Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: Elder - Omens

FEATURED ALBUM: Elder - Omens

In continuing the series of highlighting some albums from 2020, next on the list is the newest album from Elder entitled “Omens”. Personally speaking, while I have been a fan of the band before this release, Omens has stuck with me the most.

Review from Post Trash
    http://post-trash.com/news/2020/6/16...s-album-review

When a band is around for more than a decade, it’s natural for their style to alter and evolve to keep things fresh, but sometimes it can completely change the feel of a band. Such is the case with Boston metal/prog-rockers Elder, who recently released their fourth full-length, Omens, via Armageddon Label. The album shows a huge yet gradual transformation in the band’s sound that now leans more toward monumental prog-rock than it’s metal predecessors.

Their 2008 self-titled debut was straight stoner/doom metal, and they continued that sound onto their second release, Dead Roots Stirring. Then something happened on their third album, Lore. The band began to combine it’s crushingly heavy doom parts with catchy melodies, harmonies, and noodling guitars, and the sound changed entirely. Yet with Omens, the band has continued to morph their sound in new ways. The album is a masterclass in versatility, diversity and endurance -- the shortest track is over nine minutes long. However, it doesn’t stand out as an outlier in Elder’s catalog. It’s simply a step in a new direction.

Leaving behind metal elements that were no longer necessary, Elder have entered a new realm -- one with more psychedelic synthesizers and locked-in grooves -- while retaining the melodic yet high-powered vocals that vocalist/guitarist Nick DiSalvo has been tweaking and perfecting since their self-titled came out. Sonically, the music is just as powerful, it’s simply more refined and focused on Omens. DiSalvo also upped the use of keyboards on this album, which adds an experimental vibe to many songs including “Omens,” “Halcyon,” and “Embers.”

The use of the keyboard on this album adds a fresh, fun layer to the mix, but one of the best things Elder often does is this harmonic solo that offers an intensely chill and cool feel. The guitar harmony has a light, airy feeling, while the rhythm section’s solid groove keeps the song grounded and moving. A great example of this is the eight-minute-mark in “In Procession.” This isn’t an element limited to Elder’s music, but it’s something the band does well and that fans of the band know and love, and it’s amazing that they’ve been able to carry it over into this proggy style of music without making it sound out of place.

That’s what’s really impressive about this entire album: how the band has managed to keep their core sound while simultaneously changing it up. It pushes the musicians (and listeners) to new limits while offering up something lively, different, and fun. The music is still wholly recognizable as Elder -- killer guitar solos, intense emotional passages and driving drums that never miss a beat -- but the sound is more mature, polished. This is no easy feat to pull off, and not many bands can do it with such fluidity. Elder has, and for a band with so much potential and talent, it simply seems like a natural next step in their musical journey.

Last edited by Poisoned Youth; 12-24-2020 at 04:59 PM.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

A good one, love it !

Cheers!
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Was completely unfamiliar with these guys. Listened to the 2 embeds, and I'm likely to buy. Good stuff.

One of the most substantially daring modern heavy rock bands. A fan since their debut.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

In my top 10 of 2020 for sure. Lots of great riffs and grooves and long exploratory tracks. An increased use of keys, has upped the psychedelic/proggy quotient of their music. This one, and the previous release, Reflections of a Floating World, are both excellent.

neil

Fantastic blend of stoner, prog, psych and metal. All of their albums are must-haves.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

A great band that keeps growing with every release. I love their dramatic, multiple guitars assault - and with keyboards added in the last two albums, it makes for heavy music of epic proportions.

A truly mammoth release! Top five for me without a doubt.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I’ve spent a bit of time listening to this album wondering what it might sound like live.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

How did these guys manage to escape my radar for so long?? wall.gif

Listening to these guys on their bandcamp (apparently all of their albums are available for a listen).

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    How did these guys manage to escape my radar for so long?? wall.gif

Listening to these guys on their bandcamp (apparently all of their albums are available for a listen).
    No CD! Only multiple, different-colored vinyl options. Fuck that shit! But I'm intrigued - I'll give this a listen ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    No CD! Only multiple, different-colored vinyl options. Fuck that shit! But I'm intrigued - I'll give this a listen ASAP.
    Jed, CDs are available direct from the US label on Discogs for $10 plus tax & shipping.

I like it. Don't love it.

But like it.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I've been a major fan of this band since 'Dead Roots Stirring'. But 'Lore' was jaw dropping for me and I've pretty much loved everything since. (yes, even the 4 long song one that was more stoner/psych) This latest one took a little bit to warm up to as the vocals seemed a bit 'off', but the musical passages here just blew me away. Now I can't imagine vocals any other way. Awesome band that seems to want to continue exploring different musical avenues
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I like it. Don't love it.

But like it.
    It's more than one could ask

I like it! I'm getting a little bit of an Anekdoten vibe from the tune "Embers". Nice sounding recording.
    Last edited by Guitarplyrjvb; 12-27-2020 at 10:02 AM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Jed, CDs are available direct from the US label on Discogs for $10 plus tax & shipping.
    Thanks - ordered! I listened to it on Spotify last night - excellent! I can't wait to listen to it again, a good sign indeed.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 12-26-2020 at 11:21 PM.

Excellent release. Probably my favorite of theirs but one wishes for a bit more sonic diversity???
    The Prog Corner