Thread: Vintage Vinyl (Fords, NJ) Closing

Vintage Vinyl (Fords, NJ) Closing

Wow... If it wasn't for this place 30 years ago I may not have become a prog fan:

https://www.mycentraljersey.com/stor...rs/5296174001/

According to Rob Roth he had a buyer but the deal fell through. I’m amazed there isn’t a line of potential buyers queueing up.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    According to Rob Roth he had a buyer but the deal fell through. I’m amazed there isn’t a line of potential buyers queueing up.
    Go for it!

Lots of hard to find stuff here, but used records and CDs were pricy (IMO).

I remember when it was in Irvington, NJ in a hole in the wall on Springfield Ave. Nothing like the Fords site which you could spend hours in.

Quote Originally Posted by DrGoon View Post
    Go for it!
    Don't you like me?

One of the best used record stores in Phoenix, in the Downtown Arts District closed due to gentrification. The owner considered moving to another location, but the cost of moving versus how much money there actually is in used records made that option unfeasible. He wound up selling off the entire inventory at a steep discount. As the closing date approached, and the inventory dwindled, the discounts progressively increased.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    I assume the last bit was sarcasm, but I was wondering if they at least attempted to sell. I never thought it would close because the owners retired. Such a shame that they (at least seemingly) made it through the worst part of the pandemic OK and now are closing like a year later.

Quite a sad day in frownland. Found many an obscure thing there over the years and it was a good way to spend an hour or two out of the house just rummaging and exploring. I'll be sure to get there several times over the next month to scavenge what I can one last time.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

I used to work in Edison, a quick 10 minute drive to Vintage Vinyl. I'd stop by often to look through the inventory. I haven't been there in years though.

Great place for things you couldn't find anywhere. Best wishes in retirement to the owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    I assume the last bit was sarcasm, but I was wondering if they at least attempted to sell. I never thought it would close because the owners retired. Such a shame that they (at least seemingly) made it through the worst part of the pandemic OK and now are closing like a year later.

Quite a sad day in frownland. Found many an obscure thing there over the years and it was a good way to spend an hour or two out of the house just rummaging and exploring. I'll be sure to get there several times over the next month to scavenge what I can one last time.
    I was not being sarcastic. I would be hard pressed to think of a comparable store in the NY/NJ metro area that operated on that scale.

I was not being sarcastic. I would be hard pressed to think of a comparable store in the NY/NJ metro area that operated on that scale.
    Oh, my apologies then. (I know there are alot of physical media is dying/dead types on the board (who would think buying something like this would be a death knell)).

FWIW, I agree with you. I would think someone should be able to do something with it. But I guess with liquidation happening it is too late for any of that hope.

Don't you like me?
    I do - you're right, don't change.

Sad to see it happening. Before experienced also the closing of its Oakhurst, NJ store, so it is tough to see the main store go. Have been a long time customer of theirs, that is until the move few years back. Always stopped by there any time I was in the vicinity and loved to browse through bins there. It was actually the only store that I have been to, that had a separate progressive music section. Having this section there before the internet stores was simply invaluable.
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

Don't you like me?
    No, not much love from me ... in particular after totally blocking my LaserCD account and wiping away my bonus points there, merely for my disappointment and critique of your preorder policy voiced in the post here. Anyway, it just forced me to be a bit more resourceful in getting the titles and discovering new venues for doing so. Perhaps I should be grateful to you for making it a bit more interesting again and make it almost like in the old "Vintage Vinyl" days, when finding the prog titles was quite an art. No grudge here, but no love either. "Live long and prosper", peace
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

Went there yesterday...definitely a feel of 'finding some old boxes in the back' as they had several things for sale that they haven't in some time. Will try and go a couple more times before the ax finally falls.

I was there about a month ago and I swear half the prog CD selection was still the same with the same prices as when I first visited about 15 or 20 years ago. Most of the inventory seemed to be priced at or even high than Amazon or Lasers Edge or Syn-Phonic. I did pick up a few things that had been sitting there so long, they were now out of print and the inflated 'new' prices were actually on par with 'collector's' prices. I personally don't feel that's a good way to run a business. Not sure if the same pricing mentality rules the other genres in the store, but it seemed their metal section was quite extensive (because that's their target and they have high turn-over...or because their prices were so high stuff just winds up piling up?).

Be sure to update us - if there are store-wide discounts, might be worth a field trip for me!

--Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Went there yesterday...definitely a feel of 'finding some old boxes in the back' as they had several things for sale that they haven't in some time. Will try and go a couple more times before the ax finally falls.
    I was there yesterday as well. Still plenty of inventory. The metal section was even bigger than I remembered. There is a copy of Frame “Frame Of Mind” displayed on the wall but still priced a bit high even after the discount. I guess when the discount increases there will be a mad rush.

^ Yeah...there are a couple more expensive things I have my eye on as well, if it hits 50% off I'll probably buy, if they are still there of course, and certainly will if it goes above that.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    [QUOTE=chescorph;1051568
    I remember when it was in Irvington, NJ in a hole in the wall on Springfield Ave. Nothing like the Fords site which you could spend hours in.[/QUOTE]

This was close to my ancestral home (in Vailsburg, Newark) so I knew this location. Bought XTC's Big Express on vinyl there.

Quote Originally Posted by chescorph View Post
    Lots of hard to find stuff here, but used records and CDs were pricy (IMO).

I remember when it was in Irvington, NJ in a hole in the wall on Springfield Ave. Nothing like the Fords site which you could spend hours in.
    Had been going there fairly regularly since I got my driver's license. I remember Irvington but wasn't interested enough in buying music at that point. My friend's older brother bought his Beatles/solo records in Irvington before they moved.

That store had EVERYTHING in the store I wanted to buy but it fell off like most stores did about 15 to 20 years ago and despite that it was still one of the best stores in New Jersey.

There isn't one.
    Not in New Jersey as far as new releases are concerned.