Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IQ....Tales From a Dark Christmas

IQ....Tales From a Dark Christmas

Got this in 2017 directly from their site. This is one of my favorite Christmas albums. Especially “The Dark Christmas Suite “! 20 minutes of pure IQ bliss!!! Anyone here own this? Excellent album!!!
    So much music....so little time....

I got it back then, too. Excellent stuff!

Yep, I hopped on and grabbed one of the leftover CD copies at that time as well. I believe it was the January after the Christmas gig where it was handed out. I love it, it gets a spin every Christmas now!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Yes, a great one !
    I love Let it Snow, such a fine atmosphere on that one and an unusual guitar sound for them.

Love it. A great addition to a rather thin Prog Christmas collection.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Tarja Turunen's Scores From A Dark Christmas is still my favourite. Check it out!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Tales from a Dark Christmas is my favorite Christmas CD. It's just so good. I also enjoy Tarja's album although I would argue Amazing Grace and Feliz Navidad are odd choices thematically. She sings them beautifully though.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquatarkus View Post
    Tales from a Dark Christmas is my favorite Christmas CD. It's just so good. I also enjoy Tarja's album although I would argue Amazing Grace and Feliz Navidad are odd choices thematically. She sings them beautifully though.
    Actually, that's a good point as I do skip those two tracks (I would always skip Amazing Grace regardless of who sang it). But she really nails a vibe on stuff like O Come, O Come, Emmanuel, What Child Is This, We Three Kings, and even manages to do a spooky rendition of Deck The Halls.

IQ made me discover Slade!
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I'm very glad I've been able to get my hands on this CD as well, as most of their "special" CD releases are insanely hard to come by nowadays, especially the two volumes of Frequency Tour CDs....
    "The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic

I snagged one of the last remaining copies back in 2017. Gets multiple spins from December into January each year. 🎄🎅

Damn. Has it been that long? I managed to get a copy as well but I haven't listened to it yet! This will be the year... I promise!

Delicious Agony Radio is playing cuts from it right now (Christmas Eve)🎅🎄

Listening and enjoying my copy as we speak. Good, festive stuff!

Wow! Can't believe it's 3 years since I bought this. I must admit I think it's so good I don't just play it at Christmas!

First the bad ... totally missed this release. By the time found out about it was too late, nowhere to be found .... especially in the US. Have the FLAC files but it is not the same. Let me know if someone has a spare copy.

And then the good ... it seems a release of a box with archives recordings is planned for the end of this year (21), or beginning of the next (22), and is to include the Tales ...
    Most probably have most of the Archives already, but if the Tales will be there it will be an automatic buy.
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

It’s time again to play one of the best progressive rock Christmas releases!!! Just LOVE this!
    So much music....so little time....

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flatliner View Post
    It’s time again to play one of the best progressive rock Christmas releases!!! Just LOVE this!
    Listened to it a few nights ago (for just the second or third listen) and really enjoyed it. I'd put it up there with Tull's Christmas album for best prog Christmas album.

Was this included in the big archive release?

I know the CD is sold out - is it available as s download anywhere?

Yes, disc 11 is Dark Christmas in the archive collection.
    I have to say, that archive release is worth its weight in Quatloos!
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

I probably know this album better than any other IQ release - for 3 years it was in near constant rotation at my store during December; I never got sick of it. --Peter

Sorry about this lame request but, since I'm not sure I feel like acquiring the whole Archive set, what's the (legit) way to get the Tales From a Dark Christmas CD?

Some charitable souls have put it on YouTube but, as IQ is also great for their sound, I would rather savour/savor this album in CD or Flac format.

Thanks!

Hervé

^ I would say Discogs or Ebay, but I checked, and there's none for sale there at the moment.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I'll go to YT and give this a listen. Might be the first time in a while I've listened to an IQ album where someone isn't a murderer, evading murder or capture, being stalked or may have been inappropriately touched in the past.