Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: CDs with wrong/sloppy track indexing

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    I have heard of mispressed LPs with one band on one side and another band on the other side.
    My first copy that I bought of Aqualung came with Jimi Hendrix Rainbow Bridge inside. The album was marked right but was in the wrong cover. They were both reprise records so I guess that’s not too surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    And just today, Bowling on Charen (formerly The Squirm) came up on my mp3 player and I anticipated the CLUNK from my old 8-track, somewhere around the 5 minute mark or so.
    I still anticipate those. In fact, taking it a step further, I still anticipate parts of songs that were demagnetized on my cassettes.

On my 8-track of Leftoverture, they didn't even bother repeating the music after the fade-out/CLUNK/fade-in. I never heard part of the guitar solo on "The Wall" until I got the half-speed mastered vinyl.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Talking about anticipating things like "fade out/clunk clunk/fade in" or whatever when listening to music in newer formats, I had that happen to me with one particular song, and a cople different ways, and the first was for a really funny reason (well, funny in my mind).

Apart from the medleys on the Three Sides Live and Mama Tour concert videos (each of which I saw on TV, once or twice), my introduction to 70's era Genesis was the Genesis In Concert film, which Night Flight ran regularly in the 80's. I remember the first time I saw it, I had the VCR ready to record, and I remember thinking, "I'm not going to know any of these songs", which turned out to be exactly correctly.

So anyway, one of the songs in that film is Entangled, which is followed by what the intertitles tells us is "Supper's Ready Part Two", basically starting with Apocalypse in 9/8.

So I had this on VHS, and watched it a lot, before I bought any of the albums. So when I finally got A Trick Of The Tail, when I listened to it, when Entangled ended, in my mind, I'd hear the guitar arpeggios that start of the Supper's Ready excerpt that appears in Genesis In Concert, before that Eminor7th chord (I think it's E minor) comes crashing to announce the beginning of Squonk.

Then, at some point afterwards, I made a mixtape that had Entangled on it, and by then, I'd go back and forth between expecting Apocalypse In 9/8 or Squonk, before the next song would begin (no, I don't remember what the next song was, I probably still have that mixtape, but I may not have listened to it in nearly 30 years).

On my 8-track of Leftoverture, they didn't even bother repeating the music after the fade-out/CLUNK/fade-in.
    Do you mean the music between the fade out and the fade in? My understanding is that always happened. They'd leave the tape running while prepping the 8-track master, so losing around 10 or 15 seconds or whatever it was on a given song that went across the program change like that was SOP. Imagine trying to listen to something like Gates Of Delirium (which was split across three programs) that way!

Close to the edge …. CLUNK …. down by the River
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    I have heard of mispressed LPs with one band on one side and another band on the other side.
    I still own a record of patriotic American orchestral music, with a duplicate of side 1 pressed where side 2 should be. It was pressed in the Neterlands, or Denmark, or some other European country. I forget which. I also own a 3 record set of Grieg's piano music volume I, which is actually a mislabeled Volume II set.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Do you mean the music between the fade out and the fade in? My understanding is that always happened. They'd leave the tape running while prepping the 8-track master, so losing around 10 or 15 seconds or whatever it was on a given song that went across the program change like that was SOP. Imagine trying to listen to something like Gates Of Delirium (which was split across three programs) that way!
    I definitely had some 8-tracks that picked up before the fadeout on the next track.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Some cassettes used to rearrange songs to make the sides about the same length. I had bought Santana Welcome on cassette when it came out and two songs were switched on each side to make them about the same length. I didn’t know that until I purchased it on vinyl a few years later.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbassdrum View Post
    I don't know what was worse, just switching in the middle of a song, or having it fade down, CLUNK, fade up.

One of the first CDs that sprang to mind when I saw this thread was REM's Fables of the Reconstruction, but that turns out to be just REM being REM.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I definitely had some 8-tracks that picked up before the fadeout on the next track.
    A high school friend would record records to 8-track. There was no fade in or out, it simply clunked unexpectedly right in the middle of a song. Then to fill any blank space at the end of channel 4, he'd record random songs. All the while waiting with baited breath to pull the tape out, right when it changed back to channel 1. The last song would suddenly cut off right then and there.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by bigbassdrum View Post
    The first time I heard Close to the Edge was on an 8-track my uncle had. Can't remember where the program change in the title piece was, sorry.

i never under stood the concept of 8 tracks tapes....
    why was the album cut into 4 even sections?
    why not just play each vinyl side twice?
    many songs were chopped or edited to fit the format.
    was i missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    was i missing something?
    Part of the songs.

Because that would be much more expensive to produce, using twice as much tape.

Although some people (e.g., my dad) had 8-track decks as part of a home stereo system, they were primarily used for in-car listening, and nobody really cared much if they heard a few Sgt Pepper songs in the wrong order on the way to the laundromat.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

many songs were chopped or edited to fit the format.
    was i missing something?
    The appeal of the 8-track tape was continuous play

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    and nobody really cared much if they heard a few Sgt Pepper songs in the wrong order on the way to the laundromat.
    Some of us did.

Yeah, but you're a music nerd. Music nerds could buy a car with a cassette player (or have one installed) and get better sound, a more reliable and durable tape format, and songs uninterrupted by the program change CLUNK. 8-tracks were for the masses who don't care about that stuff, the same masses who today are happy listening to overcompressed MP3s of autotuned singers.
    Uh, no. You couldn't be more wrong about me.

I am a fan of the music as the artist intended. I respect their art. I have no respect for bastardizing their work.

Quite frankly, your assertions are ridiculous.

Which is exactly what makes you a music nerd. You may object to my flippant terminology, but I am not wrong. Perhaps, because I did talk about the superior quality of cassettes, you misinterpreted "music nerd" as "audio nerd." I'm just talking about people who do have a serious interest in music as art, not as a lifestyle choice that comes with pleasant background noise to bop along to.

Touchy, touchy. Take it as a compliment, for Christ's sake.
    So is is music nerd or audio nerd?

"Music nerds could buy a car with a cassette player (or have one installed) and get better sound," reads like you're equating them.

Hard to follow you original post, dude. Tongue-in-cheeck doesn't come across very well in the written word. But you still made some wrong assumptions with your generalizations. I actually bought an 8-track player for my car, since it had only an AM/Fm radio. And, when I joined the infamous Columbia House Record & Tape club, it was for 8-tracks. It did offer continuous play, after all. I saw no difference in fidelity from cassettes in the late 70s. Back then, better sound, meant bigger speakers. We're referring to teenagers, after all, not fidelity geek enthusiasts. Context matters.

Yet, high fidelity or low, none of that had any bearing on my appreciation of the art. Just like streaming low bit rates online today. And, the fact that I'm a long-time bootleg collector (which, of course, you wouldn't know), sound quality takes a back seat to the material.

So, while I may have misinterpreted your flippant compliment, you still made some wrong assumptions. Hence, my reaction.

You obviously just want to be offended. Fine. Knock yourself out.
    Hardly. That's laughable.

But, hey, no problem. I'm willing to admit my misinterpretation. You clearly aren't willing (or, perhaps, able) to accept even the remotest possibility that you erred in your assumptions and maybe, just maybe, your original comment could have been better constructed.

We are, after all, imperfect beings. Well, most of us are.

Whatever.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Cri-
    CLUNK
    -pes.

I forgot about Iceberg’s Tutankhamon until just recently. The Actual CD is one of the worst botch jobs I have ever heard! The Actual label also screwed up Coses nostres thanks to some weird distortion on the Moog. Anyone know if the later Picap CD fixes this? Picap definitely seem like a more legit label, what with their whole “preserving Catalan cultural treasures” thing.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I forgot about Iceberg’s Tutankhamon until just recently. The Actual CD is one of the worst botch jobs I have ever heard! The Actual label also screwed up Coses nostres thanks to some weird distortion on the Moog. Anyone know if the later Picap CD fixes this? Picap definitely seem like a more legit label, what with their whole “preserving Catalan cultural treasures” thing.
    My 2016 copy Picap CD of Coses nostres does have distortion on some of the Moog syntheszier parts. Not all of them, though, mostly on those saw wave leads where Más is doubling the guitar. I don't hear it on the solo of "11/8", for example. Apparently there is a digipack version from 2003 that is supposed to be better.

What's the problem with Actual version of Tutankhamon? I have the digipack Picap version and its only indexing problem is with the timings printed on the disc and the back cover. They are consistently wrong, and I don't mean by a few seconds. For example, the overture "Tebas" and its reprise at the end are given respective running times of 4'35'' and 3'05'', whereas both run well under two minutes on the correctly indexed disc.

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    What's the problem with Actual version of Tutankhamon? I have the digipack Picap version and its only indexing problem is with the timings printed on the disc and the back cover. They are consistently wrong, and I don't mean by a few seconds. For example, the overture "Tebas" and its reprise at the end are given respective running times of 4'35'' and 3'05'', whereas both run well under two minutes on the correctly indexed disc.
    The Actual version uses those incorrect timings on the actual (no pun intended) disc.

Actual seems to be a very dodgy label, as they apparently botched the master of Sentiments (which I have never heard) as well.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    The Actual version uses those incorrect timings on the actual (no pun intended) disc.
    Ouch. Well, at least that makes sure that people just listen to the whole thing from start to finish.