't hate CD singles, or object to an artist releasing them, but I will only buy them if the price is right and there's something on it I don't already have. I don't go seeking out new singles. I will mention that one band has singles/EPs well worth getting (for length and for not just being a collection of tunes that later appear on an album), and that is Future Sound Of London.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I will mention that one band has singles/EPs well worth getting (for length and for not just being a collection of tunes that later appear on an album), and that is Future Sound Of London.
    Similarly, I have a CD "single" by the Orb that is 40 minutes long. Not various mixes, just one track ("Blue Room").
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx