Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The hiking thread

This thread needs some activity. Anyone doing some hiking recently? If yes, where did you go and how was it?

I am going on my first 'major' multiple day hike next week after my hip replacement of last year. I hope more about that in a few weeks.

Just a bunch of day hikes in my area.

In summer it's green and shady (though often hot), and we have excellent hiking trails - and I take advantage whenever I can.
    Last edited by Duncan Glenday; 06-14-2016 at 06:56 PM.
    Regards,

Duncan

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Sorry guys, this thread is for discussion of 2013 Hiking!

I kid, I kid!

I go every weekend mostly up in Harriman NY because its very close. It's a huge passion of mine. There is nothing better than being out in nature. I need it...clears my head. I'll pop videos up on FB occasionally. I was here last weekend...

https://www.facebook.com/scott.mcgar...7210875000706/
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

We've recently discovered a hidden, abandoned rock-quarry swimming hole in the region - - - about a 2 mile hike through moderate terrain. It may get a few dozen folks on a nice summer day, but remains quite isolated and low volume . . . extremely deep (30 feet right off shore), with limited access . . . positively need floats or finding a big log once in the water:

That's awesome, Josef! I love finding those hideaways. Unfortunately they never stay hidden too long.

How do you get your pictures here that size?
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

This hike/swimming place has been hidden for about 50 years now - - - but the hike keeps most folks away, not to mention the ultra-deep water too. It's been known about for decades . . . and the county rangers discourage swimming there since a few people have drowned, but they cannot prohibit swimming on county land.

That pic above is being fed from my photo site (Zenfolio) . . . if you right-click on the photo and "view image" - it will display directly off my photo site.

1. Every digital image has share options on most photo sites - - - I usually choose the "large" size to share here - then copy that URL
    2. Copy that link into the "insert image" icon above -- and choose "from URL" TAB, and uncheck the "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" blue box - paste that URL into the window
    3. Test with the "Go Advanced" and then "Preview Post" buttons below on the right

If you use any photo site - try looking for the share options under each photo in the administration section - then copy the URL into here and test it out a few times. Even lots of free photo hosting sites allow this feature I think . . . but I'm not totally sure since I've been with Zenfolio for almost 10 years now and have over 16,000 images out there. It's a pretty cool site since I'm grandfathered into an older contract that charges me $29.99 per year for unlimited storage of both JPG and RAW files, videos (AVI, MP4), MP3's that can play in a slideshow . . . the only limitation on my subscription is a 25MB limit on each photo file size, but I've never approached that (even with my newer cam).

Here's one from the ADK's recently:

JK
    Last edited by WHORG; 06-15-2016 at 06:52 AM.

Hiking in Zagoria Greece

My first real multiple day hike in a long time after my hip replacement.
    Full set of photos here : https://picasaweb.google.com/1074344...39590710379233

Great pictures - thanks for posting.

Glad you're able to hike again! I can't imagine being off the trails - or of the bike - for so long.
    Regards,

Duncan

Great pics !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post

Great pictures - thanks for posting.

Glad you're able to hike again! I can't imagine being off the trails - or of the bike - for so long.
    I must admit that when I was diagnosed with severe wear on my hips I felt really down for a certain period. I was really worried not being able to hike ever again. Hiking is probably my nr 1 passion in life (yes, even over prog) Now I am glad I was diagnosed and operated. For the first time in more then 10 years I am painless. THAT is such a relieve; Knowing you can do a long hike and not having to pay the price the day after.

In September I am going hiking in South west England. Nothing too hard or special. Just long day hikes with the wife and dog. For the Christmas/new year I am planning a rather exclusive trek somewhere further away.

Heard a great joke today when watching a young US comedian, "Hiking is just walking where it's okay to piss"

I’ve been getting back in the hiking swing, but I haven’t done anything too adventurous lately. Did a bit of hiking at the wonderfully named Terra Linda-Sleepy Hollow Divide Open Space, a bit at Sibley Regional Park (up to Round Top and back down) and out to the picnic area at San Pablo Reservoir from Kennedy Grove. I need to go someplace a bit more “spectacular” on my days off.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I got a facebook timeline memory thing today from 2 years ago, and it was of hiking the Romero Canyon trails.
    Work has really killed my hiking opportunities.

Definitely NOT hiking season here in Austin, Texas: another 100 degree day with high humidity. Come on, October!

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    My boss's daughter just died in an accident during hiking:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...nd-Canyon.html
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

That's awful news Jen - - - can't imagine that !!! It appears to be a pure accident and very sad.

I have a long history of backpacking & hiking going way back - and consider myself pretty lucky (outside of aches/pains and a few blisters). There's an inherent risk that one must balance against the experience, and lots of folks don't think about that very much. I get a FaceBook feed of all the interior rescues in the Adirondacks (where I grew up) from the DEC . . . and a very high percentage are people either unprepared, or inexperienced . . . with a few being pure accidents (like your acquaintance above).

We've explored maybe 1/10th of the hiking options here in North Carolina . . . but my true backpacking days are behind me, and I focus mostly on longer day-hike/base camp experiences.

Here's a few from over the July 4th weekend:

Looking Glass Mountain from MM 417 on the Blue Ridge Parkway:

My boy going over Turtleback Falls:

Funda at Rainbow Falls - this image shows about 25% of the actual falls - it's massive:

Both those falls (above) are a very serious day-hike through the mountains, but really filter out most the riff-raff and snowflakes.

We're lucky to live in a state with such options and destinations - - - lots more to explore !!!

Have fun and be safe . . .

~Jk
    Last edited by WHORG; 07-17-2016 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WHORG View Post
    That's awful news Jen - - - can't imagine that !!! It appears to be a pure accident and very sad.

I have a long history of backpacking & hiking going way back - and consider myself pretty lucky (outside of aches/pains and a few blisters). There's an inherent risk that one must balance against the experience, and lots of folks don't think about that very much. I get a FaceBook feed of all the interior rescues in the Adirondacks (where I grew up) from the DEC . . . and a very high percentage are people either unprepared, or inexperienced . . . with a few being pure accidents (like your acquaintance above).

We've explored maybe 1/10th of the hiking options here in North Carolina . . . but my true backpacking days are behind me, and I focus mostly on longer day-hike/base camp experiences.

Funda at Rainbow Falls - this image shows about 25% of the actual falls - it's massive:

Both those falls (above) are a very serious day-hike through the mountains, but really filter out most the riff-raff and snowflakes.

We're lucky to live in a state with such options and destinations - - - lots more to explore !!!

~Jk

OIn this post the pics come up blank with "Content Protected By Owner" in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    OIn this post the pics come up blank with "Content Protected By Owner" in the field.
    Ah-ha . . . looks like my wife password protected that gallery in which these photos reside . . . password removed, they should now be visible to everyone.

JK

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WHORG View Post

~Jk
    Thanks! It is still very sad.

North Carolina is beautiful! My sister lives there and we walked through one of the parks there that wandered all over a forest. There's a forest with trails near my house in NJ, but I don't consider it hiking.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Holy shit - just found out that a young woman died at Rainbow Falls (my last pic above) this past week. We were just there and I thought to myself this same exact scenario - very sad indeed:

http://wlos.com/news/local/authoriti...falls-incident

There's some good pics in that news article, you can see how huge those falls are. We swam in the big pool at its base - but when the river's raging - it can throw over boulders the size of automobiles . . . that big pool below is filled with them. It's a beautiful place . . . but the dangers are quite obvious.

North Carolina is really diverse - we spend lots of time on the coast (I love to surf fish), and over in the mountains too.

jk
    Last edited by WHORG; 07-26-2016 at 07:16 PM.

Amazing photos!
    Check out ----> Servicing Stop <----

Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    I got a facebook timeline memory thing today from 2 years ago, and it was of hiking the Romero Canyon trails.
    Work has really killed my hiking opportunities.
    Well, it is high time to get back out there! With this most recent rain here in Tucson Romero pools must be gushing.

Here's the result of my two weeks hiking trip to Dominica (and a bit of Martinique)
    https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...dpWHBDelRmSXNn

Ever heard of the Waitukubuli National Trail? Neither did I a half year ago. It is awesom.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Here's the result of my two weeks hiking trip to Dominica (and a bit of Martinique)
    https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...dpWHBDelRmSXNn

Ever heard of the Waitukubuli National Trail? Neither did I a half year ago. It is awesom.

That's one HELL of a nice set of pictures!

How long is that hike? It looks like you must have been on the trail for days..?
    Regards,

Duncan