Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Chester Thompson Interview

New Chester Thompson Interview

Had a chat with Chester today and he reflected on his years with Zappa, Weather Report and Genesis. We discuss some early influences and memories too.

Great interview! Thanks for posting..

Thanks for this Sean, looking forward to watching. Well done for getting all these big names to interveiw.

Excellent, interesting interview......

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I guess one of the things I'm becoming most impressed about is how prepared Sean is for these interviews, knowing the musician's catalog and the key players who the interviewee worked with really must put the interviewee at ease. Also, an in-depth knowledge of the structure of music itself. Also, there is a natural flow of questions that does stictly focus on prepared questions. I also think the fact Sean is a musician allow for a better responses and alliance from Chester (and others). It established credibilty. There is no fanboyism, it's almost like the interviewee and interviewer are on equal levels - not a star struck interviewer blowing smoke in the air. The interviewer give space to the interview - not only questions but listening skills and knowing the right moment in interject.

I'm curious how contact is established with the musician. A basic question - how do you contact them (phone/email)?
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Chester: I've had two back surgeries. Phil's also had two plus a neck surgery.
    damn! (tough being a touring drummer--obviously!)

Quote Originally Posted by syncopatico View Post
    (tough being a touring drummer--obviously!)
    Especially playing Genesis music.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I guess one of the things I'm becoming most impressed about is how prepared Sean is for these interviews, knowing the musician's catalog and the key players who the interviewee worked with really must put the interviewee at ease. Also, an in-depth knowledge of the structure of music itself. Also, there is a natural flow of questions that does stictly focus on prepared questions. I also think the fact Sean is a musician allow for a better responses and alliance from Chester (and others). It established credibilty. There is no fanboyism, it's almost like the interviewee and interviewer are on equal levels - not a star struck interviewer blowing smoke in the air. The interviewer give space to the interview - not only questions but listening skills and knowing the right moment in interject.

I'm curious how contact is established with the musician. A basic question - how do you contact them (phone/email)?
    I usually just send them a message thru Facebook. That's how I got most of them. I do work with a couple PR firms too, mostly for guys like A R and W. For this one I just wrote Chester at his website and asked if he'd like to be on the show. I know some folks think the PE connection is my way in, but I have to admit I really don't bring PE up much. This is it's own thing and while I share them here, it's independent. Plus, I sometimes chat with people that have nothing to do with prog so it wouldn't ring any bells.

The questions I usually prep in advance, though sometimes I deviate from them depending on how the interview unfolds. You really have to "vibe" them and go with the flow. Sometimes the guest is so entertaining you just want to sit back and listen. Dug from King's X last week is a great example of that. It helps that I have been lucky to interview artists who's work I love and am familiar with. If I just did this for anyone I'm not sure I could go as deep, though I suspect I could still get a good chat out of them. I have started being approached to do just that and I have mixed feelings about it. If I don't know their work well some research is in order in advance. Thanks for tuning in and thanks for the good words, Greg and everyone!
    Last edited by Sean; 09-27-2020 at 04:50 PM.

I just love his work with Zappa. The full-length "Inca Roads" from the Helsinki concert is as much fun listening to Chester as it is listening to Zappa. The way Thompson follows Zappa's solo and plays off of it is just great to listen to.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Sean is on FIRE! Talking to everybody! This was cool. I caught most of it. Great stuff! Did Chester mention why he doesn't play with Genesis live anymore? If so I missed that part. I was always curious but didn't want to ask.

Did Chester mention why he doesn't play with Genesis live anymore? If so I missed that part. I was always curious but didn't want to ask.
    There was some talk of a falling out between him and Phil, which is difficult to believe and sad to hear. I imagine it would be a bit awkward to bring something like that up though.

It didn't really occur to me to ask. Some folks that watched this interview seemed to get the impression all wasn't well between them, but I didn't catch that. He seemed to speak highly of Phil. Maybe not of his technique (using your whole arm to drum when your wrist would do), but that's about it as far as I could tell.

He seemed to speak highly of Phil.
    Chester is a class act, so I think even if there is some beef between the two of them, he would still be able to maintain respect for Phil.

Chester is (probably) rightly upset that Phil's son was chosen as the touring drummer (before the tour was cancelled) over him--but then again, Chester (by his own admission) has had two back surgeries, and that I'm sure has slowed him down/diminished his power/endurance somewhat.

Chester is (probably) rightly upset that Phil's son was chosen as the touring drummer (before the tour was cancelled) over him
    Thing is, a few years ago Phil did some rehearsals with his full band with Jason Bonham on drums - so Chester was already out of the picture then.

Chester is (probably) rightly upset that Phil's son was chosen as the touring drummer (before the tour was cancelled) over him--but then again, Chester (by his own admission) has had two back surgeries, and that I'm sure has slowed him down/diminished his power/endurance somewhat.
    It wasn't as messed up as how Van Halen informed Michael Anthony Wolfie would be replacing him on bass.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Really nice interview, and Chester seems like a genuinely nice cat. Learned several things I didn't know. Thanks for posting!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Just my take on it but Chester probably didn't want to go on tours like that anymore. Phil wanted his son to play and nobody can fault him for that. He has had multiple percussion players before so having his old drum partner around would have been good for the band and a crash course for Nick. I would bet that for Genesis, Chester would be first pick for them. Nick could have played with Chester. Mr Thompson only had nice things to say about Phil.

I'm just finished up with the Chester interview - another banger, Sean!

I'm actually sort of inspired to check out some of this "fusion" stuff now. I know a couple Mahavinshu tunes, but other than that I'm a complete square when it comes to the more jazzy side of things.

Any suggestions for an entry point? Chick Corea, Weather Report, UK, Brand X, Zappa?

Difficulty Level: I don't like brappy horns

Quote Originally Posted by julioscissors View Post
    Any suggestions for an entry point? Chick Corea, Weather Report, UK, Brand X, Zappa?
    Like you I was relatively late to the fusion side of things, but had been exposed to it during the 70s by mainstream stuff like Jeff Beck and Santana. In terms of prog, fusion-y stuff has turned up within bands not considered fusion. Genesis' "Wot Gorilla?" or Camel's "Skylines", for example. So it's useful to use those reference points to inform you about good directions to go from there. For example, if you like "Skylines" you should probably then check out Richard Sinclair's other more fusion-y groups like Hatfield & the North.

However, if you really just want to jump into a more pure fusion direction I'd recommend early Mahavishnu, mid-70s Soft Machine, Return to Forever, and Brand X. They're all relatively safe entry points for progheads. I know many will recommend Zappa but I've discovered that can be a bit of a land mine. UK wasn't really a fusion band. Chick Corea and Weather Report were both very fusion-y in the 70s, although CC is a safer bet IMO.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    I know many will recommend Zappa but I've discovered that can be a bit of a land mine
    Here's a great "entry point" for anybody new to Frank Zappa's mid-70's *fusion* era. One of Zappa's greatest & best-loved songs (with arguably his most famous live guitar solo from the 70's inserted). [The album this is taken from 'One Size Fits All' is his only studio record which features solely Chester on the drums.]

Zappa -One Size Fits All and Roxy and Elsewhere are prime Chester albums

Brand X - Unorthodox Behavior and Moroccan Roll are incredible albums. I have literally listened to both 100s of times and never get tired of them

Weather Report = Black Market has Chester, and is a great album. Sweetnighter and Tail Spinnin' are also personal favorites.

Chick Corea - I would go with Return to Forever's Romantic Warrior. Top notch fusion

U.K. = The self titled 1st album is superb. Bill Bruford and Allan Holdsworth are amazing on it. I don't care for the other stuff they did after Bill and Allan left

^ Thompson's double feature with other drummer Ralph Humphrey (who unfortunately was never invited into Genesis but played on the excellent Over-Nite Sensation of Zappa's from the year before Roxy) in the "Village of the Sun/Echidna's Arf/Don't You Ever Wash That Thing" threepiece is an amazing showplay of his technical abilities, creative strength, obsessive energy and sheer economy of restraint. It contributes significantly to making this one of the truly outstanding 18 minute-moments of mid-70s Zappa. This is some seriously challenging stuff, some of my fave minutes by him.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Here's a great "entry point" for anybody new to Frank Zappa's mid-70's *fusion* era. One of Zappa's greatest & best-loved songs (with arguably his most famous live guitar solo from the 70's inserted). [The album this is taken from 'One Size Fits All' is his only studio record which features solely Chester on the drums.]

Don't own any Zappa. This would be a great track but I just can't get past his singing. Can you recommend an instrumental album of his?

"Echidna"/"Wash". Instrumental. With Thompson and Humphrey.

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM