Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Albums Redone Note-For-Note By Someone Else

Not 100% on topic but here's a curious one:

Miller Anderson (lead vocals/guitar of Keef Hartley band) did a tour of Germany this past year that was billed as recreating the KHB set at Woodstock on its 50th anniversary. Miller even put out a CD of the tour and he's in good form and the music is as good as ever.

There's just one problem. The set he played isn't even remotely the Woodstock set. There is no overlap at all except for in the Halfbreed medley. That's it!

Who's going to notice? The set wasn't released publicly (until just recently?) and very few people who actually went to Woodstock are likely to be in Germany now.

And if there are any, they probably won't remember 1969.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Wouldn't this include most albums faithfully copied by tribute bands?
    There’s a number of these from Genesis tribute bands. Sorry, but an album by a tribute band is one of the most worthless artifacts I can imagine.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

LAIBACH did "Let it Be" (but without including the title-track)
    FLAMING LIPS did "Dark Side of the Moon"
    THIS IS NOWHERE did "White Light/White Heat"
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

One of the more interesting covers of DSOTM has to be the A cappella version
    index.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Who's going to notice? The set wasn't released publicly (until just recently?) and very few people who actually went to Woodstock are likely to be in Germany now.

And if there are any, they probably won't remember 1969.
    It's just downright weird. The idea for Miller Anderson to do a 50th anniversary tour replicating his Woodstock KHB set is a great one, and he apparently put some butts in seats and it did well in Germany. But why fuck with your history like that? ...and claim you played certain songs at Woodstock when you really didn't?

Maybe Miller just plain mis-remembered what he had played? True that the actual KHB Woodstock set was only released this past August as a part of the full Woodstock box, but there have been boots of it floating around for years. Possibly those were not really from WS but in fact from other shows?

If it hasn't have to be 'note for note' and 'somebody else' then Magma is a good contender.
    Starting with MDK (which was first recorded with Lambert on bass then Top).

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    It's just downright weird. The idea for Miller Anderson to do a 50th anniversary tour replicating his Woodstock KHB set is a great one, and he apparently put some butts in seats and it did well in Germany. But why fuck with your history like that? ...and claim you played certain songs at Woodstock when you really didn't?

Maybe Miller just plain mis-remembered what he had played? True that the actual KHB Woodstock set was only released this past August as a part of the full Woodstock box, but there have been boots of it floating around for years. Possibly those were not really from WS but in fact from other shows?
    Well, you know the old saying: If you remember Woodstock, you probably weren't there.

I think using the term note for note eliminates a LOT of considerations, so I'm breaking the rules and going with Remakes. lol
    Oingo Boingo's I am the Walrus.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

One thing I haven't understood is when a band re-records their own music: Banco, Styx, Journey....why?

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    One thing I haven't understood is when a band re-records their own music: Banco, Styx, Journey....why?
    Licensing. Fidelity.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Licensing. Fidelity.
    Some one-hit wonder bands re-recorded their stuff because they don’t earn any royalties from the original recordings (Sugarloaf comes to mind but there’s tons of other examples).

Brazilian band Terreno Baldio re-recorded their debut LP in the early 90s (inexplicably with new English lyrics) because they lost the master tapes. It got a proper reissue later on when vinyl transcription technology improved.

Japanese prog-metal band Marge Litch recorded Fantasien 1998, a re-recording of their 1991 debut CD because they had access to better production values, and were able to do more justice to the material.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I am glad Magma have re-recorded compositions and recycled many themes.
    The versions are different, and adds new angles and 'dimensions'.

Univers Zero have recorded Rouages on The Hard Quest 1999 and Rouages Second Rotation 2002 on Rhytmix - same tune differently arranged and orchestrated.

Mercury Rev released "Bobbie Gentry's The Delta Sweete Revisted" this year.

Here's a song of the original:

And here one of MR's rearranged and performed songs:

The last time I saw the Tubular Bells For Two show the guys were selling a CD of their execution of Tubular Bells. It isn't a recording of their live show per se - well not in front of an audience while on tour. They recorded their two-person arrangement under studio conditions. It's a good record.
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

That was actually quite common back before the 70's. You'd get a new record deal, and the new label would want you to record new versions of your earlier hits, so they could put out their own "greatest hits" package without having to license the earlier recordings.

I recall Neal Schon saying in an interview back around 2008 or so that the reason Journey did it was because their new label offered them a better royalty rate than what Sony was giving them. So they redid their best known songs, and the new label issued as a bonus disc in a "special edition" release of the new album. It was probably the same deal with Styx. In fact, it might even have been a condition of being signed, kinda like how the Japanese versions of albums always have an extra song or two, to satisfy the record label (maybe also why so many bands have live albums that only come out in Japan).

Doh! Money, of course!

I saw a vid of few years back where Mike Portnoy and I think either Paul Gilbert or Petrucci on guitar and someone on bass did a live play-through of Rush's "Hemispheres" album. Not exactly what you're looking for, but in the ballpark.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Yeah, Manowar did this once with their debut album "Battle Hymns" and maybe one other album. Nothing quite says "we're out of ideas" more than this...
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Crack The Sky re-did Safety In Numbers, especially because the original wasn't sung by John Palumbit.

The mix and the running-order were a different, while one or two tracks were added. I prefere the original, although the redux-version has its moments.

[Insert snarky comment here about bands that essentially re-do their debut album with every release.]

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    I saw a vid of few years back where Mike Portnoy and I think either Paul Gilbert or Petrucci on guitar and someone on bass did a live play-through of Rush's "Hemispheres" album. Not exactly what you're looking for, but in the ballpark.
    That reminds me: Pandora keeps playing this nearly note-for-note recreation of Xanadu. They identify it as Rush, but that definitely isn't Geddy singing. I think it might be Dream Theater, but I'm not sure. WHAT is the point of that?!

On a similar note, I recall on his first solo album, Tom Petty did a virtually note-for-note recreation of I'll Feel A Whole Lot Better by The Byrds. And it wasn't even just note-for-note, it sounded like he went out of his way to recreate everything about the original arrangement, from the vocal harmonies to the guitar solo, etc. I think the one thing he changed was in the coda, where he sang the refrain twice, instead of just once.

And another note, I remember Dave Davies firstly criticizing Van Halen's version of You Really Got Me, which he said "missed the point". Really?! What was the point, then, Dave?! He then praised...oh, I think it was The Stranglers, who again, did a sound-alike version of All Day And All Of The Night. I remember his comment was something like, "They even recreated the drum sound. I mean, I don't why you would do that, but they did". He seemed to act like what the Stranglers did was somehow a greater achievement than the Van Halen track. Something tells me he wasn't any happier with VH's version of Where Have All The Good Times Gone, either. (shrug)

I recall that IQ redid their first album, apparently because they were unhappy with the sound quality on the original, and as such didn't want to just do a straight "as is" reissue. So they did a new recording, then put the two out together, and let fans choose which one they wanted to listen to.

I don't think I would lump PFM in with these guys they basically released two versions for different language markets..

Todd’s decision on Faithful’s side 1 to try and make exact replicas of Beatles and Beach Boys tunes. Why? Just to prove he could?