Thread: FEATURED CD - From.uz: Seventh Story

FEATURED CD - From.uz: Seventh Story

A genius reviewer once wrote:

Hard-edged, adventurous, bold yet widely varied, and ... different.

Seventh Story's flashes of brilliance, powerfully catchy melodies, and recurring themes yield an 80-minute art rock epic that must surely garner an abundance of critical acclaim. It's mostly instrumental though the vocals, which are new to the band on this record, are well executed - if somewhat accented. The music is difficult to pigeonhole - and the closest comparison is probably a more eclectic version of Riverside. The style ranges from progressive metal through fusion, from hair metal to pleasing acoustic guitar work, from Rush to Pink Floyd, and from neo-classical metal to elegantly played grand piano. There are numerous tempo and stylistic shifts, the song structures are unconventional, and the performances are technically superior.

Vitaly Popeloff's influence remains dominant, and his guitar work is consequently prominent, but two keyboardists and a substantially altered lineup give the band a somewhat different profile than their previous releases. It's less jazzy and more rock-oriented than before, and although it isn't as dark or as angular as their excellent studio debut Overlook, it's just as adventurous.

Four of the seven songs run over 10 minutes, with one hitting 20 minutes, lending an epic quality to the piece that is appropriate - since Seventh Story is clearly a concept piece. Exactly how the story hangs together isn't entirely clear despite theatrical voice overlays and clichéic effects that are obviously intended to advance the narrative. There are several recurring musical themes, but the use of recurring prose is also interesting. It's apparently a poem written by the narrator's daughter - and it appears in the lyrics of several songs as well as in the voice-overs.

From the first spin it was apparent that Seventh Story would get 5 stars, and on the second spin, it booked its place in this year's best-of list.

Added: December 9th 2010
    Reviewer: Duncan Glenday
    Score: 5 / 5
    This and 2 other reviews here: http://www.seaoftranquility.org/revi...ontent&id=8868

Some YouTube clips - though IMO, the studio releases are FAR superior.

Last edited by Duncan Glenday; 03-13-2013 at 10:07 AM.
    Regards,

Duncan

I like this album. It starts out strange--sound effects and such--but I think the whole album is a "concept" though hard for me to really state what it is. It's been a while since I've spun it, so will go check it out now....

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    I have their first two, never got around to this one for some reason. I'll try and listen to one of the other two to see if it will spur me on to get this one.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

I think they were listening to Floyd's "The Wall" when they came up with this.....

maybe.

I tried this CD and its not really my cup of tea. There are displays of superb musicianship though and the production is pretty good too. I think this band could do pretty well in the prog community if people would take the time to listen to this.

I DO think its wonderfull that we can listen to (and Buy) albums from bands from 'remote' places like Uzbekistan these days.

Fromuz captured my attention with their first release and I continue to love each of their albums. For anyone wanting to check out the other albums, you can listen at the 10T Records site, the band's label. www.10trecords.com - go to Artists & Discography. All the albums are there in their entirety so you can try before you buy.