Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Most Overrated Bands

Define overrated

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Define overrated
    The opposite of underrated

Banned
    If you think this rating of the overrated is screwed up, this one takes the award for for being the most screwed up. Would you rate (for best rock band) AC/DC higher than the Beatles.

https://www.loudersound.com/features...-of-all-time/5

Banned
    Overrated: Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, Doors, Radiohead and, from the standpoint of being worshipped as gods of all things Rock - Rolling Stones. From a longevity standpoint, they are amazing. But, musically speaking, just a very good Rock band that was prolific and revered as a live act.

No way Genesis (or The Smiths).

Agree with all except The Eagles, Doors and maybe Genesis. Genesis are a tale of 2 bands, and are kind of an apples & oranges situation. Journey may or may not be overrated, but not for the reason he stated. RHCP...eh, not sure I agree, but maybe. Kind of hard to say that Nirvana is overrated, given how influential they were. Don't know Bon Iver.

Any list of overrated bands that doesn't have the Velvet Underground on it is invalid. I'm sick of the "Everyoen who ever heard them formed a band" meme. No, no they didn't. At least half of the people who heard VU became record critics and spent the rest of eternity whining about how VU should have been the biggest band on the planet. And at least one of them, instead of forming a band, became a professional magician (who once bragged about his unopened, unpeeled first pressing copy of the banana album, saying "Even Lou doesn't have one of those!").

These sorts of discussions often mistake quality for fashionableness.

no way I will have to accept this site's cookies so I can clickbait and enforce the site's status on the web.

Sooo, unless there is a charitable soul to write the list out (I've already got a few names through your posts), I guess I won't know who this dude thinks are over-rated (as if I really cared anyways)

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I basically agree with all except for Creedence and The Doors, both of which were completely transcendent and defining endeavours in cultural terms.

U2 belong here. As for Radiohead, they were arguably the most overrated unit in pop/rock since Led Zeppelin,

And just like -ALL- other such self-proclaimed "controversial" lists, The Stooges, Springsteen, >>> controversial??? even self-proclaimed The Clash, The Smiths or Sonic Youth are obviously nowhere to be found. And I like a cuppof them too.
    Well CCR was in its own way a fairly limited band: outside JF, nobody was a genius and they remained in tight musical scope.
    Doors however are definitely not over-rated, especially on-stage, when improvising when Jimbo was fucking up.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Any list of overrated bands that doesn't have the Velvet Underground on it is invalid. I'm sick of the "Everyoen who ever heard them formed a band" meme. No, no they didn't. At least half of the people who heard VU became record critics and spent the rest of eternity whining about how VU should have been the biggest band on the planet. And at least one of them, instead of forming a band, became a professional magician (who once bragged about his unopened, unpeeled first pressing copy of the banana album, saying "Even Lou doesn't have one of those!").
    Yup, totally over-rated
    Influential obviously, over-rated certainly

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I agree with some but not all. Anyway, how do you know the guy is young? I see no reference to his age.
    MMMhhh!!!.. from what I know of the list (I won't accept the site's cookies to clickbait), there are no 80's bands listed (or at least bands that started in the 80's) so age is probably an issue

Because we know that 80% of the bands that had success mainly in the 80's are over-rated.
    Last edited by Trane; 07-09-2021 at 05:39 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I’ve always felt as though the Doors could have been much better if Jim wasn’t so self destructive. The first two showed how brilliant they could be and the longevity of their popularity is an indication of how good they were at song writing. I wish I could have seen some of those early shows when Jim was in character. Must have been very intense.

Banned
    Super post

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I’ve always felt as though the Doors could have been much better if Jim wasn’t so self destructive. The first two showed how brilliant they could be and the longevity of their popularity is an indication of how good they were at song writing. I wish I could have seen some of those early shows when Jim was in character. Must have been very intense.
    Be careful what you wish for, brilliance likely comes with instability. Jimmy, Janis and Jim fueled by drugs that speed up their destruction. A lesson was learned about the difference between use and abuse.

Velvet Underground might be the most influential band on non-mainstream or "underground" rock music. So I'd say they were very significant.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    "... The worst thing about Morrison is that he doesn’t sound like a rock star. Instead, his vocals put forth the image of a smarmy lounge singer. ..."

He was a baritone, in other words. How dare he?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    "... The worst thing about Morrison is that he doesn’t sound like a rock star. Instead, his vocals put forth the image of a smarmy lounge singer. ..."

He was a baritone, in other words. How dare he?
    Don't knock lounge singers. Remember Dean Stockwell in Blue Velvet.

All bands are over-rated and under-rated at the same time because, as this thread shows, you can make an argument for most any band on either side of that coin. What we can all agree on is that there are some bands that are under-appreciated and even some entire genres that fall into that same category.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    All bands are over-rated and under-rated at the same time because, as this thread shows, you can make an argument for most any band on either side of that coin. What we can all agree on is that there are some bands that are under-appreciated and even some entire genres that fall into that same category.
    Yes but the question is whether anyone can judge relative the relative rated ness. I think over rated ness increases relatively with the age of the music, if the journalists rating it have ages that are relatively younger. The novelty factor of music is very significant.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurker View Post
    Every band is rated exactly as it should be (by whoever is doing the rating), so there is no over- or under-rating them.
    Exactly. I think rating bands in any form is complete bullshit. You like what you like, you don't what you don't, that's the truth of the matter. Just because some hipster writer has a bug up his ass about some band his Dad probably loved, doesn't change how I feel about a band one way or another. Cutting apart some band to make yourself feel better really says more about you than it does the band in question.
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Exactly. I think rating bands in any form is complete bullshit. You like what you like, you don't what you don't, that's the truth of the matter. Just because some hipster writer has a bug up his ass about some band his Dad probably loved, doesn't change how I feel about a band one way or another. Cutting apart some band to make yourself feel better really says more about you than it does the band in question.
    Bingo

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I agree with some but not all. Anyway, how do you know the guy is young? I see no reference to his age.
    I'm guessing because music he doesn't like is 'boring'.

Cutting apart some band to make yourself feel better really says more about you than it does the band in question.
    I feel the same way. So often, when someone calls something "overrated", usually it translates to "I don't like it, and I don't get why other people do like it." As if there's some kind of universal absolute rating system that can be used to measure the worth of any work of art. Illogical.

It comes down to validating one's own opinion, and/or seeking validation from others through agreement over whether said band is overrated.

This article is wrong, IMO. For example, his comment about people claiming Genesis is the "greatest rock band of all time" seems like a straw man argument. That accolade gets attributed way more often to The Beatles, or The Stones (or Oasis), than it does to Genesis. I wish it got said about Genesis more often! Because if anything, I feel they still aren't cool in the eyes of most people nowadays.

When it comes to Radiohead, I don't think they were overrated either. But I do think that the media (and maybe some of the fans) played up their experimental/eclectic aspects too much -- when compared to other bands operating in the 90s and 2000s, there were lots of bands who were way more "out there" and avant garde than Radiohead. However, they weren't as popular. To their credit, I don't believe Radiohead ever claimed to be making "super-experimental music". They were just doing their thing, and making the music they wanted to. They've always been a pop/rock band with experimentation mixed in. I like Radiohead, btw.

How's this for a definition of overrated:

Any number of artists that I don't like, that lots of other people do like...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    definitely one of the better rock singers, with lyrics to boot and an intelligible delivery (even during his drunken slurs in Roadhouse Blues )

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Yes but the question is whether anyone can judge relative the relative rated ness. I think over rated ness increases relatively with the age of the music, if the journalists rating it have ages that are relatively younger. The novelty factor of music is very significant.
    I'd say that the novelty of newer music makes it over-rated. That's why Gnosis makes a point of rating new albums no higher than 11 (novelty factor), up to you to change it up or down later on. Whether the G2K members follow that recommendation, I don't kniow, but I do.

I can't help but feeling this. He can't get over daddy, to the point he resents anything he likes.
    A bit like Hipsters are diving for vinyls because CD represent dad's music (dad rock) and they'd rather prefer grandad's format and find idiot reasons like "ritual".
    I guess this one dude is still angry at the thought that his dad fucks his mom. vlmao.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    I'm guessing because music he doesn't like is 'boring'.
    Boring 80's pop/rock are definitely overated by hipsters.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Boring 80's pop/rock are definitely overated by hipsters.
    I recently asked a person much younger than me what a band that he had seen the night before sounded like. The response, "They're an indy band." I walked away thinking, "What the hell does that mean?"
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I recently asked a person much younger than me what a band that he had seen the night before sounded like. The response, "They're an indy band." I walked away thinking, "What the hell does that mean?"
    7795.jpg