Thread: Prog meets orchestral meets Indian classical

Prog meets orchestral meets Indian classical

Hey all,

Long time lurker here. I've discovered loads of great bands through this site. Riverside, Anathema, Tesseract are just a few of them.

Recently, after listening to loads of prog over the years, I tried writing my own. My main influences are rock, orchestral music, and Indian classical music. This song incorporates bits from all of them. I'd love to know what the community thinks of it 🙂

For those who like to know these things, the song starts off in 7/4, and then goes through 4/4, 6/8, and finally finishes with 13/8 with a polyrhythm of 6/8 against it. Thank you for listening and enjoy! All feedback is welcome. I really want to improve and I'd like to know what you think.

https://youtu.be/oTUn0aJ7MD8

Very good and congratulations. I love music that brings in all sorts of influences and you have done it extremely well (IMHO). Have you done any more?
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

Quote Originally Posted by Munster View Post
    Very good and congratulations. I love music that brings in all sorts of influences and you have done it extremely well (IMHO). Have you done any more?
    Thank you. Not so far. This is my first effort, but I intend to do more in a similar vein. After a long time, I finally feel like I've found my niche I'd like to focus on
    Last edited by aksnitd; 07-11-2021 at 01:42 PM.

good stuff, keep us posted on additional works

Hey...this is very well done!

I love all the extra notes you bring in to throw the timings off. Some very unexpected things happen here and it's quite a refreshing listen.

Excellent...keep it going!

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

Sounds great! I dig the mix!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by R_burke View Post
    good stuff, keep us posted on additional works
    I sure will. Thank you so much for listening

Quote Originally Posted by neuroticdog View Post
    Hey...this is very well done!

I love all the extra notes you bring in to throw the timings off. Some very unexpected things happen here and it's quite a refreshing listen.

Excellent...keep it going!

best
    Michael
    Thanks a bunch. Yes, I extensively used chromatics and some Indian classical based scales for my melodies to sound a bit different. Glad you enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Boceephus View Post
    Sounds great! I dig the mix!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Very good to know. It took me three days to finalise this so I'm happy people are digging it.

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    very cool!
    Thanks!

Hello everyone,

For those of you who are interested, this track is available to download on Bandcamp if you wish I will be posting more releases in the coming months so feel free to follow me there if you are interested.

https://whaleguy.bandcamp.com/track/crow-on-a-zephyr