Page 22 of 148 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272122 ... LastLast

Thread: JAZZ Discussion

No point in a dedicated thread, so....

RIP Gerald Wilson, L.A. big band heavy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/10/ar...t-96.html?_r=0

I recommend the Mosaic box set.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

...and Joe Sample has left us, as well. Sad.

Last few albums played...Roland Kirk's 'The Inflated Tear' (particularly love the title track on this!) and Eberhard Weber's 'Yellow Fields' (an ECM favourite I hadn't played for a while). Both great and testament to just how diverse the 'jazz' genre really is.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Last few albums played...Roland Kirk's 'The Inflated Tear' (particularly love the title track on this!) and Eberhard Weber's 'Yellow Fields' (an ECM favourite I hadn't played for a while). Both great and testament to just how diverse the 'jazz' genre really is.
    The first three jazz albums I heard (when I was about 15):

Sun Ra - Heliocentric Worlds Vol I
    John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
    Barney Kessel - Swinging Party

So about the first thing I knew about jazz was how diverse it can be.

I can't recall the first jazz records my friend turned me on to,but i know they were by an out or avant garde group because that's what my friend was into,big time.The outer the music, the better he liked it,especially in jazz.

It was definitely a somewhat atypical way to cut ones teeth on this art form, being played AACM,the New York 60's high energy cats,the European free jazz blowers and free improvisors,but that's what he had,that's what he loved.I knew next to nothing about jazz,he knew just about everything.It was sort of overwhelming to me.My friend never lost his appetite for the most radical sounds in jazz.After a few years of a steady diet of this stuff,live and on wax, i started to tire of the avant garde.

There was (is) so much more to jazz than what i was listening to.A new world was there to be discovered,music that not only moved me,but made me move.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ..... how diverse the 'jazz' genre really is.
    I don't know what the word even means anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Always dug that record. Nice take on "Joy Spring."

N.P. - Jason Adasiewicz's Sun Rooms - From the Region

Art Ensemble of Chicago-Paris 1970.I've not seen this clip before.Fantastic.

Ancient To The Future...indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Always dug that record. Nice take on "Joy Spring."
    You may be the first person I've come across who has even heard of that record, Mo. It was one of the three things that got me on the road to learning how to play jazz, partially because Barney's playing was simple and accessible enough for me to figure out what he was doing. I learned "Joy Spring" and "Lover Man" from that album (although I later learned that he wasn't exactly playing the bridge to Joy Spring verbatim). The other two things were a book called "The Mickey Baker Jazz Method" (from which I learned a bunch of chords that I'd never encountered before, being a blues/rocker) and Charlie Parker tunes, which (the late) Fred Anderson taught me phrase by phrase. I'll always be indebted to him for that.

I got to hear Barney Kessel live once, which I'm grateful for. He was pretty sloppy when he'd "double up," but he swung so hard that I didn't mind. Speaking of trad jazz guitar players that were a bit on the sloppy side; I read a book about McLaughlin recently and was surprised to learn that his main man was Tal Farlow.

Been watching this video of Michael Brecker with some frequency lately. I've posted it here before, but I love it, so forgive me! I just think it's a great performance of a great tune.

You may be the first person I've come across who has even heard of that record, Mo. It was one of the three things that got me on the road to learning how to play jazz, partially because Barney's playing was simple and accessible enough for me to figure out what he was doing. I learned "Joy Spring" and "Lover Man" from that album (although I later learned that he wasn't exactly playing the bridge to Joy Spring verbatim). The other two things were a book called "The Mickey Baker Jazz Method" (from which I learned a bunch of chords that I'd never encountered before, being a blues/rocker) and Charlie Parker tunes.....
    I got to hear Barney Kessel live once, which I'm grateful for. He was pretty sloppy when he'd "double up," but he swung so hard that I didn't mind. Speaking of trad jazz guitar players that were a bit on the sloppy side; I read a book about McLaughlin recently and was surprised to learn that his main man was Tal Farlow.
    Yeah, Ernie, my formative experience was essentially the same. I still have my Kessel LPs, though I can't remember when I last listened to them. Of his ilk, the other guy whose playing was equally transparent--i.e., "coppable"--was Herb Ellis. After that, it was all heavies.
    I may still have that Baker book, black and yellow-ish cover, iirc. I saw Farlow in the 80s and he played! When the Parker Savoy sides were re-issued in the mid-70s, that's all she wrote; I was ready for bebop, baby!

Steve Coleman has received a MacArthur Foundation "Genius" grant.Coleman will get $625,000 over the next five years, to be used as he sees fit.

Cool.
    Last edited by walt; 09-21-2014 at 06:59 PM.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Steve Coleman has received a MacArthur Foundation "Fellow" grant.Coleman will get $625,000 over the next five years, to be used as he sees fit.

Cool.
    Move to Tahiti & play at a beachfront bar for tips?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Move to Tahiti & play at a beachfront bar for tips?

Hell, with that kind of scratch he can buy the bar.

Really happy for Steve Coleman. As Melvin Gibbs said on FB, now it's time to give one to Threadgill.

Doesn't the artist have to apply for these grants? I know other Chicagoans including Patricia Barber and Ken Vandermark have been recipients. I don't know if they'd give one to a fusion artist, but I'd like to see Holdsworth get some cash.
    Last edited by Reid; 09-17-2014 at 12:31 PM.

Anyone familiar with Jerome Sabbagh? I just stumbled onto this quartet w/ Ben Monder.

Yeah, Ernie, my formative experience was essentially the same. I still have my Kessel LPs, though I can't remember when I last listened to them. Of his ilk, the other guy whose playing was equally transparent--i.e., "coppable"--was Herb Ellis. After that, it was all heavies.
    I may still have that Baker book, black and yellow-ish cover, iirc. I saw Farlow in the 80s and he played! When the Parker Savoy sides were re-issued in the mid-70s, that's all she wrote; I was ready for bebop, baby!
    Interesting that we have some similar musical upbringings, Mo. Do you still play?

Tal Farlow: He played really hip lines and all; I just had some trouble getting past his slop. Some guys know music more than they know how to get around on their axes and others know their axe better than they know how to play music; I kind of put him in the former camp.

Bebop: I think the most important aspect of my development was learning Bird's tunes. It goes without saying that his tunes had a lot in common with his improvisations and I didn't just play the tunes; I analyzed them and figured out why certain notes and phrases sounded so cool against certain chords. Of course, they can't help but strengthen your chops too.

Just heard the sad news that Kenny Wheeler is no longer with us, as of this morning.

Rest in Peace--will spend some time listening to Kenny tonight.

Interesting that we have some similar musical upbringings, Mo. Do you still play?

Bebop: I think the most important aspect of my development was learning Bird's tunes. It goes without saying that his tunes had a lot in common with his improvisations and I didn't just play the tunes; I analyzed them and figured out why certain notes and phrases sounded so cool against certain chords. Of course, they can't help but strengthen your chops too.
    Ernie, I still play, but I don't gig as much as used to. I spent a lot of time with Bird, too; I wore the grooves down on the records and my Omnibook is well-worn.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Anyone familiar with Jerome Sabbagh? I just stumbled onto this quartet w/ Ben Monder.
    Cool! Ben Monder is such a multi-faceted player! It's always interesting to hear his work as a sideman; he always sounds good, but none of it sounds like what he does on his own albums, which are unlike anything I've heard anybody else do as a guitar player/composer.

Ernie, I still play, but I don't gig as much as used to. I spent a lot of time with Bird, too; I wore the grooves down on the records and my Omnibook is well-worn.
    Ah yes, the Bird Omnibook! I used to have it. But being a poor reader with a not-so-poor ear, I tend to learn things quicker by listening and figuring them out. Of course, I can read well enough to check a chart for reference when there's a note I'm not sure of.

Anyway, I'm glad you're still playing! My dad was a professional symphony orchestra musician who retired a couple of decades ago. Just yesterday, I asked him if he misses playing and he said "no." I can't fathom that!

Cool! Ben Monder is such a multi-faceted player! It's always interesting to hear his work as a sideman; he always sounds good, but none of it sounds like what he does on his own albums, which are unlike anything I've heard anybody else do as a guitar player/composer.
    His chordal playing and knowledge is staggering. When I first heard him, it was the most exciting discovery since my young days getting into Holdsworth, Frisell, Scofield, Metheny, etc...

Spring Quintett 1981
    Music in the scandinavian Garbarek / ECM 'tradition' , only printed on vinyl i a small number, never got any attention, never on CD. Totally unfair..

Since the mid-60.s Scandinavian music has been restless in the searching of its own identity as in the music of the most conspicuosly, Jan Garbarek, Jan Johansson and the Swedish Radio Jazzgroup. This album represents the best in this tradition.
    - George Russel.

More tracks from the album will reach the tube as soon as I get them ready.

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Steve Coleman has received a MacArthur Foundation "Fellow" grant.Coleman will get $625,000 over the next five years, to be used as he sees fit.

Cool.
    Wow, that's great. I am big Coleman fan and am interested to see what comes of this.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Anyone familiar with Jerome Sabbagh?
    Yeah, I am. I have a few recordings of his and saw he had this new one with Monder. I will have to add it to my arsenal.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Just heard the sad news that Kenny Wheeler is no longer with us, as of this morning.

Rest in Peace--will spend some time listening to Kenny tonight.
    Yeah, RIP Kenny.

I'm a big fan of Gnu High, Deer Wan, and some of his work as a sideman.