Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do not read this if you are a thin skinned Rush fan

Do not read this if you are a thin skinned Rush fan

It's a joke, son. And, why yes, you could substitute any number of bands names for Rush.
    a faq about your new birth control, the music of rush
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I was going to post a link to this after my brother brought it to my attention. I was cracking up reading it - very well done.
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

The irony for me is the fact that "she who must be obeyed" loves Rush, and I don't. I guess in most cases, it's the other way around...

I am a casual fan of Rush at best. I laughed.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    It's a joke, son. And, why yes, you could substitute any number of bands names for Rush.
    a faq about your new birth control, the music of rush
    "RUSH SUCKS HA HA HA HA
    join my patreon"
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

"Disgustagen"
    LOL

My wife has always said that Ged sounds like a witch.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

I like the voice of Geddy Lee, especially on the earlier albums.
    Rush music makes me want to play air-instruments.
    Not sure if it would work as an anticonceptive. But well, I'm still alone, so perhaps that is how my musical taste works.

That was a fun read.

BTW, I got off the train after Moving Pictures.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I love most things Rush, as does my wife. This was pretty funny though. I can see the witch comparison.

"Fans of Rush may tell you that women just can’t handle complicated time signatures and cerebral lyrics."

Yeah, I'd substitute "women" with "the average person".
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I love Rush, and this is funny!

Somehow I managed to have two kids. I used to have a friend who tried once to time sex so that it climaxed during the guitar solo in Xanadu. But he was kind of a bastard to girls...

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Oh, that's right, you hate keyboards.

Not bad, but nothing tops this:

I didn't have a problem with it. Rush isn't a babe magnet band. I took my wife to a few acts that were either too much rockers or too proggy, but the only one she enjoyed was Rush. She ended up seeing them at least three or four times.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

That was a fun read.

Me too, although I occasionally hear the call of the whistle and think about getting back on board. I purchased Signals recently, but I'm not yet convinced.

Banned
    That was a fun read.

Do you not at least hear some substantive stuff on "Signals" or 'Power Windows"? Particularly the latter release I thought had some great writing and playing. Of course, I am a big fan of keyboards. I do agree that after PW it was slim picking compared to their glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Me too, although I occasionally hear the call of the whistle and think about getting back on board. I purchased Signals recently, but I'm not yet convinced.
    Mind you, I did get +/- back on board with Snakes & Arrows, and the last one, but I don't own either.

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    Do you not at least hear some substantive stuff on "Signals" or 'Power Windows"? Particularly the latter release I thought had some great writing and playing. Of course, I am a big fan of keyboards. I do agree that after PW it was slim picking compared to their glory days.
    Actually I loathed GUP and PW, and it is Signals that turned me off. I was still listening closely, hoping to find something worthy, but alas...
    I must admint that I wasn't very fond of the changes happening during Waves & Pictures, but there were still good stuff on the albums
    The post-Windows albums, TBH, I haven't really paid much attention, because I had given up hope by then.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Some bands have taken directions that I didn't care for and I gave up. I never gave up on Rush. I may not play the albums between Hold Your Fire and Counterparts as often as the rest, but I still revisit them.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I didn't really get into Rush until around 2000. I saw them on the Vapor Trails (2002) tour and all. I went back and forth in their discography. I bought Hold Your Fire and really wanted to puke. Got rid of it. I'd rather hear Caress of Steel. Sue me.....

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Some bands have taken directions that I didn't care for and I gave up. I never gave up on Rush. I may not play the albums between Hold Your Fire and Counterparts as often as the rest, but I still revisit them.
    Same here.

Exept for their debut I have everything up to Show of hands and I like them, though I prefer the earlier stuff, especially when they started to add some keyboards. Still I like some of the later stuff as well.

That was funny. No Woman ever got pregnant listening to Rush. I'm a huge Rush fan and raised 7 kids... My Wife still cringes when she hears it. She did watch a good portion of Beyond the lighted stage. She thinks the guys are very likeable, but the music? Fuggettabowdit. She does kind of like Subdivisions, because that's my Autistic son's favorite song. She gets the lyrics, and Ive explained how they are the best in Rock, but she cant get past the music. I play an acoustic guitar version of Subdivisions, and she does like that.

PE Member since 7/14/2001 rushfan's Avatar
    I’ve mentioned this several times before. I met my wife when we were listening to a weekly internet radio show based on Rush. The station had a chat room where we first became friends and then started a long distance relationship 2 years later. We have now been married for almost 12 years after getting married on the 24th of May, 2009. She is a bigger Rush fan than I am. Has a bunch of tour programs, a model Red Barchetta, and a pair of the Pro Mark 747 drum sticks that used to be sold by the fan club.
    Last edited by rushfan; 05-02-2021 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rushfan View Post
    I’ve mentioned this several times before. I met my wife when we were listening to a weekly internet radio show based on Rush. The station had a chat room where we first became friends and then started a long distance relationship 2 years later. We have now been married for almost 12 years after getting married on the 24th of May, 2009. She is a bigger Rush fan than I am. Has a bunch of tour programs, a model Red Barchetta, and a pair of the Pro Mark 747 drum sticks that used to be sold by the fan club.
    Vaaat a Vooman!!! Hang on to this one!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Vaaat a Vooman!!! Hang on to this one!!!
    Now if she also would like Magma...