Thread: Watch Peter Gabriel Re-Record ‘Biko’ With Artists From Around the World

Watch Peter Gabriel Re-Record ‘Biko’ With Artists From Around the World

New version of 1980 classic features Yo-Yo Ma, the Cape Town Ensemble, Sebastian Robertson, and bassist Meshell Ndegeocello

Peter Gabriel has re-recorded his 1980 protest classic “Biko” with help from 25 musicians from around the globe, including Beninese vocalist and activist Angélique Kidjo, Yo-Yo Ma, the Cape Town Ensemble, Sebastian Robertson, and bassist Meshell Ndegeocello.

The video was produced by Sebastian Robertson and Mark Johnson as part of Playing for Change’s Song Around the World initiative.

The original song was written as a tribute to South African anti-apartheid activist Steve Biko, who was murdered in police custody in 1977, but Gabriel tells Rolling Stone that it still holds incredible meaning today. “Although the white minority government has gone in South Africa, the racism around the world that apartheid represented has not ,” he says. “Racism and nationalism are sadly on the rise. In India, Myanmar and Turkey, Israel and China, racism is being deliberately exploited for political gain.”

“On the black/white front the Black Lives Matter movement has made it very clear how far we still have to go before we can hope to say we have escaped the dark shadow of racism,” he adds.

Read More & Watch The Clip Here:
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...mance-1126360/

Spine-tingling.

I remember the first time I heard this played live at the Garden State Arts Center in NJ in '82 or '83. It was the closing number, and afterward the crowd continued the "Oh-oh-ohhhhh" chant as we exited the venue.

I love PG.

Peter Gabriel never gets the credit he surely deserves for bringing the world together in a musical sense

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    Spine-tingling.

I remember the first time I heard this played live at the Garden State Arts Center in NJ in '82 or '83. It was the closing number, and afterward the crowd continued the "Oh-oh-ohhhhh" chant as we exited the venue.

I love PG.
    '82 for me, and it was one of the top live music experiences of my life. Spine-tingling indeed!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Wow.

Wonderful!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I definitley vividly remember watching all the band members leave the stage as Gabriel closed with Biko and the chant from the audience.
    I also strongly agree that racism is systemic in all levels in our society, including Canada and other western nations.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 02-13-2021 at 11:26 AM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

That was great. Thanks for sharing. Cool to see Robbie Robertson's son there as well.

All it needs is TLev... Seriously, a beautiful reimagining!
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    Spine-tingling.

I love PG.
    And I remember seeing PG perform "Biko" live in concert at Forest Hills Tennis Stadium, NY in '83 & The Meadowlands NJ in '87. It was the last song at both shows, the song really came to life & hearing the crowd chant 'oh oh ohhhh' gave me goosebumps.

That was spiritual. I saw Peter’s tour at the Tower Theater in Philly for the third album and the ending song Biko was one of those musical experiences you could never forget. You could feel the energy and togetherness in the building. Left an expression on me I’ll never forget.

Powerful! I’ve loved that song since it was released. It always chokes me up. Man’s inhumanity to fellow man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Anyone wondering about the participation of the Pyramid Lake Paiute might want to read a little history:

Paiute War

Excellent video, Mr Gabriel and friends.