Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rikard Sjöblom/Chalkpie Chat & Interview

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I was actually not familiar with Rikard's music. Watching the show and video have given me a new appreciation of this music.
    Yeah man....you heard me rave about Rikard's music....you should dive in head first. There is a ton of amazing stuff, and that's going back essentially to the beginning.

I saw that there is also an Swedish Language Gungfly album out there with the eloquent title " Att För Barn Som Tror På Sagor Läsa Högt När Kvällen Kommer". It was part of the Gungfly boxset but I saw that it can be purchased individually from Itunes.

Anyone has this one? care to comment?

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I saw that there is also an Swedish Language Gungfly album out there with the eloquent title " Att För Barn Som Tror På Sagor Läsa Högt När Kvällen Kommer". It was part of the Gungfly boxset but I saw that it can be purchased individually from Itunes.

Anyone has this one? care to comment?
    I'll give it a try. It's not one of Gungfly's 'prog' albums - it's more of a "pop" album sung entirely in Swedish. But when I say "pop" album, Rikard is not a traditional pop composer, so there are some interesting chord progressions, some cool keyboard colors/timbres, and it's all intelligent and well-written material. There are a few tunes that are bluesy, a few ballads, and a few that borderline on almost disco/Pointer Sisters type vibe (and I am not joking on that last one!), but his melodies are always strong. We know Rikard was a Pointer Sisters fan It's a great recording production-wise and seriously well-played and sung. It's not one that I reach for often but I have the box and it shows another example of how eclectic and diverse Rikard's music can be. Try to hit some examples on YT for an overall vibe.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Thanks for sharing the live Rikard gig footage, I really enjoyed that.

Check out who's coming up in the next month on the show....

https://www.facebook.com/14776/video...1465798847143/

You don't need FB to see it, btw^^^^
    Last edited by Sean; 10-28-2020 at 07:04 PM.

^ "Notice
    You must log in to continue."

Try now.... Better?

Check out who's coming up in the next month on the show....

Last edited by Sean; 10-28-2020 at 07:34 PM.

Some good stuff coming up. Still not a fan of the term "Yacht Rock."

We will see if anyone else is. Including people like the drummer from Ambrosia. A band that got the tag.

I think it's sort of bizarre that a genre was named thanks to a show on YouTube (and the like) that was a straight up parody of it. I mean, that's a first, isn't it? Basically it's just a tag for what people called "soft rock" back on the day. Investigating it's roots has been interesting. It's a mid to late 70s and early 80s thing. I can point to several tunes from '72 or so that were sowing the seeds though. "Brandy", "If", "Baby I'm-A Want You", etc.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Stellar List!! Look forward to tuning in.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I agree with all of that, Sean. "Rock Me Gently," "Let Your Love Flow," the list is practically endless.

Banned
    I think the devil of “yacht rock” is freakin Michael McDonald who basically f@@ked the Doobie Brothers.