Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: Marillion - Seasons End

There is something purely magical and beautiful about Seasons End.
    To this day it's my favorite Hogarth era Marillion albums, and Clutching at Straws my favorite Fish era Marillion.

With no internet or computer at the time of it's release, I was unaware Fish had left the band.
    You can imagine our surprise when I put the cd player in and didn't hear Fish. But it didn't take long into the album to be swept away and fall in love with Hogarth's voice and the SE music.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

I got into Marillion when I heard "Kayleigh," and then MTV told me that they were a prog band. I picked up Misplaced Childhood, listened to it a few times, really liked it, and then put it away, for some reason. Right around the time when EMI was putting out those double-disc remasters, I pulled it out again and decided that I should really pick up more of their stuff. So, I started at the beginning, having no idea that they were becoming available in these deluxe editions, and with no idea that their direction would change four albums in.

I liked the Fish stuff well enough, but when I got to Season's End, I was blown away. Gone was the overly wordy lyrics in favor of a more melodic approach with a singer that fit more of what I like. I was hooked (so sorry) right away. King of Sunset Town was such a great way to open this one, especially for anyone who didn't know anything about Hogarth. The slow build-up, almost teasing the listener, and then Rothery's guitar just blowing you away with that riff. Great stuff.

I even like Hooks in You. Sure, it's pop/AOR, but that's not a bad thing, to these ears. The album has a nice mix of the dramatic atmospheric stuff that would be explored in much more detail later, anthemic choruses, and smart instrumental work that would begin to define their sound to come. I was drawn in to the band with their work with Fish, but I became an uber-fan after Hogarth joined.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

"Hooks in You" is not all that different from "Incommunicado," the lead single from the previous album, although I'd say "Incommunicado" is the better song.
    -noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    HiE - for those ears is better than a vast majority of their output post Marbles. Dated? Sure... European track order better than US release - absolutely.... Bsides again better than at least two trax - certainly....

I guess the 'hunger' is still there that I find lacking post 2000.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    "Holidays In Eden" is an album I was pretty disappointed in when it came out, but it has grown on me a lot over the years, and today I really like it.

Quote Originally Posted by noisynoise View Post
    "Hooks in You" is not all that different from "Incommunicado," the lead single from the previous album, although I'd say "Incommunicado" is the better song.
    I also don't mind "Hooks in You" that much. What's interesting to me is that a very similar type of song shows up on IQ's comeback album from a couple years later -- Ever's "Out of Nowhere". Neo-prog's last grasp at mainstream, commercial success?
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    There is something purely magical and beautiful about Seasons End.
    To this day it's my favorite Hogarth era Marillion albums, and Clutching at Straws my favorite Fish era Marillion.

With no internet or computer at the time of it's release, I was unaware Fish had left the band.
    You can imagine our surprise when I put the cd player in and didn't hear Fish. But it didn't take long into the album to be swept away and fall in love with Hogarth's voice and the SE music.
    Same here... At first it was WTF but after second listen I was like you know what everything is going to be allright..

The eons are closing

Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Really I guess I should be ashamed of myself, I used to put the record on the turntable and sit down and listen till the end, 20 minutes, and then do it over and over again. As I think back now, I should have walked across the room and skipped this song and that song, that surely would have been easier than just appreciating what the band or artist had worked on or intended to present, makes me feel pretty dumb now. I guess i just didn't get it back then.

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by fiberman View Post
    that surely would have been easier than just appreciating what the band or artist had worked on or intended to present, makes me feel pretty dumb now
    You're right - should never have formed my own opinion on how art and artist speaks to me - better to just be like that Jon Anderson facebook moderator who listens ad infinitum until "aurally waterboarded" by faith and devotion into saying it's the 2nd coming of Olias.....

I will remember that going forward and assure that the 101st time I listen to this album, I will consider that. Thanks for the reminder.

I used to be a big (fish-area) Marillion fan as a teen. Only band I ever became a fanclub member off. I was very sad when Fish left the band.

When Seasons End came out I remember not being extremely enthusiastic but it did keep me onboard. Later albums with Hogarth were better.

I had not listened to Seasons End for about 15 years but I did last evening. For me two tracks stand out; Easter and the Space.
    A couple are okay (King of Sunset town, Seasons End, Berlin, Uninvited guest) and a couple of "meh" ( Holloway girl, after me and Hooks in you).

My preferences changed a lot over the years so I would probably not buy this album if it would be released right now. Will listen again in another 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    My first Marillion album.
    Mine too! I met a girl during my second year at Uni and she was a big Marillion fan. I'd only heard the hits and didn't think much of them, but as we were arranging to go to see them on their Xmas tour (1991?) I bought Season's End and really enjoyed it. The gig was good as well, in a small nightclub in Manchester supported by Cry No More (Chas Cronk from the Strawbs and Roy Hill who'd also been a Strawb briefly - and their music had been used in a horror film I'd seen called Bloody New Year). Listening to the album takes me back to those days. Of course I checked out their earlier albums and discovered they were a prog band and fitted in nicely with the Tull, Yes and ELP I'd been getting into at that time.

I picked up some of the singles as well, and prefer The Bell in the Sea and The Release to some of the album tracks (Hooks in you, mainly!).

Nothing happened with the girl (In fact, I don't know what happened, it was a bit odd) but when I met my wife she liked Marillion/Fish and we saw them both many times.

Easter and Seasons End are wonderful songs but the rest of the album I found very tedious. I did buy some later albums too but didn't like them so that was the end of Marillion for me.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by noisynoise View Post
    'Incommunicado' (definitely the better song, yes) isn't so lyrically pedestrian and, for me, Fish pulls off this style better.

The eons are closing
    Incommunicado and HiY are both the more obvious singles on each album but that's really where the comparison ends.

Incommunicado is totally widdly keyboard driven with a catchier, more 'intelligent' lyric (.... toupee on the cabaret scene...)

HIY is generic riffing from a band not known for that coupled with lyrics straight from a leftover Slaughter song.

Quote Originally Posted by Harbottle View Post

I picked up some of the singles as well, and prefer The Bell in the Sea and The Release to some of the album tracks (Hooks in you, mainly!)
    Definitely, those are among the best B sides of their career. The Release went down a storm when it was surprisingly included in the setlist on the 2007 tour.

Still my favourite Marillion album. Not a note out of place. Even the much derided Hooks In You is a keeper for me.

Quote Originally Posted by fiberman View Post
    I like this as I like all of the Marillion albums,I don't skip songs. They all have a special time and place in my mind and it's always fun for me to revisit. I really don't see anything wrong with Holidays either to be singled out as dismal, in fact I like that one too! Call me a fanboy, if you must but I am not one bit embarrassed to be a fan of Marillion.
    Right there with you. At least for everything except Brave, half of Afraid of Sunlight and Less is More.

They're a top ten all-time favorite band of mine. While Brave is my personal favorite of theirs and one of my top albums from anyone ever, Seasons End certainly has a charm all its own. Inconsequentially, they both contain tracks that, to me at least, don't have much to do with the thematic elements of the rest of their respective albums ("Hooks in You", "Paper Lies").
    Last edited by progeezer's ghost; 05-25-2021 at 01:33 AM.
    'The smell of strange colours are heard everywhere'- Threshold

I love Easter and the title track but I wish Fish had stayed.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

33rd anniversary of my seeing the band for the first time, which was during this album's tour on 14 Feb 1990 at the TLA in Philly back when there were seats there, after having listened to them since around 1983.

The eons are closing
    I was at The Ritz show four days earlier which was my birthday and only 2nd time seeing Marillion

I was at The Ritz show four days earlier which was my birthday and only 2nd time seeing Marillion
    I was at the Ritz Detroit (Roseville) show. That sucker started late! Killer show.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaman Aksu View Post
    33rd anniversary of my seeing the band for the first time, which was during this album's tour on 14 Feb 1990 at the TLA in Philly back when there were seats there, after having listened to them since around 1983.
    My first Marillion show was at the same venue, sans seating, on the Marbles tour. Don't remember the date, unfortunately, but they recorded the show for their Racket Club series. Amazing show.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    The first time I saw Marillion was at a small club in Ottawa in 1988.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

The eons are closing
    Actually that Feb 10 show was my third show.

That night - The Ritz had the Buster Douglas - Tyson fight and Marillion went on after the fight was over....

I saw the November 89 show too at The Ritz (NYC) where Dream Theater opened.