Page 48 of 148 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051525898 ... LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 3681

Thread: JAZZ Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Nice releases TCC.
    Thanks Hippypants and Walt!

Highest recommendations with all the Troyka`s albums too: great musics!.

Another excellent clip:

Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

A little Marc Ribot
    The Take Five cover from the 6-mins mark until 17-mins is amazing

and the next track is equally impressive.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I was listening to an iTunes "Genius Mix" (genre specific shuffle play) the other night and this track came up; I forgot how much I like it. "In a Mist" is a Bix Beiderbecke tune written in 1927 that was clearly ahead of it's time. Freddie Hubbard's version (arranged by Don Sebesky) goes through as many changes as a prog song... but of course, it's not. The rhythm section is Billy Cobham, Ron Carter and Keith Jarrett.

^^^
    I've got that CD around here somwhere. Haven't played it in ages, but I remember the beautiful opening track with the Airto vocal intro.

Yeah, I've got that Freddie Hubbard album and Red Clay on vinyl. Both are nice ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    ^^^
    I've got that CD around here somwhere. Haven't played it in ages, but I remember the beautiful opening track with the Airto vocal intro.
    Right, "Povo." The title track is a really nice Hubbard composition too. George Benson is on a few tracks.

Yeah, I've got that Freddie Hubbard album and Red Clay on vinyl.
    Same here; restocked on CD. I like "Red Clay" even better. They're among the best of the CTI label.

Here's another one I listened to today, and really enjoyed it. Sort of mixture of jazz, prog, and noise, but pretty interesting. It's on Thrill Jockey. http://www.amazon.com/Praise-Shadows.../dp/B000DNVTFO

http://www.popmatters.com/feature/th...zz-of-2015/P0/

A pretty cool list, and the argument that the much-discussed "death of the music business" is a godsend for creative releases rings true, to a great degree, for me.

Of course, small labels have always been around...it just seems they're taking more of "center stage" these days. A good thing!

^^Nice list^^

Here's one I ran across from 2014. http://www.freejazzblog.org/2014/12/...year-2014.html

^^^^ A lot of hip shit there. Lehman is deserving, sure enough, and it's nice to see Jameel Moondoc getting some love; The Zookeeper's House is indeed worthy. FJC is a hip site!
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Any list of noteworthy jazz releases of 2015 should include re-issues and archival sessions.2015 spawned several hip (long awaited/never on cd) re-issues/archival releases from the John Carter/Bobby Bradford Quintet-Self Determination Music;John Carter-Bobby Bradford Quintet-No U-Turn: and the John Carter Trio-Echoes From Rudolph's.

Highly recommended;all of 'em.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    I intended to gradually make my way through all of the samples, but that Antonio Sanchez was so interesting that I'm listening to that album on Apple Music now; nice!

Not a fan of free jazz, though I was in my late teens. I like to hear elements of it in more structured jazz and I like modal jazz, but became disillusioned with the free thing early on.

Listening to this box over the weekend. I'm on the second album. Welcome is the first Wheeler quartet album without a pianist that I've heard, and I don't miss the piano at all. This is a great sounding quartet!

Been in a real free jazz mood lately and it's been the majority of what I've been listening too. I thought I'd post this YT video from this guy who has a knack for describing the music pretty well. I had not heard of most of these recordings, but they all look interesting. He lives up in Chicago so probably has access to a lot of better record stores up there. At any rate, do you have any particular favorite free jazz albums? I have both of those ECM albums: the early Music Improvisation Company and the Circle Paris Concert with Braxton and crew. Both are pretty great.

^^^^^^^

Dude has big ears.I had many of these albums on LP years ago.The only cd's i have(from the albums shown) are the Rashied Ali-Frank Lowe-Duo Exchange and the Johnny Dyani-John Tchicai-Witchdoctor's Son;both well worth having.The Sirone cd looks interesting.It would be cool if the Unheard Music folks put out Sirone's album "Artistry".That's a record that merits reissue,imo.
    Last edited by walt; 12-18-2015 at 03:36 AM.

Big shoulders too, Walt, I'd guess.

"Hog butcher for the world,
    Tool maker, stacker of wheat,
    Player with railroads and the nation's freight handler;
    Stormy, husky, brawling,
    City of the big shoulders." Carl Sandburg

I've not heard the Duo Exchange album or most of them he mentions. I saw where the Duo Exchange was rather pricey on Amazon. You can listen to some John Tchicai clips Youtube as well as the Sirone Artistry album.

I ran across this concert with Jemeel Moondoc the other night. The audio is so so and doesn't get going for a few minutes. That first cut/song is rather intense, but they change course after a while:

Here's one the same guy does on Meditative music. I wondered what he enjoyed as far as meditative jazz picks, like McLaughlin's My Goals Beyond, etc. Maybe he has done one, but I haven't ran into it yet. The albums he spot lights tend to be solo reflective type works, and not necessarily jazz.

Here's one that's about the Emanem label, which I was unaware of:

^^^^^^

Years ago i had more than a few albums on Emanem,but i've culled my collection down to just a handful;the Steve Lacy-Weal and Woe and the Anthony Braxton-Derek Bailey Duo cds are the only ones i have from those the guy showed.I'll spin the solo Lacy tracks from Weal and Woe every once in a great while;same with the Braxton/Bailey.They're both keepers.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post

Listening to this box over the weekend. I'm on the second album. Welcome is the first Wheeler quartet album without a pianist that I've heard, and I don't miss the piano at all. This is a great sounding quartet!
    This box really is a misrepresentation though, as good as the albums are. Only Flutter By and All the More were bonafide Wheeler records; the others were albums where he guested with others, including one featuring (a good Prog reference here though the album ain't) one by saxophonist Claudio Fasoli, he of Perigeo.

The three non-Wheeler albums are very good; the two Wheeler albums are tremendous.

As for not playing with a pianist? Maybe the first you've heard but not the first he's recorded:

1. Deer Wan, Around 6, Angel Song and his swan song, Songs for Quintet, all on ECM, have no pianist.
    2. It Takes Two (with two guitarists)!, on CAM Jazz, also has no pianist
    3. Dream Sequence, on Psi, ditto

Cheers!
    John

Deer Wan is a pretty nice album.

Evan Parker's The 11th Hour (2005) on ECM is a pretty good album that I've listened to lately. It starts out pretty quiet, electro-acoustic-like, almost nature influenced, by the second cut though gets a little crazier into free form, jazz or avant-garde. Overall though a pretty nice album though.

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    ^^^^^^^

Dude has big ears.I had many of these albums on LP years ago.The only cd's i have(from the albums shown) are the Rashied Ali-Frank Lowe-Duo Exchange and the Johnny Dyani-John Tchicai-Witchdoctor's Son;both well worth having.The Sirone cd looks interesting.It would be cool if the Unheard Music folks put out Sirone's album "Artistry".That's a record that merits reissue,imo.
    Awesome - Definitely check out Witchdoctor's Son on Steeplechase - great stuff! I have Bradford's Self Determination Music on order (merry christmas to me!) -mthanks for the reminder.

A Decent Into the Maelstrom is a good title for this one--sort of enters a high fueled jazz/prog zone. So it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but if you go the download route on Amazon, it's a cheap deal: http://www.amazon.com/Descent-Maelst...ywords=albatre

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart