Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aquaserge - Any news or updates?

Aquaserge - Any news or updates?

I am revisiting some Aquaserge albums. Right now I am listening to the debut Un &Deux ; so much better then I remembered.

I just realized their latest studio offering is already more then 4 years ago. Is there any news on these guys (and gals)? Are they still active?

^ Prolly active, considering their involvement with last year's wonderful Aksak Maboul-release.

France is presently battling more than one crisis, so there could be any number of reasons why there's no immediate news.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I am revisiting some Aquaserge albums. Right now I am listening to the debut Un &Deux ; so much better then I remembered.

I just realized their latest studio offering is already more then 4 years ago. Is there any news on these guys (and gals)? Are they still active?
    Totally agree - I have really grown to dig all of their stuff, but A L'Amitié is still my absolute favorite. I am totally in for any gnu album. The Guerre EP was great pithy little bugger.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

I was just thinking this very thing the other day! Love this band, I think it was here that I first heard of them. I'm hoping in the next year or two we are treated to some tasty new stuff.

aquaserge cds.jpg
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I was just thinking this very thing the other day! Love this band, I think it was here that I first heard of them. I'm hoping in the next year or two we are treated to some tasty new stuff.

aquaserge cds.jpg
    Man, you really need to get some Aquaserge CD's - looking sparse there.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Totally agree - I have really grown to dig all of their stuff, but A L'Amitié is still my absolute favorite. I am totally in for any gnu album. The Guerre EP was great pithy little bugger.
    I just replayed all the studio albums and I agree A l'Amitie is the best, closely followed by Laisse ca Etre. I slightly prefer Un & Deux over Ce Tres Cher Serge.
    My absolute favorite is the live album Dejas-Vous? I saw them live a couple of years back with an extended horn section and they were really really great. On the studio albums they can sometimes sound a bit 'clynical' but live it all comes alive.

I like the live album lot. It is quite short however. Kind of odd. I wouldn't think they play only 45 minute long sets?
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

There was a little update video from Sept 2020 although you'd need to speak French to know what it was about:

They've been at work on a project for a couple of years that involve them working with outside composers, of more "contemporary" leanings if I understood right. That was what Audrey told me last time I saw them perform, in late 2019. They'd had a couple of workshops going to work on the music. (Update: This seems to what what the video just above is about. Sorry.)

There were a couple of gigs planned late in 2020 that consisted of them (in their "augmented" guise, i.e. added winds) teaming up with singer Jeanne Added, another favourite of mine (worked with John Greaves, Pierre de Bethmann etc., but more recently enjoyed big mainstream success, performing to thousands of people), but I'm not sure these even took place. Sounded interesting.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

The Guerre EP was great pithy little bugger.
    I just played Guerre again. One of the best examples I know off that you can still do original and exiting things within the 3 minute song format.

According to their website, they had a live show in December (not that long ago), I wonder if that happened?

cover.jpg
    🇫🇷, 2014.
    Hidden?/forgotten essential french band.
    French lyrics, with rolled "r"s. Gorgeous obscure album from this band whose name litteraly means Aqua serge, punningly meaning what's my utility? or so.
    #1 "À l'amitié" is a covered one (radio-formatted version being #11) which "aaaah" will let most of french speaking people wondering wtf-lol.
    "À quoi sers-je", the phonetical band name, is pronounced in #2 Serge Singe. The first set of tracks is a delightful singer-led one, and the whole instrumental playing / whistling / arrangement is an astounding pleasant ensemble which sound arrangement will remind those from the 70s.

http://castthedice.org/?p=17590&fbcl...LKEhMHYQeabIn0

New album on the way. Viddy in link. Sometimes Facebook is good for something. Sometimes.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Viddy (now that I'm on a computer and not an tablet):

I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

^^^^^^^

I thought that they were on a steady incline towards greater and greater things (I have followed them since their first EP), culminating in the incredible L’Amitie, which was THE album of the year for me.

I still like their work and own it all, but everything post L’Amitie has been a little bit of a letdown for me.

This feels / sounds really strong and I am hopeful again!!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Named after a Morton Feldman piece, The Possibility of a New Work for Aquaserge is also the title of a music theatre show, which they will perform in contemporary music festivals across Europe, including Art Musica in Brussels and Aujourd’hui Musiques in Perpignan.
    I'll try to catch that, as it's sunday 27/11 (except that it's ARS Musica).

https://www.arsmusica.be/fr/events/aquaserge-eon/
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Great cover. The original is even obscure by Varese standards, but here it is if you've never heard it. Brilliant choice too!

^^^^^

It sounded slightly familiar, which I dismissed as another senior moment; but now I know! Thanks for the I.D.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    ^^^^^

It sounded slightly familiar, which I dismissed as another senior moment; but now I know! Thanks for the I.D.

I had no idea this piece existed until I got the Chailly/Royal Concertgebouw Complete Varese set. I thought I knew all of EV's music (of which there is not a lot), but there it was. I definitely prefer the piano/voice version over the orchestral version, but that is kewl too.

Do we know if this is an album of covers or is the remainder all original? BTW Steve, I bought L'Amitie completely on your praise for it back then, and it is still one of the better avant-ish prog albums of the past whatever number of years for me, just an absolutely beautiful album that can challenge and yet can be quite accessible at the same time. So cheers!

^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks for the nice words!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Do we know if this is an album of covers or is the remainder all original?
    The BC page for the Varese track has this to say:

As for Aquaserge’s new album, it’s a very special project in which the band set themselves quite a challenge: drawing inspiration from four major, atypical figures in contemporary classical music from the mid-20th century (Ligeti, Scelsi, Varèse and Morton Feldman), in order to write & record an album which joyfully blurs boundaries between rock and what used to be called ‘serious music’.

Entitled The Possibility of a New Work for Aquaserge (the title is inspired by that of a Morton Feldman piece), the album will be released on October 15, as part of Made To Measure, Crammed Discs’ celebrated composers’ series, which is being reactivated in 2021 after a long slumber.

I’m quite excited for it. Considering the phrasing “write and record” I wonder if there is going to be something more than just covers. Then again the process of adapting / arranging some of this music could fairly be considered writing.
    Last edited by Mascodagama; 09-11-2021 at 09:24 AM.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

anything with Ligeti and Varese - yup. I'm there.
    Artist formerly known as Phlakaton

Damn. I really wanna get this from Bandcamp, but shipping to the UK costs more than the CD. Joy of Brexit I guess. Buying it from Amazon UK almost halves the cost.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Damn. I really wanna get this from Bandcamp, but shipping to the UK costs more than the CD. Joy of Brexit I guess. Buying it from Amazon UK almost halves the cost.
    I sent them a message on their fb page see if there's any other way to get it