Page 121 of 148 FirstFirst ... 2171111117118119120121122123124125131 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,025 of 3684

Thread: JAZZ Discussion

Picking up the Italian thread woven into Tomás post, I'd like to recommend this:

I feel privileged to count Dave Milligan as a friend, & I believe that this is the most beautiful album he has recorded. The playing is exquisite, the quality of the sound is remarkable - &, as with all of Dave's playing, there are so many beautiful melodies.

The performance by the Stone Islands big band at the Queen's Hall in Edinburgh, which features briefly in this video, occupies a very special, & significant, place in my life.

More here: https://davemilligan.bandcamp.com/album/momento

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    Picking up the Italian thread woven into Tomás post, I'd like to recommend this:

I feel privileged to count Dave Milligan as a friend, & I believe that this is the most beautiful album he has recorded. The playing is exquisite, the quality of the sound is remarkable - &, as with all of Dave's playing, there are so many beautiful melodies.

The performance by the Stone Islands big band at the Queen's Hall in Edinburgh, which features briefly in this video, occupies a very special, & significant, place in my life.

I find this very intriguing. Off to Bandcamp!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Absolutely superb drummer. Last time I saw him play was with The Whammies at the Bimhuis, a great gig. Shocked to realise that was seven years ago!
    My favorite jazzer and second favorite overall. I would love to see him live, especially in a solo context. But with whatever group (as long as they aren't doing Parker covers or something silly like that) I'd be all in for.

Sadly, I live in America where it doesn't seem live music (especially of non american artists) doesn't seem like a thing that will exist for the near and intermediate future.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I'd add Yazz Ahmed to those 2.
    Artistically yes , but in terms of fame and sales, I don't think so (at least from the continent's POV)
    Last edited by Trane; 10-31-2020 at 03:21 PM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post

Off my radar, thanks my friend!
    Last edited by TCC; 08-31-2020 at 01:24 AM.

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

There's no shortage of piano trio recordings.I've bought my share.Kept a few;disposed of many.This one's a keeper.

https://jerrygranelli.bandcamp.com/a...d-mose-allison
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    STOP MAKING ME SPEND MONEY!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Now playing: Azar Lawrence - Prayer for My Ancestors

Nothing wrong with a blatant homage every now and again.

^^^
    Good stuff

==============

new Idriss Ackamoor & The Pyramids album: Shaman!

https://idrisackamoor.bandcamp.com/album/shaman

===================

New Yazz Ahmed releases, but not yet available for streaming on bandcamp

https://yazzahmed.bandcamp.com/album/th ... -were-live

https://yazzahmed.bandcamp.com/album/under-quiet-skies
    Last edited by Trane; 09-01-2020 at 05:32 PM.

Archie Shepp-1977

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    ^^^
    Good stuff

==============

new Idriss Ackamoor & The Pyramids album: Shaman!

https://idrisackamoor.bandcamp.com/album/shaman

===================

New Yazz Ahmed releases, but not yet available for streaming on bandcamp

https://yazzahmed.bandcamp.com/album/th ... -were-live

https://yazzahmed.bandcamp.com/album/under-quiet-skies
    I've downloaded both those Yazz Ahmed's.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I've downloaded both those Yazz Ahmed's.
    I got both as well from bandcamp but they were only available a limited time during the Bandcamp artist support sales. Maybe next friday you can get them again.
    That live album is absolutely great I think.

So the Miles Davis box sets that I ordered from the Miles Davis webstore arrived on Saturday, though apparently the mailman (or letter carrier or whatever you call them) just put the box on the front porch, and I didn't see it there until Sunday morning when I was leaving for work. So I've been listening to lots of Miles since then. Right now I'm on disc two of the Seven Steps box (having worked my way backwards, starting wtih the Jack Johnson box, then the Second Great Quintet box). Wonderful music here.

One thing I've learned that I didn't know was that on the Seven Steps To Heaven album, the pianist is Victor Feldman, who I know as a studio musician who played on all the original era Steely Dan albums, among many other records. I remember Keyboard magazine running article on him circa 1985, showing him sitting on a mixing console with a big rack full of synths behind, a Rhodes Chroma, a Roland Prophet-T8 and I forget what the one was (might have been a Roland JX-3P, now that I think about it). Anyway, so I never really know he had a career as a legit jazz musician before his session days, and I certainly didn't know he played with Miles. So that was one cool thing to learn here.

I also got the Miles & Gil set from a second hand dealer on Amazon, so I now own all the "complete" Miles Davis boxsets that Sony put out, except for the On The Corner box (which is still fetching stupid amounts of money on all the sites I checked for it). One thing I find interesting is, reading about the Quiet Nights album on Wikipedia, and how they only got about 20 minutes of music out of the sessions that Miles did for that one, so Teo took an outtake from the Seven Steps To Heaven sessions and tossed it onto the end of Quiet Nights, bringing the album up to "acceptable length". I find that amusing, since it's still only 26 minutes long, but I guess back then, that was considered "LP length".

Another thing I've learned from researching the music on these sets is finding out about the producers who worked with Miles prior to the late 60's. I always thought of Teo Macero as Miles' producer, I guess because I knew he had worked on Sketches Of Spain and all the In A Silent Way/Bitches Brew/Jack Johnson/On The Corner/Big Fun/Pangaea/Agharta era stuff, I just kinda thought he did all of Miles' records, but that's obviously not true. In fact, according to Wikipedia, that deal with him sticking the quintet number onto Quiet Nights apparently pissed Miles off to a such extent that he didn't work with Teo again for a few years (though according to Wikipedia, Miles really only did one album in between, ESP, with a different producer).

That also comes into question Teo's claim that "he" deliberately sped up the one LP side on Kind Of Blue, "because it sounded better at a faster tempo". Maybe Irving Townsend did it on purpose, but at that point, Teo was merely Townsend's henchman and it seems unlikely to me that he'd have been allowed to make an executive decision like that under those circumstances.

Anyway, I'm enjoying listening to this stuff. I've pretty much gotten through all the music I've heard before, so the rest of the Seven Steps set and the Miles & Trane box are going to be pretty much "new to my ears" music.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 09-02-2020 at 09:16 PM.

Improvisations by Bobby Previte, Jamie Saft and Nels Cline called Music From the Early 21st Century, can be pretty noisy at times, chaotic, etc. But overall, when I'm in the mood fits that mood.

"
    Anyway, I'm enjoying listening to this stuff. I've pretty much gotten through all the music I've heard before, so the rest of the Seven Steps set and the Miles & Trane box are going to be pretty much "new to my ears" music."

How are you getting on with the 1960 European Tour box? -- for me, this is one of the most remarkable accomplishments in the history of jazz. The Stockholm set in particular, which is superbly recorded, is a desert island disc for me.

Any recs on Miles box sets? There's a ton of them out there.

Complete second classic quintet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    Complete second classic quintet.
    And its perfect companion piece, the Complete Live at the Plugged Nickel!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Yes, both of those. And the complete Jack Johnson--soooo good! I got the On the Corner one for a song, recently--didin't realize how much $$$ they were getting. Haven't dug deeply into it, yet.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

I have the Complete Miles/Trane box and the Complete In Person at the Blackhawk, and also the BB and JJ boxes, but the 60s quintet boxes are what I reach for more often than not. The story behind the Plugged Nickel recordings has always fascinated me: that the band decided (without Miles' foreknowledge, and without knowing that the gigs were going to be recorded) that they were going to experiment. They were getting tired of playing the "standards" and decided to approach things in an "anti-music" way, not following what might be their first instinct and instead committing to playing something completely different. In other words, much more like the music they'd started laying down in the studio beginning with E.S.P. That they stuck to the plan, and Miles bought in totally, speaks to the level of musicianship on all parts. The results make for one of the most amazing live jazz documents ever recorded.
    Last edited by proggy_jazzer; 09-17-2020 at 05:43 PM.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

I'm doing the Miles & Trane Last Tour set this week. Trane plays some crazy fast solos at these gigs. But according to the notes he didn't want to be there.

Doc on free jazz

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    I'm doing the Miles & Trane Last Tour set this week. Trane plays some crazy fast solos at these gigs. But according to the notes he didn't want to be there.
    Trane is really far out in these shows - a number of which are very well recorded. You can hear Miles almost "retreating" as the tour goes on, playing more & more perfunctory solos, as Trane becomes more & more challenging in his playing.

And yet, just as turned out to be the case with the late 1964 & 1965 Coltrane Classic Quartet recordings, the closer the group get to imploding, the more extraordinary & powerful the playing becomes.