Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer Olympics 2021 (er, 2020)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Suni Lee comes through for the gold this morning! Talk about stepping up!
    Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Good for her! A team of champions, all.
    Very happy for her.

As much as I admire people like Michael Phelps and Simone Biles (I'm actually big fans of both), it gets annoying how the media tends to focus solely on these dominant athletes (though, I'd like to see Katie Ledecky get more love). So, while it's heartbreaking to read about Biles' struggles, it's also heartwarming to see someone else rise up and assume the spotlight.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    The Match USA- The Netherlands is fine advertisement for womens football.

2-2 now. Match can go either way and goes into extra time.

I think/hope for NL. We have Miedema! she's a killer. 10 goals already in 4 matches.
    Just got up about a half hour ago and turned it on. Great game so far.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    That's just kids messing about on bikes
    GB won a gold and silver in BMX so it's clearly a real sport now
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

GB won a gold and silver in BMX so it's clearly a real sport now
    The U.S. kid got knocked out in a very scary crash. He is still in the hospital as of now. I still think these guys are crazy:

I find it very hypocritical that NBC is sanctimonious about the stresses the athletes are under when the network is the one that has overly-hyped and focused on these athletes to begin with.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I find it very hypocritical that NBC is sanctimonious about the stresses the athletes are under when the network is the one that has overly-hyped and focused on these athletes to begin with.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

TRUTH!
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I find it more ironic than hypocritical. Every network that has ever broadcast and advertised a sporting event will market the perceived draw(s) of that event to its audience, so this is nothing out of the ordinary.

At least NBC is being publicly supportive of the athletes as opposed to some of the ignorant and downright shameful attitudes in other media and social media that's out there.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I find it more ironic than hypocritical. Every network that has ever broadcast and advertised a sporting event will market the perceived draw(s) of that event to its audience, so this is nothing out of the ordinary.

At least NBC is being publicly supportive of the athletes as opposed to some of the ignorant and downright shameful attitudes in other media and social media that's out there.
    They want eyeballs glued to the set. The rest is just means to that end.
    The Olympics/World Cup/Wimbledon/U.S. Open, the sport does not matter. Satisfying the promises made to advertisers and shareholders is the goal.
    The 'up close and personal' stories are saccharine and they do help to fill out the athlete as a person. I just hate it when the fate of the world ( or some family tragedy/event ) depends on their performance.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Agreed.

Agree with this, too.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo
    True

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth

Also true.

But isn't allowing any kind of media, social or otherwise, to determine the level of commiseration due a human being, setting the bar kind of low?

In a cycling roadrace, the favorite and the rest of the pack failed to respond when an Austrian woman broke from the pack. Gold for the Austrian, who I believe they said is a mathematics professor.
    Unlike the Tour de France and other pro races, they have no radios between the riders and team managers, so the peloton didn't know she was up there. But that's on them because if you see seven people in a breakaway and over the course of the race six come back, then you need to assume there's still one up there. As a cycling/TdF fan, I watched that race and the Austrian woman's run at the front from start to finish was actually pretty miraculous. Her name is Anna Kiesenhofer, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Does anyone know how I can find a way to view the less popular sports? E.g. I'd like to watch the sailing...
    If you have a smart TV or a streaming device, download the NBC Sports app. You can watch both live events and replays for every single sport, as far as I know. This morning, I watched half the Canada - Brazil soccer match 24 hours after it first aired.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    The Match USA- The Netherlands is fine advertisement for womens football.

2-2 now. Match can go either way and goes into extra time.

I think/hope for NL. We have Miedema! she's a killer. 10 goals already in 4 matches.
    Vivianne Miedema is incredible. She smashed Christine Sinclair's previous record of 6 goals in a single Olympics. And if she can stay healthy, I could see her beating Sinclair's international record of 187 goals (so far). Or, at the very least, Mia Hamm's (158) and maybe Abby Wambach's (184).

But, yeah, NED is a great team. They should have beaten Brazil.

I'm not sure how they're ranked 4th in the world, behind Germany & France, and got an invitation to the Olympics.

Oh, and Daniëlle van de Donk is one of the cutest footballers I've ever seen.

I wasn't rooting for NED, of course, but I thought for sure the final was going to be NED and Sweden. Thank God I didn't put any money on it.

I know the US will be facing Canada next. I'm surprised they beat Brazil and I don't know how that happened, since I didn't finish the match yet.

Australia beat Gr Britain, which was a real bummer for me. GBR was my #2 pick to win gold, behind the US. I was hoping to see more of a match up between Lucy Bronze (GBR), the world's greatest defender, and Sam Kerr (AUS), arguably the world's greatest forward, but that didn't happen. Ellen White (GBR) scored another two goals as did Kerr, who scored AUS's final two for the win.

I watched a few interviews with White the other day. She makes my heart go pitter-pat. lol

Now I just need to go watch the Sweden - Japan match to see who won that one. I won't be surprised if SWE did.

One thing I dislike about Olympics soccer is that they base invitations on various regional tournaments, which is why Germany & France aren't in it. How messed up is that? They're ranked 2nd & 3rd in the FIFA rankings and yet aren't in the Olympics when every other team ranked in the top ten is. But hey, as long as China (15), New Zealand (22), and Zambia (104) are in it, everything's okay.

BTW, for anyone who watches women's soccer/football, when they show the losing team at the end of a match, does anyone else hear Tom Hanks' voice in their head saying "there's no crying in soccer!"?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I don't pay much attention to NBA basketball anymore but watched the men's game today. It appears that the US has taken their wakeup call game to heart.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I was watching martial arts, weight lifting, and water polo. I'll take what I can get.

I don't pay much attention to NBA basketball anymore but watched the men's game today. It appears that the US has taken their wakeup call game to heart.
    Nap time is over. It isnt a given though as the rest of the world is catching up.

I was complaining in the TV thread about the number of commercials in NBC's Sports app streams. Just now, I started watching the replay of women's shot put, for shits and giggles. They had a commercial break after 1 minute and twenty seconds. I quit watching it. Fuck NBC.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    NBC has something new this year where, while an Olympic event or game is going on, they split the screen in such a way as to show the commercials on the larger part of the screen, while shrinking the portion of the screen with live Olympics on it to the point where you know it's on, but you can't tell what's happening and you sure as hell can't read the score, even if you have the world's biggest TV. The sound, meanwhile, is all loud commercials, which they brazenly run one after another while the live games are on but you can't discern what's going on.

Was just watching women's beach volleyball US vs Canada, when near the end of game 3 in a best of 3 match, the US challenged a call as to whether the ball was in or out. The review determined the ball was in (it was too close for me to call based on what they showed me), when it had initially been called out, and changed the score to favor the US. Then an unidentified woman came over and challenged the challenge (Is that allowed? It wasn't explained). They overturned the previous review (which they didn't replay) and changed the score again favoring Canada. I didn't know what was going on and neither did the NBC announcer, who said he had never seen anything like this. The Canadian team went on to win. I don't have a problem with that, and congratulate them on their win. I just hate to see bad officiating in an elimination game (each losing team in the round was eliminated from further competition), and hope it didn't affect the outcome of the game. After the two challenges, the US team immediately (and to me, reasonably) asked for an explanation and were refused one, the ref telling them to shut up and giving them a yellow card, something else I'd never seen in beach volleyball. So congrats to team Canada who did nothing wrong, keep up the good play, and fuck you to the officials and to NBC. Maybe one of you who has more than one channel to watch the Olympics got an explanation of the officiating at that game and can tell me what happened.

Just an aside. Anyone else notice that one Olympics sponsor has an ad in which Sha'Carrie Richardson (sp) is shown. That sponsor didn't expect the US Olympic Committee to keep her from attending the Olympics in Tokyo for smoking some legal weed several months ago.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    What the hell is up with the women's 100 intros, it's like boxing hype
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

What the hell is up with the women's 100 intros, it's like boxing hype
    I saw that last night too. The one event where Jamaica kicks everyone's ass.

Nice win for the U.S. in golf last night. Schauffele was able to hold off the field in the end.

Last night, I saw our women's volleyball team brutalized by the ROC's.

Today, the dudes were getting wrecked by Argentina.

"The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Caught some of the women's weight lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Caught some of the women's weight lifting.
    I saw the women's shot put!