Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zak Rizvi Leaving Kansas

Zak Rizvi Leaving Kansas

Have not seen anyone post this here yet, but Kansas made this announcement this morning:

The band KANSAS announces that guitarist Zak Rizvi has resigned and that he looks forward to pursuing new projects.
    We thank Zak for his many contributions throughout the years and we wish him well in his future endeavors.
    KANSAS carries on with original member Phil Ehart on drums, original member Richard Williams on guitar, Billy Greer on bass and vocals, David Ragsdale on violin, guitar and vocals, Ronnie Platt on lead vocals and keyboards, and Tom Brislin on keyboards and vocals.

A less crowded stage now ;-) Brislin is the main writer now, not a bad thing.

Total bummer.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

The revolving door keeps spinning for Kansas. Too bad since Zak did contribute some writing on their newest album but live I would say he did not have a huge impact.
    The way things are still on hold for now, they have time to search for a replacement like so many times before.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    The revolving door keeps spinning for Kansas. Too bad since Zak did contribute some writing on their newest album but live I would say he did not have a huge impact.
    Zak wrote six of the nine songs on their latest album, as well as producing it. He also was the engineer for the Native Window and The Prelude Implicit albums. He was sorta the "Billy Sherwood" of Kansas. Even though he was a newer member, he was super involved in most aspects of the band's recordings.

This is an interesting turn of events considering he was so invested in the revitalization of Kansas. I wonder what's up. I don't see them getting a replacement. Rich was the only guitarist for many years and even during the classic era a lot of songs had just one guitar. Song For America is a great example. Personally I think Zak added an extra layer of heft to the proceedings, but it was at times redundant. He was good when there was a need for a more shreddy solo than Rich offers up. Thing is, that didn't arise that often unless they were covering some Morse era tune and few of those get played these days. It's like they liked Zak so much they worked him into the live band, which seemed more "nice" than "necessary". Having two guitars always playing was a bit much for the KS sound. Methinks... HUGE and all, but....
    Last edited by Sean; 04-06-2021 at 05:15 PM.

Damn. Just when they were about to break it big, too.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Carry on, my wayward son...

Yeah I think they added him since he was a big contributor to the songwriting and producing lately, but he wasn't really needed on stage imo. Probably with all the time off he probably found another path and didn't want to get back on the road.

That's a big shame, he has been key in the rejuvenation of the band.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

He was obviously important in the band's revitalization, but to my ears, the sound was a tad too guitar heavy. Assuming they stay in the classic 6-piece configuration, my hope is any new material will be more keyboard-focused like the glory days. Ronnie can play keys, so more double keyboard moments, please.

Quote Originally Posted by dregsfan View Post
    He was obviously important in the band's revitalization, but to my ears, the sound was a tad too guitar heavy. Assuming they stay in the classic 6-piece configuration, my hope is any new material will be more keyboard-focused like the glory days. Ronnie can play keys, so more double keyboard moments, please.
    Add to that, although he does not play very often, Rags is a decent guitarist as well and might be able to do some of the double up parts.

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    Yeah I think they added him since he was a big contributor to the songwriting and producing lately, but he wasn't really needed on stage imo.
    I agree... My own speculation was that because Rich has not been in the best of health, they wanted a second guitarist up there who could fill in if Rich had to miss some shows.

^^ Not to mention for a while there, all the guitar duties fell on Rich's shoulders.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    This is an interesting turn of events considering he was so invested in the revitalization of Kansas. I wonder what's up. I don't see them getting a replacement. Rich was the only guitarist for many years and even during the classic era a lot of songs had just one guitar. Song For America is a great example. Personally I think Zak added an extra layer of heft to the proceedings, but it was at times redundant. He was good when there was a need for a more shreddy solo than Rich offers up. Thing is, that didn't arise that often unless they were covering some Morse era tune and few of those get played these days. It's like they liked Zak so much they worked him into the live band, which seemed more "nice" than "necessary". Having two guitars always playing was a bit much for the KS sound. Methinks... HUGE and all, but....
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS!
    Right on point Sean, I agree.
    I get the impression when Tom joined, and from the songs he's written on the album, they would be going a bit in a different direction, perhaps a bit less shreddy as you say.
    And to me that's a good thing.

But Zak was there for Kansas at a time, especially after the loss of Steve being vocalist and front man, kept the band driven and a float.
    His love for Kansas and their music is there for all to see, and I think that passion carried over to the band and gave them drive to keep going.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I agree... My own speculation was that because Rich has not been in the best of health, they wanted a second guitarist up there who could fill in if Rich had to miss some shows.
    Besides, Rich is not getting any younger, so this could mean Kansas will be searching for Zak's touring replacement.
    Something similar to what Chester & Daryl did with with Genesis but they had no song writing credits like Zak in Kansas. I hope something is worked out by the band.

Eric Gillette (from the Neal Morse Band) would be an excellent replacement. He sings. He writes. He plays guitar, keyboards and drums. He's Christian. Could be their new Kerry Livgren.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Eric Gillette (from the Neal Morse Band) would be an excellent replacement. He sings. He writes. He plays guitar, keyboards and drums. He's Christian. Could be their new Kerry Livgren.
    Agree, he would be an excellent choice.

That would be fantastic.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

They aren't looking for a replacement. BTW

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    They aren't looking for a replacement. BTW
    Interesting. Rich handled most of the live guitar for years (with a little help here and there from Ragsdale), but I kind of liked that they had the twin guitar thing back in a live setting. Oh well, I am sure things will still be great.

Yeah, this is a bummer for sure. I really hope there's at least one more album in these guys, as the last two have been marvelous. The Rizvi/Brislin combination seemed perfect for future winning albums, but either Brislin will be handling the songwriting alone or Ehart and Greer will have to squeeze what they can out of everyone else.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

whether he is replaced or not is really not going to make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    with Eric in the band they won't need Ronnie Pratt. Eric & Tom would write some great songs together.

Dream on.