Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The History Of Yacht Rock

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    The Windsong album by Denver is totally Yacht. This song is beautiful Yacht

This album, and especially Calypso, are EXACTLY what I was thinking of! I had the cassette of the album, which came in a little cardboard box, with plastic plugs that fit into both holes to keep the tape from sliding around or something!

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Why should Chris De Burgh be yacht rock?
    Because of this hit single. Sax solo by Gary Barnacle. BARNACLE! (Nobody said it couldn't be a shitty yacht!)

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    John Denver is country, I think.
    Have you listened to his album "Windsong?"

That's Yuck rock for CDB, AFAIAC (at least that song, but plenty of others as well)

For Al Stewart, YotC does sound like pontoon rock indeed (that made me laugh out loud, thx ), despite the flamenco feel, so let's call Galleon rock.

Last edited by Trane; 11-20-2020 at 03:43 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Banned
    To each his or her own, but I love this Renaissance Rock number:

I was pleasantly surprised by how strong some of De Burgh's 70s stuff was. 'Spanish Train', 'Lonely Sky', 'I'm Going Home', 'Flying' (or 'Turning Round'), 'Just Another Poor Boy' etc. are really good songs. I even like some of the 80s ones too like 'Don't Pay The Ferryman' and 'Ship To Shore'. Obviously 'Lady In Red' is appalling, though. If ever there was an example of one song tarnishing a musical reputation completely, it's that. And it has so many of the worst 80s production/arrangement tropes as well.

Benny Mardones. ...Into The Night.

Creepy

Why? What's it about?.....

Iirc, "Merlin's Time" is not about the Arthurian Merlin, which I found quite surprising.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I was pleasantly surprised by how strong some of De Burgh's 70s stuff was. 'Spanish Train', 'Lonely Sky', 'I'm Going Home', 'Flying' (or 'Turning Round'), 'Just Another Poor Boy' etc. are really good songs. I even like some of the 80s ones too like 'Don't Pay The Ferryman' and 'Ship To Shore'. Obviously 'Lady In Red' is appalling, though. If ever there was an example of one song tarnishing a musical reputation completely, it's that. And it has so many of the worst 80s production/arrangement tropes as well.
    And, definitely "A Spaceman Came Travelling" from the Spanish Train album was outstanding. Eela Craig's version was great too.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Why? What's it about?.....
    Statutory rape

Your post had me wondering, so I checked out his discography on RYM, and I realize I don't really know about the man's career - I didn't even know he was Irish... or European, FTM.
    I'd seen countless times albums in the racks (Spanish Train, Crusader, Eastern Wind), but that was in the mid-80's, once I became aware of him - which was around the Lady In Red times. So, since I hated the track and the movie (a really bad adaptation of a great French comedy Un Elephant, Cela Trompe Enormément), I assumed the rest was in the same line and never paid close attention, and all I knew was whatever I heard on the radio. I had no idea he started so early on, so I guessed that whatever I saw in the bins was 80's stuff - not sure I ever saw his debut album in record stores or in library systems.

To each his or her own, but I love this Renaissance Rock number:
    Don't get me wrong, (don't know if you were answering me or a general sttement), but I kind of like a few Al Stewart albums, but they're before Cat

For decades, I assumed that Cat was his first album (when I first heard of him) and thought it was unworthy (since I didn't care for it - I even thought On The Border was an Eagles track) to explore further. But the period I like is from Orange (72) through Modern Times (75), where his folk rock had proggy tinges.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I'd have said earlier De Burgh was like Al Stewart, in that they are singer-songwriters I could see 'prog' fans being into. Neither is 'yacht rock' though.

I guess you can maybe trace the 'yacht' sound back to acts like Bread, Seals And Crofts, America etc. A smoother approach to the sound of acts like CSN/Y, with less connection to counter-culture values.

Andrew Gold, maybe he could be deemed part of it?

Yes, he has quite some good stuff, I think. Lady in red is perhaps an exeption, perhaps just like Stevie Wonder's I just called to say I love you.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Statutory rape
    I know, hence ....

I usually don't pay attention to lyrics. It's still pure Yacht.

After reading more about Yacht rock, there seems to be a clique of people that defined it and if your song is on their playlist it’s Yacht rock. I certainly understand the production sheen and the lyrical theme requirements, and I think Kokomo meets that smooth aesthetic more than any other Beach Boy song, but it was 88 and not in the clique lists.
    Dennis Wilson's solo album might have been more Yacht than any Beach Boys songs.

Banned
    Air Supply; the Kings of Yacht Rock!

^^^ naah, I think including Air Supply would be an insult to yacht rock. YR from my perspective typically had some musical cleverness in the arrangements, a little show of virtuosity here and there, and also something surprising or clever in the lyrical content. AS had none of those... Perfectly OK soft rock with trite romantic sentiment, but YR it is not. IMHO of course....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    ^^^ naah, I think including Air Supply would be an insult to yacht rock. YR from my perspective typically had some musical cleverness in the arrangements, a little show of virtuosity here and there, and also something surprising or clever in the lyrical content. AS had none of those... Perfectly OK soft rock with trite romantic sentiment, but YR it is not. IMHO of course....
    Alright, I see your point. Soft Rock fits their schtick more appropriately.

I remember jokes about Air Supply back in the day. "Someone should cut off their air supply" "They're getting a lot of play in hospitals now - usually to induce vomiting"
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Banned
    I was listening to the local eclectic NPR station Dj and she said it’s time to put some funk on the yacht. She plays this:

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    Alright, I see your point. Soft Rock fits their schtick more appropriately.
    Soft Rock = Yacht Rock.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Soft Rock = Yacht Rock.
    Not buying that... As per my post 93. There's a lot of shlocky soft rock that wouldn't cut it as Yacht Rock. Air supply is a perfect example. Even soft rock that can be very good, such as the Carpenters. Still doesn't have the Yacht Rock DNA.

Not buying that... As per my post 93. There's a lot of shlocky soft rock that wouldn't cut it as Yacht Rock. Air supply is a perfect example. Even soft rock that can be very good, such as the Carpenters. Still doesn't have the Yacht Rock DNA.
    Everywhere (apart from PE) that I've seen the term used, it's been a revisionist term for 70s Soft Rock, coined by people who weren't alive when it was actually taking place. I suspect that Air Supply would very much be "Yacht Rock."

I don't really care beyond my general distaste for revisionism, as I'm not much of a fan of Soft Rock. A little goes a long way, but I do have some.

As a revisionist term, I don't find it near as annoying as the revisionist usage of Psyche as a shortened form of Psychedelic.

And just where is this "Yacht Rock DNA" explained/expounded upon?
    Last edited by moecurlythanu; 11-22-2020 at 10:20 PM.

I'd have said earlier De Burgh was like Al Stewart, in that they are singer-songwriters I could see 'prog' fans being into. Neither is 'yacht rock' though.
    I can definitely see your point (and both being Gaellic >> one is Irish, the other is a Scot) and agree somewhat
    I tend to think of YR as strictly Unitedstatian, but I'd have a hard time not including in America (an English Trio)
    Yeah, power of association and both s/s could fit in YR in their later stuff, but definitely out there in its fringes.

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    Air Supply; the Kings of Yacht Rock!
    Well, the revisionism of Yacht Rock term is already insulting in itself, but yeah, AS would be lower instincts YR

Soft Rock = Yacht Rock.
    close enough, IMHO. You could add a "~" above the "="

Everywhere (apart from PE) that I've seen the term used, it's been a revisionist term for 70s Soft Rock, coined by people who weren't alive when it was actually taking place. I suspect that Air Supply would very much be "Yacht Rock."

I don't really care beyond my general distaste for revisionism, as I'm not much of a fan of Soft Rock. A little goes a long way, but I do have some.
    And just where is this "Yacht Rock DNA" explained/expounded upon?
    absolutely, never was a soft rock fan (actually, thinking about it, in retrospect, my ears were a victim of that schlock) and I'm more midly amused that it's been rechristened as Yacht Rock and certainly don't see YR as a compliment and certainly not any better than SR.