Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Transatlantic - The Absolute Universe

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Frum isn't a huge prog fan: he buys lots of different music.

But I feel bad for the genre if someone thinks this is the best it has to offer.

Henry
    I’m not saying it’s life changing, but it’s tuneful and rocking. I can crank it in the car. It’s very well produced and well executed. Every year is different. Some more than others. If you had told me on 01/01/2020 that my favorite album of the year would be by AC/DC then I wouldn’t have believed you on that or a bunch of other stuff that went down in 2020 either.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    There you go, that's more like it. Enjoy your purchases.
    If I had crawled over broken glass, I probably wouldn't be enjoying my purchase. I'd be like all ow, oo, that hurts, that might get infected.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I came to that conclusion after the 2nd, and stopped there. Don't feel like I've missed a thing.
    You have missed a couple things, but suit yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    Actually, you DID miss a thing; it's called Whirlwind.
    Yeah, they change the wrapper on the Big Mac every now and then too.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Yeah, they change the wrapper on the Big Mac every now and then too.

Whirlwind is more like a Whopper from Burger King, and Absolute Universe is the spicy chicken sandwich from Popeye's.

But seriously, it ain't just a change of the "wrapper" as you seem to think it is. I never cared a whole lot for the first two TA albums, but Whirlwind was way better to my ears. Less dominated by Neal too.

I think the new releases (both versions) are up there with their first two albums.

I never could get into The Whirlwind, and I don't remember anything at all off of Kaleidoscope. I can play the entirety of the first two albums in my head, while playing hi-hat and snare on my steering wheel and playing bass drum with my clutch foot.

I've listened to the extended version. I guess I feel if you have any of the first 3 records, you don't need this one. It's well performed but nothing new.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    I've listened to the extended version. I guess I feel if you have any of the first 3 records, you don't need this one. It's well performed but nothing new.
    I know what you are saying, but isn’t that the point of Transatlantic? You could say that after they released the first album to be fair

Personally I bought Fragile, Free Hand, Selling England By The Pound and then moved straight on to exclusively buying albums made after 1995.
    <sig out of order>

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Yesterday my copy of the new Transatlantic finally arrived, so I had my first listen to just the abridged version (aside from the promo tracks). Initial reactions:

- Seemed good, with a fair number of promising melodic hooks.
    - Not nearly enough vocals from Roine, and not enough guitar either. But plenty of Neal vocals and keyboard work.
    - Pete should not be singing lead vocals; Portnoy's vocals have improved, so he provided a bit of a break from Neal.

Tonight I'll get in another listen to this version, then tomorrow night probably the extended version.

Question: How much of a difference is there between the extended version on CDs 2/3 vs. the stereo version on the Blu-Ray?
    Last edited by JKL2000; 02-19-2021 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Question: How much of a difference is there between the extended version on CDs 2/3 vs. the stereo version on the Blu-Ray?

My overall feelings on Spock's/Neal/FloKi/TA is that I can live with it or without it. None of it is among my favorite music, but I enjoy most of it while I'm listening to it, and I'm usually interested to see what the bands do differently on each release, except post Neal Spock's, which I just really don't care for. But any of this stuff I don't mind or might enjoy in a comfortable live setting where I can space out.
    Unfortunately I can't comment on that, as I've been stuck on the extended edition for the last couple weeks, but I'm going to give the abridged version a spin today.

Regarding TA and the associated bands, I feel the same way about some of them. Flower Kings will always be an autobuy for me, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. I just enjoy Roine's compositional and playing style. Neal's not so much, but that's more down to a personal taste kinda thing; the guy's way talented, and I'd love to be able to write songs half as good as he can. I just don't really feel the urge to have more music from him, but that might just be my loss. I haven't heard any of his NMB stuff since The Grand Experiment really.

Also, Spock's Beard's X album from 2010 was a pretty great release IMO. I have fond memories of that one.

I don't care enough about any of it to get my knickers in a twist, and I get pretty tired of people posting about how much they don't like it, or got off the bus at this point, etc. If someone doesn't like Mexican Food, I don't need to know anything more from them about Mexican Food. But I'm perfectly capable of skipping posts if they look like they're going into that.

Finally got to listen to the second disc of Forevermore with the two Pete lead vocals and...ooof....as I said earlier, I like when he trades off a verse with other members...
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Not nearly enough vocals from Roine, and not enough guitar either.
    Then you're going to love the Extended version !

I haven't heard it to be honest but from what I've read, it follows the track list of the Extended version while keeping most of the changes of the Abridged version on the tracks that are common to both, as well as adding the track that is exclusive to the Abridged version.
    Last edited by LeFrog; 02-19-2021 at 04:06 PM.

My super deluxe version finally shipped from Radiant Records today. I was starting to wonder since the last update from Neal was almost two weeks ago now.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    There are parts in The Darkness in the Light where, to my ears, Roine sounds quite a bit like Roger Waters. Not sure which lines - I'll try to make a note of them next time.

I signed up for and attended Neal Morse's songwriting "masterclass" today. It was well worth the $25 dollars - so much fun and a nice way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    Portnoy sure has a LOT of extra time in his hands - being the normally busy guy he is, he has caught up with Transatlantic, Flying Colors, Liquid tension Experiment and even on John Petrucci's Terminal Velocity album.
    May be his next one will be a new Winery Dogs album?

Ritchie Kotzen will be the one to decide when the next Winery Dogs album happens. Have to figure Mike and Billy are just waiting for the word since tht seems to be the only project that mainstream commercial radio had embraced.

Quote Originally Posted by julioscissors View Post
    I kinda have a soft spot for Pete's vocals because I'm a songwriter who can't sing, but has to because I don't know any good singers. God Bless the guy
    I have no problem with Pete or Mike singing on this. Comes from the heart.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    I may have come across as being very negative towards Morse. I think he's a great musician and he's written many pieces I love. His wordplay in Spock's Beard lyrics could be fantastic. Some of his subsequent lyrics are clearly influenced by a Christian view of salvation, but not in an obtrusive way: I love "Bridge Across Forever". Some of his work is not for me. Nonetheless, I do find myself curious about his positions on some issues.

Henry
    I don't mind the spirituality at all. More overt than that and it could become more of a problem for me.

Still listening to the extended version. Pete and Mike are all over it. Definitely better than the last one, but that's a pretty low bar. Nods to quite a bit of music, even their own, but still interesting. Very enjoyable. Not ready to move on to versions 2 or 3 yet. Still getting lost in Forevermore.

After hearing Forevermore 3 times and Breath of Life twice, I can say with some conviction that, beyond spending too much of my time listen to these, I will likely never pull out Breath of Life to listen to again.

At the beginning of this thread (or the last TA thread, can't remember), there were comparisons of TAU to SMPT:e and the subsequent release of The Roine Stolt Mixes. A few cynical lads like myself felt like this was essentially a marketing ploy to get people to buy both "the album" and "the demo version" at the same time. While you all can surely point me to interviews where they say this is clearly not the intention, in the end the result is the same. They understand the audience they are playing to pretty well.

Anyway, for those who have been saying that Forevermore is their preferred version, I echo that sentiment. That said, while I enjoy the more "team approach" on this album, I would still rank it above Kaleidoscope but below the other three. It is so deeply trapped inside its own formula that, in spite of it being 'epic prog', it was extremely predictable all the way through even on the first listen. While I enjoy several artists that stick with their formula, the ones that endure with me through time are the ones that are able to evolve within it to create something that is the same, but different.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    That said, while I enjoy the more "team approach" on this album, I would still rank it above Kaleidoscope but below the other three. It is so deeply trapped inside its own formula that, in spite of it being 'epic prog', it was extremely predictable all the way through even on the first listen. While I enjoy several artists that stick with their formula, the ones that endure with me through time are the ones that are able to evolve within it to create something that is the same, but different.
    This is exactly what's holding me back. I like "comfort prog", but the level of predictability is a problem.
    That being said, I'm enjoying the latest Flower Kings after having written them out for many years mainly because of the same reasons, but they've managed to somehow surprise me by releasing an album of concise songs.
    Last edited by Interstellar; 02-21-2021 at 12:00 PM.

I much prefer the newest FK over this but in all honesty I've only heard each once-ish.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I much prefer the newest FK over this but in all honesty I've only heard each once-ish.
    I fall in the category of liking the newest FK a little better, as well, but I like both versions of the TA release quite well. I listened to Breath first and really enjoyed it, but I definitely prefer Forevermore after a bit of time. I don't know how often I'll throw Breath on going forward, but I'm happy to have purchased it. Forevermore will definitely get the lions share of listens, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mstove View Post
    I fall in the category of liking the newest FK a little better, as well, but I like both versions of the TA release quite well. I listened to Breath first and really enjoyed it, but I definitely prefer Forevermore after a bit of time. I don't know how often I'll throw Breath on going forward, but I'm happy to have purchased it. Forevermore will definitely get the lions share of listens, though.
    I much prefer the Waiting For Miracles album to Islands. I find the songs much more melodic with no throwaway tracks on it like lots of their albums. The TA album (abridged version' ) hasn't grabbed me yet, certainly not the way BAF & Whirlwind did. Whether the Forever version will elevate it to those albums is yet to be heared? Need to make sure I give the abridged version a fair chance and will stick with it and give it a few more spins.