Page 58 of 148 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268108 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,450 of 3684

Thread: JAZZ Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Slava is a good guy and doing a good job, though not exhaustive

http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/for...lbums-for-2016
    Thanks for the links guys. I'm familiar with Organissimo, but only check periodically as the forum moves too slow for me.

I didn't know NYC Jazz Record at all. Very cool.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    Friends,
    I´m looking for "In Stockholm with Coltrane/Stitt 1960 (4CD)": have to have it ! :-)
    What do you think about it?, definitely worth get it IMO!.
    I owned this at one point. It's definitely decent, if not "too much of a good thing". I prefer something like the Coltrane Village Vanguard box over this if I am going to immerse myself into that much material.

Can you find it on eBay? That's where I got mine years back. I sold it because I got good money back for it. It is a "grey area" issue as there is no legitimate issue of this material to my knowledge. Since those Miles bootleg series came out, maybe they will do this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Thanks for the links guys. I'm familiar with Organissimo, but only check periodically as the forum moves too slow for me.

I didn't know NYC Jazz Record at all. Very cool.
    I value Organissimo for its heads ups on new releases and reissues.Not to sound too macabre,but there are always very thoughtful and erudite RIP posts for jazz musicians.There is usually a civil and friendly tone to the discussions.Very few sarcastic, cutting, mean spirited posts.Quite refreshing.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Anybody into the Mingus Big Band? I've been listening to four of their CDs including Tonight At Noon, Live In Time, Live In Tokyo, and Live At The Jazz Standard. Tonight At Noon has a good, punchy horn sound, and great soloists.

I owned this at one point. It's definitely decent, if not "too much of a good thing". I prefer something like the Coltrane Village Vanguard box over this if I am going to immerse myself into that much material.

Can you find it on eBay? That's where I got mine years back. I sold it because I got good money back for it. It is a "grey area" issue as there is no legitimate issue of this material to my knowledge. Since those Miles bootleg series came out, maybe they will do this one.
    what about the double LPs released by Dragon Records in 1985 (Davis & Coltrane DRLP 90/91) - 1986 (Davis & Stitt DRLP 129/130) and the 1992 4 disc set (Dragon DRCD 228/1-4) which is the one I believe TCC is asking about. I have the 4 disc set which Dragon says was transferred from the original Sveriges Radio broadcast tapes. were the Japanese vinyl releases from DWI/Disc Union just licensed from Dragon for distribution? I know there were some others and I'm only asking since you said there were no legitimate issues to your knowledge. I'm not foolish enough to doubt you guys, I just thought the Dragon releases were legit.
    i.ain't.dead.irock

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Anybody into the Mingus Big Band? I've been listening to four of their CDs including Tonight At Noon, Live In Time, Live In Tokyo, and Live At The Jazz Standard. Tonight At Noon has a good, punchy horn sound, and great soloists.

Haven't listened in a while, but saw them a few times back in the '80's in NYC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Quote Originally Posted by proggosaurus View Post
    I'm not foolish enough to doubt you guys, I just thought the Dragon releases were legit.
    Oh, feel free to question. I don't know this label stuff here as much as a few do. My understanding is that the release does not have the endorsement of Columbia/artists/copyright holders. This is why I referred to it as "grey area" as there are a lot of jazz live recordings from this time on labels like this. But it appears I have it wrong!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Records
    Last edited by Poisoned Youth; 07-08-2016 at 06:19 PM.

I taped some of that Miles CD off the radio about 20 years ago including the interview with Coltrane. I never wanted to fork over the 45 bucks for the set, so I haven't bought a copy. Recently I listened to Monterey 1963 w/ George Coleman, and I think this is a great performance.

What are some good Sun Ra albums to get?

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post

I dig the 60s/early 70s stuff, such as:

Angels and Demons at Play
    Cosmic Tones for Mental Therapy
    When Angels Speak of Love
    The Heliocentric Worlds of Sun Ra
    The Magic City
    Monorails and Satellites
    Atlantis
    Solar Myth Approach, Vols 1+2
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Thanks PY for the H.U.: I´ll try EBay and/or Amazon.

Proggosaurus wrote:
    "4 disc set (Dragon DRCD 228/1-4) which is the one I believe TCC is asking about..."

Exactly, that´s the one!.

Pura Vida!.
    Last edited by TCC; 07-08-2016 at 11:27 PM.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Mogrooves--okay, thanks. I check some of those out.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Well, saw last night Kamasi Washington and Ibrahim Maalouf in the final doubeheader of Gent's jazz Festival's opening day

Kamasi & co were roughly disappointing (I stll loved it, but expected somehow more)... Their concert is a little too much like The Epic, raking fairly wide (well this is wide-raking festival audience) and not giving enough space to their more energetic stuff present on the album... Too much space was given to the sung songs, and wau-y too much devoted time spent on the boring drumm duel duet... Personally, I preferred the non-album tyrack (written by Ryan Porter for his own upcoming album-

Maalouf was much more energetic and communicative (despite addressing the crowd in french, whigh is always delicate in Flanders), he was touring his Kalthoum band (with US/Bel/Fr members) instead of his rockier (Belgian) R&B Light band. He took his sweet time to explain who was Oum Kalthoum and how important she was to Arabs, then invited to Syrian oud player to sing the original song that Maalouf expanded into an album. A lot of emotions throughout the 110 mins show

I was originally planning to go back to Gent saturday (John Cale and Mat Halsall) and sunday ( Flat Earth Socety & a Tribute to Moondog) but Billy Cobbham, Didier Lockwood and Pihilipp Catherine will appear in the free Brosella Festival in Brussels this sunday
    Thanks Trane!.

Just found out that John Medeski + A Love Electric will play here in Costa Rica for the very first time on August, the 18Th !!.
    Waoooooo!!.

More info.:
    https://www.facebook.com/events/1758132741065740/
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

This is helping me a lot, I only owned 6 records of Sun Ra ... this is a great selection of music!.

Marshall Allen presents Sun Ra And His Arkestra: In The Orbit Of Ra (2014).

Bandcamp:
    https://sunrastrut.bandcamp.com/albu...he-orbit-of-ra or

"Arkestra bandleader Marshall Allen cuts through the sea of Sun Ra reissues to bring you a brilliantly curated introduction to the cosmic jazz master, celebrating what would have been his 100th earth year. A sumptuous collection of classics, rarities and unreleased tracks and versions."
    Last edited by TCC; 07-09-2016 at 12:09 AM.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Sun Ra's music contains mostly free playing after about 1963, with the exception of the ocassional big band chart. The titles released on the Evidence label in the early 90s is the legit stuff. Some other excellent titles include Jazz In Silhouette, Super Sonic Jazz, Sound Sun Pleasure. The first two that Mo' listed come as 2-fers. Cosmic Tones is one of the first psychedelic albums released about 4 years before the rock bands. And it's also paired with another album.

My top 5 Ra for what it's worth:

Heliocentric Worlds Vol. 1
    Magic City
    Nothing Is
    Futuristic Sounds of Sun Ra
    Lanquidity

Ok, thanks for the Sun Ra recs. I have two of those (two for one) albums on the Evidence label. Cosmic Tones For Mental Therapy and Art Forms of Dimensions Tomorrow, and the other, We Travel the Space Ways and Bad and Beautiful. I think I read a Harvey Pekar article on these or heard something on NPR about them, either way they are pretty good, so was looking for more. His music, at least to me, and just from what I've heard, has a future/primitive vibe to it. I know that's not a very good description, but it's not futuristic like maybe Tangerine Dream might be or like some other fusion-y band might be, and at times almost reminds me of some of that mondo jazz stuff. (ducking) Anyway, thanks.

a future/primitive vibe to it.
    Ra's music is often described as "Afro-futurism," but the term is as much political/racial as it is musical.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Last edited by Jay.Dee; 07-10-2016 at 05:08 PM.

Ra's music is often described as "Afro-futurism--that makes sense to me now. I think that Afro might by synonymous to my primitive in that it has what sounds like and earlier tone/vibe to it. I guess the same can be said for Afro-ism in that it relates back to earlier roots or has an ethnic sound and history to it ie. an influence like the drummers of Burundi I can see/hear that.

Allaboutjazz.com has a forum

I wondered if anyone liked, I guess the genre is easy listening jazz? Lately I've been listening to a Yellowjacket's cassette in the car called Greenhouse. It's really good and really upon listening to it many times, is fairly diverse in style, etc. I've also enjoyed some of the Special EFX albums.

During my late teens and up to my middle twenties I took cannabis products, but I must say that in my circle of friends hashish was much more popular than marihuana.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldFriede View Post
    During my late teens and up to my middle twenties I took cannabis products, but I must say that in my circle of friends hashish was much more popular than marihuana.
    I'll admit that would probably go good with jazz.

Arrived at the Brosella festival during the Didier Lockwood concert... a duo with guitarist Lagrčne, and guess what?? They did a Grapelli & Reinhardt rendition....

After 10 minutes, Iwent to my GF's place for a couple of hours, because I learbned that Philipp Catherine would play with Galiano (I knew that part), but they would do a Musette crap...

I came back for the closing show of Billy Cobham... the dude is still in great shape and his show was named Tierra Del Fuego, which sounded promising, despite it being a homage to his parents: I was fearing some old style jazz.
    But 90% of the show was blazzing JR/F (I only recognized three pieces from the first three albums (the ones I'm most familiar with), and only the closing number was more "trad-y"

Line-up:
    Billy Cobham (drums), Jean-Marie Ecay (guitar), Christian Galvez (bass), Steve Hamilton (keyboards) and Camelia Ben Naceur (keyboards)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.