Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Helmet of Gnats ~ Travelogue 2020

This is great news - thanks for the update.

Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    This is great news - thanks for the update.
    You're welcome!

I'm just sorry it took so long
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Threw this on as my album to wake up to this Saturday morning. Wow, some very ELP-sounding moments on the last track, early on! Hadn't listened to this in a while, it's a very good listen. And I still get a chuckle from the pun in the first track and its title.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Threw this on as my album to wake up to this Saturday morning. Wow, some very ELP-sounding moments on the last track, early on! Hadn't listened to this in a while, it's a very good listen. And I still get a chuckle from the pun in the first track and its title.
    Thx Dr, I think you're the only one who got the pun. Lol

Btw, moving forward, the Gnats will be releasing single songs from now on. I think our CD days are in the past now

Snatched this one up when it landed on Bandcamp. Nice stuff, Chris! I think yas topped High Street here and I like that one very much. Lookin' forward to diggin' in some more
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Snatched this one up when it landed on Bandcamp. Nice stuff, Chris! I think yas topped High Street here and I like that one very much. Lookin' forward to diggin' in some more
    Thx Scott

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Thx Dr, I think you're the only one who got the pun. Lol

Btw, moving forward, the Gnats will be releasing single songs from now on. I think our CD days are in the past now
    That would be sad, but if producing CDs isn't financially doable, bring on the single songs!

Actually, I'd still buy albums in digital download format, I'm no longer one who requires physical CDs. Maybe you can still record albums and just release them as downloads. My worry with single songs is that I'd listen to them once and that would be it.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 02-20-2022 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    That would be sad, but if producing CDs isn't financially doable, bring on the single songs! My worry with single songs is that I'd listen to them once and that would be it.
    Even if you love the song?!

One spin and done?

One spin and done?
    Really dig Travelogue and thanks Dr. Z for the reminder to give it another spin. And thanks to you and the band Chris, for the awesome music.

I'm afraid that I have to agree that single songs aren't of too much interest to me. I'd likely wait until you have enough single songs to make an album and then put them together, or I'd just add the track to Travelogue and make a CD-R. Single songs are not uncommon these days, but I still need the immersive album experience. As an example for me, Infinien just released a single song, and it's great, but...after one or two listens on my computer, now what? I don't jog to an ipod playlist or anything like that. Downloads are no issue for me however, so I don't require physical product either.

Neil
    Last edited by boilk; 02-20-2022 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Really dig Travelogue and thanks Dr. Z for the reminder to give it another spin. And thanks to you and the band Chris, for the awesome music.

I'm afraid that I have to agree that single songs aren't of too much interest to me. I'd likely wait until you have enough single songs to make an album and then put them together, or I'd just add the track to Travelogue and make a CD-R.
    Neil
    Thx Neil, for the praise and insights.

A couple or reasons for releasing songs one at a time:

A) Writing , arranging and recording 7 or 8 songs for an album takes us forever ( as everyone around here already knows).
    By the time we get to the last song , we've already forgot how to play the first two!
    So, since we rehearse in a recording studio, we agreed that we'll capture the songs one at a time while they're fresh!

B) I've also noticed on our Bandcamp page, that there are people buying single songs from our four releases, which is telling of another landscape for getting our tunes out there.

Single songs are great! I just drop them in a yearly playlist by genre and spin the whole thing on random. I do a lot of woodwork so the playlist never gets stale or boring. If the tune really has legs, I’ll add it to another “best of” playlist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thx Neil, for the praise and insights.

A couple or reasons for releasing songs one at a time:

A) Writing , arranging and recording 7 or 8 songs for an album takes us forever ( as everyone around here already knows).
    By the time we get to the last song , we've already forgot how to play the first two!
    So, since we rehearse in a recording studio, we agreed that we'll capture the songs one at a time while they're fresh!

B) I've also noticed on our Bandcamp page, that there are people buying single songs from our four releases, which is telling of another landscape for getting our tunes out there.
    Hey, all fair points, and I'm sure a lot of people would like single songs. I can totally relate to what you are saying about making albums, by the way. A band I'm in are finally in the mixing stages of our first full-length album and although the songs will be new to anyone who cares to listen, we've had them around for years, lol. Our second album is already written, so I want to get on to that, ha.

Any Gnats is better than no Gnats, I say.

Neil

One spin and done?
    Judging by my past usage, this is the case. I’ve also never bought single-song downloads that are from an album, and have only bought a few songs that were released as standalone singles.

Chris I listened to the first three tunes of Travelogue last night on headphones with a very nice buzz on, and was pretty blown away! Your guitar tone(s) alone are so fuckin killer man. I can hear the slight reverb (tube amp?) and the mix with the keys sounds so good. The entire recording is just great. I'll continue the journey tonight. Its an absolute killer recording man.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Chris I listened to the first three tunes of Travelogue last night on headphones with a very nice buzz on, and was pretty blown away! Your guitar tone(s) alone are so fuckin killer man. I can hear the slight reverb (tube amp?) and the mix with the keys sounds so good. The entire recording is just great. I'll continue the journey tonight. Its an absolute killer recording man.
    Thanks Frankie, and yes , a tube amp with an analog Memory Man delay pedal in the effects loop played with a Strat and Les Paul, Also a room mic for ambience, that's it.

Hello Gnat fans!

All four HoG albums are now available for streaming on every platform:
    Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon music, Tidal, Napster, Youtube,etc.

Downloads from Bandcamp https://helmetofgnats1.bandcamp.com/album/travelogue-3 CDs from Ambient records https://www.ambientrecords.com/record

https://open.spotify.com/artist/0uTs...Q_ej9JTU7AkHHw

Hey everybody, check out our new single Nathan Deacons Other Brain over on Bandcamp! This is a newer expansive arrangement of Nathan Deacons Brain which appeared on our 1996 release A Helmet of Gnats.
    The songs title came from a 1986 article in the outrageous newspaper tabloid The Weekly World News.

https://helmetofgnats1.bandcamp.com/...ns-other-brain

Bump for the night crew

Hey everybody, check out our new single Nathan Deacons Other Brain over on Bandcamp!
    Cool tune, which I haven't heard before because I don't have the first album. Thanks! Those first three 10-12 minute tunes from High Street is some of my favorite HOG music. Really great compositions and arrangements I can listen to over and over.

Thanks Reid, I hope you enjoy NDOB also!

^ Gave it a listen. I'm not a Fusion guy, but I enjoyed it. Well done.

Hey everybody, check out our new single Nathan Deacons Other Brain over on Bandcamp! This is a newer expansive arrangement of Nathan Deacons Brain which appeared on our 1996 release A Helmet of Gnats.
    The songs title came from a 1986 article in the outrageous newspaper tabloid The Weekly World News.

https://helmetofgnats1.bandcamp.com/...ns-other-brain

Excellent as always- love it.

Thanks Ralph!

one more bump

It's my band!
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...