Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about Neal Peart: Geddy Lee (Rolling Stone Interview)

Thinking about Neal Peart: Geddy Lee (Rolling Stone Interview)

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...-rush-1120190/

Fascinating new interview here! I really enjoyed it. Geddy goes into great detail about how they worked together in the studio creating their songs.
    Last edited by Koreabruce; 01-30-2021 at 11:05 PM.

I would love to hear those "demos" that Geddy and Neal made - full albums of just the bass and drums done for their own private amusement!

Sorry for bumping my own thread again, but I'm a bit surprised that no one here seems to be interested in this article. It's a really detailed look at how Neal and Geddy worked together as a rhythm section, what Alex & Geddy thought of Neal's quick bicycle/motorcycle getaways after each concert, and more.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I'll definitely check it out Bruce!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

The lack of views might be because of the recent Rolling Stone article on Neil Peart's death. There was a thread about it. People might think it's a re-post, but it isn't.

This article touches on some really interesting elements of the relationship between Geddy Lee and Neil Peart. For all of their great sense of humor, some serious work went on in that band. You get the sense that the mourning period, while not nor ever really over, is at least at the point where the history of the band can be discussed. Thanks for posting, because I probably wouldn't have come across it.

But those bass and drum mixes. I know Rush don't have out-takes and unreleased demos etc. and that's fine. The bass and drum mixes would be a welcome addition to any future Rush releases. Dig 'em out, Geddy.

I read it. It was an interesting piece.
    Now an interview with Alex Lifeson.

Geddy is such an amazing down to earth guy. His interview with Dan Rahter was totally spellbinding.

This was a great interview. Geddy is actually a really interesting, smart guy. I went down a rabbit hole a couple months ago, watching some of his interviews on YouTube. Very well-spoken.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Great interview - thanks for sharing. Whenever I'm asked to play the "what famous person would you want to share a meal with" game, Geddy's name is at or near the top of the list.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Yah, I got this mixed up with the other RS article. Thanks for posting this.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    I would love to hear those "demos" that Geddy and Neal made - full albums of just the bass and drums done for their own private amusement!
    Here's a taste

Great interview with Geddy Lee about his working relationship with Neil Peart! Thanks for sharing, koreabruce.

Thank you, Bruce! That was marvelous.

These sorts of fine articles (and the earlier one in RS) are some of the few things that assuage the terrible hole that is in m since he did.

To hear of the behind-the-scenes details and procedures is a wonderful way to understand their genius more.

Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    Here's a taste

Counterparts Tour 1994

Not a lot new in the article except for the drum and bass recordings.

Of course Malignant Narcissism started out as bass and drums with Alex filling it in later.

Lengthy recent interview with Lifeson. Says he's starting to work on some projects again.

I really enjoyed that! Thanks, Bruce!

My pleasure!

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    Lengthy recent interview with Lifeson. Says he's starting to work on some projects again.
    This is pretty good. A wide range of subjects. Thanks!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Loved both the article and the Lifeson interview! Excellent stuff. Thank you!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Great article with Geddy and great interview with Lifeson. It was especially cool to see Victor getting some love!

Kudos to Andre and Make Weird Music for landing that interview. It was really good.

Quote Originally Posted by julioscissors View Post
    Great article with Geddy and great interview with Lifeson. It was especially cool to see Victor getting some love!
    Not enough love apparently. The label isn't moving forward with the vinyl reissue with a recently recorded bonus track sadly.

I would think these guys would want to work with other people whom they admired, not the people whom they worked with for the last 45 years.