Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tony Banks & Jack Hues- Strictly Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    A fan of Tony Banks solo work. I think he was always trying to get that pop/rock hit that wasn't natural to him. His promotion was next to zero. Whatever MTV videos he had seemed to low budget. He's just not a front man, but unlike Rutherford who also isn't, he didn't surround himself with the people to do the job.

That said, I only think his first album is great. None of the albums are stinkers and all have some very good songs. Rate em. I'll play

A Curious Feeling
    Still
    Strictly Inc

Bankstatement
    Soundtracks
    The Fugitive

Bankstatement has grown on me over the years as The Fugitive hasn't aged well.
    Agree A Curious Feeling is the only one that I regularly listen to.

Because over the last years Duke has become my most played Genesis-album I pulled out Strictly Inc. based on the OP. Personally I don't hear any Duke-references at all, apart of course of the epic An Island In The Darkness. The other songs are oké, but often sound as if it's another Mike + The Mechanics, but now with leading keyboards. It often sounds so based on formula's and indeed the drum-arrangements don't help either. There's sometimes a fine keyboard-solo, like in Strictly Incognito, but mostly it stays in the safe-mode.
    When there's one album that can be compared with Duke it's A Curious Feeling, not only because of the same sounds but also because of the dramatic, emotional vibe of the whole piece.
    But still, thanks for the original post. Nice to hear this one again. Must have been more than 20 years since it got my attention.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Because over the last years Duke has become my most played Genesis-album I pulled out Strictly Inc. based on the OP. Personally I don't hear any Duke-references at all, apart of course of the epic An Island In The Darkness. The other songs are oké, but often sound as if it's another Mike + The Mechanics, but now with leading keyboards. It often sounds so based on formula's and indeed the drum-arrangements don't help either. There's sometimes a fine keyboard-solo, like in Strictly Incognito, but mostly it stays in the safe-mode.
    When there's one album that can be compared with Duke it's A Curious Feeling, not only because of the same sounds but also because of the dramatic, emotional vibe of the whole piece.
    But still, thanks for the original post. Nice to hear this one again. Must have been more than 20 years since it got my attention.
    I listened to this album for the first time recently, based on this thread. A lot of it sounds like drum machine. I looked up the credits on Wikipedia and going by that, JR Robinson played drums on much of the album and Nathan East played bass. I don't feel like checking right now, but I think some drum tracks are drum machine. All of the Genesis guys were into that and Tony Banks might have stuck with it on this album for some tracks.

No question about it, John Robinson and Nathan East are among the best session players of all time. They've got resumes miles long. On this album, the music comes across as a bit too safe. Not that it's their fault, because their performances are flawless. I think it's more that Phil Collins was able to light a fire under Banks' compositions and that's what's missing.

I like Strictly Inc okay. Island... is excellent, and a few others, ‘A Piece of You’, ‘The Serpent Said’, and ‘Never Let Me Know’, I also really enjoy, especially the instrumental breaks. A Curious Feeling’ and Still I think are amazing. Still probably is his most accomplished, with the most depth.

First time listening whole Tony Banks album entirely. Not bad, lot of Genesis here.
    Could someone comment on the "Banks Vaults: Complete Albums 1979-1995" (probably this was already discussed here in the forum, sorry). Ah I found the thread discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    I like Strictly Inc okay. Island... is excellent, and a few others, ‘A Piece of You’, ‘The Serpent Said’, and ‘Never Let Me Know’, I also really enjoy, especially the instrumental breaks. A Curious Feeling’ and Still I think are amazing. Still probably is his most accomplished, with the most depth.
    Same here. "Walls of Sound" and "Only Seventeen" are two other favorites of mine from Strictly Inc. The bridge section of "Never Let Me Know" is really beautiful, and pure Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by rickm View Post
    First time listening whole Tony Banks album entirely. Not bad, lot of Genesis here.
    Could someone comment on the "Banks Vaults: Complete Albums 1979-1995" (probably this was already discussed here in the forum, sorry). Ah I found the thread discussion.
    Banks Vaults is great. I already owned the albums, but it was worth it for some of the extras and all the new mixes. There's something worthwhile on every one of Banks' solo records.

I’ve had this since it came out. GREAT CD! This could have been a successful Genesis release. Love the ending track! Excellent stuff!
    So much music....so little time....

Charity Balls may be the worst Tony Banks song; otherwise I really like this album...but I'm also a big fan of Bankstatement, so you'll have to take my opinion with more than a grain of salt

Still can't figure why The Fugitive got a 5.1 mix, but these latter albums, that would really benefit from that format, are neglected

--Peter