Thread: A FORMAL HORSE - Excellent New Prog Band from the UK

A FORMAL HORSE - Excellent New Prog Band from the UK

Here's another suggestion that I wonder if some around might enjoy.

A Formal Horse are this progressive rock band whose pretty heavy at times. Although I wouldn't exactly call them Metal, but they use a lot of punchy, heavy guitar riffs. And many of their songs are driven by the guitar parts.

Their vocalist is a female singer who sings all clean vocals, somewhat in an operatic style. A bit like Timbre or Kate DeGraide from Dirt Poor Robins.

Their 2019 debut album "Here Comes a Man From the Council With a Flamethrower" (yeah it's a mouthful), has many great moments that have me wanting to go back to.

On Spotify:
    https://open.spotify.com/album/0laB3CZ60ALn8lVAx1Hwxi

I hear bands like Bent Knee, Porcupine Tree, Major Parkinson among others.

A Formal Horse's next record "Meat Mallet" comes out in just a few weeks on July 23rd.

The 1st 2 singles "Space8" and "I'm a Lasagne" have me pretty intrigued, per it may even be better than the debut album that I'm growing attached to.

https://aformalhorse.bandcamp.com/album/meat-mallet

Big fan here. "...Flamethrower" was a great album. Made my 2019 best of list at #2. Great female vocals, loads of crunchy, cool guitar riffs, aggressive bass and tight drumming. Really direct, and impressive compositions. A real breath of fresh air in many ways. Can't wait for the new one.

Neil

First time here ... second spin: like it !
    Thanks for the head up !!

Last edited by TCC; 07-09-2021 at 11:12 PM.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

I got introduced by a friend of mine and enjoy them quite a bit. I preordered the new one.

They played the whole of the new album on progcoreradio last night. Don't know if you can hear it again if you missed it. It also had had some amusing comments from Mike, their drummer, who described himself as the bands 'rear left leg'!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Great band, not really that new, we've been talking about them here for at least 5 years and while their debut album was a standout of 2019 they've been releasing EP's as far back as 2014. New album is ordered, looking forward to it. Lovely stuff.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Released today

Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Seen them play a few times as they are quite local to me. Always enjoyed them.

Jealous
    Ian

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I like the female vocals.

They often used to play in the Talking Heads venue in Southampton, often as support. One night their female lead singer didn't show, and so Hayley who was working behind the bar stepped in and has been there ever since. It was strange to watch the band with Hayley and then 30 minutes later be served by her at the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Progtastic View Post
    They often used to play in the Talking Heads venue in Southampton, often as support. One night their female lead singer didn't show, and so Hayley who was working behind the bar stepped in and has been there ever since. It was strange to watch the band with Hayley and then 30 minutes later be served by her at the bar.
    Whoa. That's a cool story. Well, she certainly has a great voice, and apparently sounds very much like the previous singer. What are the odds of that?

Neil

Funny, interesting lyrics. "I'm a Lasagne!"

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Funny, interesting lyrics. "I'm a Lasagne!"
    You probably don't know Adam Lallana, an English footballer who used to play for Southampton where the band are from.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    You probably don't know Adam Lallana, an English footballer who used to play for Southampton where the band are from.
    Huh? Jed knows everything. Who are you kidding?

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Huh? Jed knows everything. Who are you kidding?
    I know it seems that way, but I've never heard of that guy! BTW, moecurly, last week I was at Katz's Deli and I thought of you!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    BTW, moecurly, last week I was at Katz's Deli and I thought of you!
    You got heartburn? 2 words: Nex Ium.

I remember checking out the self-titled EP a while back but I guess it didn't appeal. I've now been listening to the two full-length releases several times and I'm interested.
    Could anyone who has their physical CDs please advise whether the lyrics are included? Thanks.
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff O'Donoghue View Post
    I remember checking out the self-titled EP a while back but I guess it didn't appeal. I've now been listening to the two full-length releases several times and I'm interested.
    Could anyone who has their physical CDs please advise whether the lyrics are included? Thanks.
    Both the albums have full lyrics, but none of the EPs do.

Quote Originally Posted by alanterrill View Post
    Both the albums have full lyrics, but none of the EPs do.
    Thanks very much Alan. Think I'll pull the trigger on the CDs.
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

Liking this new album a lot. The first one was good but this one kicks ass.

After playing both albums regularly via Bandcamp and Youtube I took advantage of the recent Bandcamp Friday to buy the CDs. Many thanks to mnprogger and all in this thread for the recommendation.

aith01

Don't think I've been this addicted to an album in quite as while as I am with this new one. Been playing it multiple times daily. So good.