Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Transatlantic - The Absolute Universe

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    Of course the formula hasn't changed but those albums have a band chemistry that bring back some of the excitement of those early Spock's albums. I think Similitude is right up there with Snow as the best concept albums he's done.
    Maybe I should give Similitude another shot. I tried it a couple years ago and wasn't able to get into it, but I could always try again.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Exactly. Morse's lyrics have more to do with "The Good News Bible" than the King James version. That's a huge difference. I will say this for Morse: The subject matter of SOME of his albums is, I think, somewhat different - the ones dealing with Martin Luther, and other historical religious matters (and using "The Pilgrim's Progress" as source material). That stuff might be interesting, though I don't know enough about Morse's lyrics or those historical and literary matters to know for sure. I remember there was something controversial to some listeners about Morse's use of Luther, but again, I'm not really up on that stuff.
    Here's a tidbit from The Man himself: "I had made up my mind to write no more either about the Jews or against them. But since I learned that these miserable and accursed people do not cease to lure to themselves even us, that is, the Christians, I have published this little book, so that I might be found among those who opposed such poisonous activities of the Jews who warned the Christians to be on their guard against them. I would not have believed that a Christian could be duped by the Jews into taking their exile and wretchedness upon himself. However, the devil is the god of the world, and wherever God’s word is absent he has an easy task, not only with the weak but also with the strong. May God help us. Amen."

That's the tame stuff, any other questions?

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    I appreciate the recommendation for the Neal Morse Band albums. I had assumed they were along the same lines as his solo albums in terms of religious content, but that isn’t the case. I sprang for a couple of the downloads and they are quite enjoyable.
    Cool, glad you dig them. Everyone in the NMB sings and has a hand in songwriting and arrangements too, so it is quite a bit different from his solo stuff.

Similitude is probably be my favorite of theirs. The Great Adventure is not one I return to, but otherwise I like the others a lot. And NMB are fantastic live (you know, when that was a thing...sigh).

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    I wish Morse would come to Atlanta sometime. It’s less than four hours from Nashville.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Finally getting to spin Forevermore, sounds pretty good so far. Roine's guitar is very tasty and Pete's bass is crunchy and prominent, just the way I like it. But what's with the seriously pissed-off face Neal is making on all but one of the booklet photos?
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Okay, I take it all back. The Breath of Life is excellent, and I'm totally feeling this album. Except for "Take Now My Soul" with its cringeworthy "Lord, I'm coming home" thing, the lyrics are pretty generic feel-good stuff so I don't have a problem with them. The music is enjoyable, the melodies are catchy (I love the verse to "Reaching For The Sky," it gets my adrenaline going) and the playing is, of course, top-notch. I'm amazed by how kicking Trewavas is, it's a side he just doesn't show in Marillion. The production is practically crystalline. These days I look forward to putting it on and blissing out for an hour and ten minutes.

When I've worn this out, I'll check out Forevermore. That'll certainly be an odd experience!
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    Thank you for your permission to blame anyone I like. For the moment, I'm miffed. Later on I'll be annoyed. Maybe I'll eventually come to grips with it and move on.
    You might get agitated after you get annoyed.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Finally getting to spin Forevermore, sounds pretty good so far. Roine's guitar is very tasty and Pete's bass is crunchy and prominent, just the way I like it. But what's with the seriously pissed-off face Neal is making on all but one of the booklet photos?
    He did have to fly from Nashville to Sweden so maybe he was feeling jet lagged and out of his element.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

I only have the extended version. I was wondering if maybe Neal was smiling in the photos on the abridged version.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I only have the extended version. I was wondering if maybe Neal was smiling in the photos on the abridged version.
    Now that would say a lot about the making of both albums!

But, but no-smile promo means the prog inside is better, no?

A topic for another thread: prog promo pics and the faces musicians make in them

I thought they all looked very serious in the promo pictures I saw (the ones for the interviews).

After all, the album is about the absolute universe. It's a quite serious topic, whatever it means.

Does humor belong in the Universe?
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    I thought they all looked very serious in the promo pictures I saw (the ones for the interviews).

After all, the album is about the absolute universe. It's a quite serious topic, whatever it means.
    Perhaps conversely, this album feels like they’re having the most fun than on any other TA project in the past. In my opinion at least, I think it sounds the most fun.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Perhaps conversely, this album feels like they’re having the most fun than on any other TA project in the past. In my opinion at least, I think it sounds the most fun.
    It does seem that way. The photos seem out of place somehow, but perhaps I've failed to notice (not having read the lyrics or paid much attention, lol) the extreme gravity of the proceedings.
    <sig out of order>

I think The Absolute Universe finally provides a global theory that unifies astrophysics and quantum physics.

The fact that the album exists simultaneously in different incompatible versions in the same universe is a proof of that.

It is an extremely important discovery, hence the serious pictures. Neal, in particular, does look a bit concerned with the religious implications of this.

Neal's scowl and turned-down mouth is so extreme that I'm thinking it's an inside joke with them.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I remember when the promo video for Shine (from Kaleidoscope) came out, someone here posted about how disgusted he was by it, and he described what each of the band members looked like. Pete was a high school English teacher or something, Neal was "the Dad," etc. It was very funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    I think The Absolute Universe finally provides a global theory that unifies astrophysics and quantum physics.

The fact that the album exists simultaneously in different incompatible versions in the same universe is a proof of that.

It is an extremely important discovery, hence the serious pictures. Neal, in particular, does look a bit concerned with the religious implications of this.
    So this album is Schrodinger's Cat?

Banned
    Does humor belong in the Universe?
    The definitive answer to that question is offered up in National Lampoon's "Deteriorata"

"You are a fluke of the universe.
    You have no right to be here.
    And whether you can hear it or not,
    The universe is laughing behind your back".

the extreme gravity of the proceedings.
    Well played sir.

I feel like Forevermore sags a little in the middle, despite the very strong start and finish. I haven't had a chance to check out the single disc version yet.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    So this album is Schrodinger's Cat?
    Yes. And no.

"Overture" reminds me of the ending section of a Flower Kings epic.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet