tan.jpg

Tracks Listing:
    1. Ricochet Pt. 1 (17:03)
    2. Ricochet Pt. 2 (21:11)

Line-up:
    - Edgar Froese / synthesizer, bass, guitar, keyboards, composer
    - Peter Bauman / keyboards, drums
    - Christoph Franke / keyboards

Here is what Memowakeman (AKA Guillermo Urdapilleta) had to say about it on ProgArchives
    Heavenly and great atmospheric live album!

I am not an expert, not even a huge fan of electronic prog, and non prog electronic, i like some stuff , artists, bands etc, but that`s not really my true love, despite it, i can listen and enjoy electronic music whenever i wish, maybe i have to be in a good mood to stand it and not fall asleep, anyway there are some albums that i can really listen and enjoy and get invoved with, an example is Tangerine Dream`s Ricochet, which actually is my favorite album of them, despite being a Live and not Studio album .

As an electronic album, it doesn`t have vocals at all, and it has only 2 long songs on it, easily named Ricochet Parts 1 and 2, just to dont pay attention to the title, but to the music.

I can imagine people like me in a concert waiting for a performance of TD, strange because i have never experienced a concert with this kind of music, and maybe that reason makes me feel more enthusiastic and anxious to know about what it is , when i listen to Ricochet, my mind is cleared, this kind of albums which create such and atmospherical sound that comes immediately to your mind and takes out the noise surrounding you, and it clearly shows us a the more i listen to it, the more i like it and get involved with, deeper and deeper like if you were caugh or hypnotized i dont know, but the fact is that i love that kind of albums which make this to me.

It happens with Ricochet, but always, simply always that i listen to it, curiously i like a lot other TD albums, but it happens to me only with this, i can enjoy Atem or Sorcerer or Encore i can feel great with them, but not the same with this.

This is when i realize the quality of genius that Edgar Froese was in his best era, im sure he`s still a genious, but his music is not that great like then, the first part of Ricochet lasts 17 minutes, but i prepare my mind (or not prepared, i only leave it to the air`s desicion) to turn my memory and clear it to this album, since the first mnutes i can say that i love it, that crescendo and atmospheric sound, always brilliant, alwasy progressing, and added to the guitar and drums sound makes a great sound to my ears, the same thing happens with the second part of it, it caughts my attention at the grade that i cannot do anything more but listen to it, that`s the beauty of this kind of electronic albums.

So i think i have nothing more to say, i love it, i simply love it, 5 stars..

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Great album.

Ricochet is essentially a studio album. I think some bits of Part 2 are actually live, but Part 1 was completely recorded in the studio.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Big love for Ricochet here.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Huge fan, just a shade behind Phaedra & Rubycon in the holy trinity for me.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Ricochet was my first Tangerine album, bought upon release and still remains my fave, pink and/or virgin era

I have a real soft spot for the first four Ohr albums, but I have to be in the mood to revisit them.

This one has a real Floyd feel and that's what appealed to me (even when they go atonal in the electronic section >> I always think of AHM's weird electronics section), but I didn't find that in the previous or next albums.
    Last edited by Trane; 09-16-2020 at 05:11 PM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Ricochet was my first Tanf-gerine album, bought upon release
    What were you in for?

C L A S S I C !

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Great album.

Ricochet is essentially a studio album. I think some bits of Part 2 are actually live, but Part 1 was completely recorded in the studio.
    I figured that like most bands, they made some adjustments on their live albums. Fixed bum notes, maybe added an instrument or sound because they just didn't have enough hands/machines to do it all live. I always figured the drums where added in the studio, but not the whole piece. Either way, a great album.

One of the absolute TD essentials. This one has aged better than almost anything else they ever did.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Can't add much more. An essential slice of electronic prog bliss. Easily a top 5 TD release.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    I figured that like most bands, they made some adjustments on their live albums. Fixed bum notes, maybe added an instrument or sound because they just didn't have enough hands/machines to do it all live. I always figured the drums where added in the studio, but not the whole piece. Either way, a great album.
    Apparently it was a discovery that was made whilst working with the tapes for the Hades box, and there's a small bit of interesting detail in the included book.

Up until Valentine Wheels/Tournado, it always seemed to be a running joke that TD live albums weren't. Honestly, it never bothered me much because the live albums were essentially all new material for eager ears. In some cases, like Logos and Poland, I think the material on the live albums is much stronger than the adjacent studio albums
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

It's a very good album, but I prefer everything that preceeded it.

Apparently it was a discovery that was made whilst working with the tapes for the Hades box, and there's a small bit of interesting detail in the included book.

Up until Valentine Wheels/Tournado, it always seemed to be a running joke that TD live albums weren't. Honestly, it never bothered me much because the live albums were essentially all new material for eager ears. In some cases, like Logos and Poland, I think the material on the live albums is much stronger than the adjacent studio albums
    The ones I got most of a sense of "live" from were Pergamon and Logos.

Livemiles really wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    The ones I got most of a sense of "live" from were Pergamon and Logos.

Livemiles really wasn't.
    OMG when I actually heard the real 1987 broadcast...wow, night and freaking DAY.

I ranked it at $7 of "10 Tangerine Dream Albums to Blow Your Mind." but honestly, it could've been #3. https://wp.me/p4ZE0X-i8N

OMG when I actually heard the real 1987 broadcast...wow, night and freaking DAY.
    Needless to say, broadcast > album...

The first TD album I heard, and it captivated me. This music was not only menacing but deeply scorching in tone and mood, and that repetitive ostinato for guitar and synth on side 1 kept haunting me for weeks on end. Planets and worlds seeed to collide in my head when I took it in. The piano opening on side 2 is still one of my very fave TD passages.

Yet I never really got the alleged "live improv" part of it; this all sounded way too planned-out and prefixed to me, albeit containing less obvious editing and processing than the official studio records. Of which Rubycon, Zeit and especially Atem remain their pinnacles for me. The band were complete magic back then, and different from practically everything before them.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

It's a terrific album; there's a shift to a slightly more user-friendly sound, but as such, it's one of the best introductions to the band IMHO.

My overall favourite is probably Rubycon, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    The piano opening on side 2 is still one of my very fave TD passages.
    It's beautiful.

Part of their best period for me, as already mentioned.

Logos and Poland are excellent and always thought it was a bonus that the live albums where essentially new material. Obviously not any more but some of the newer ones are good too.

A great record. So what if it's not really live?

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Love it a tour de force majeure
    fixed that for you

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    A great record. So what if it's not really live?
    Well, that doesn't make it a lesser album for sure, but why the lie ? I don't have a source for this but I once read it reported that the band claimed "Ricochet" was compiled from dozens of hours of live recordings from the tour, which suggested the tantalising notion that a number of different performances had been professionally recorded. It was also suggested that the reason why none of them had been released was that somehow Chris Franke had kept them and wouldn't return them to Edgar Froese. Not sure there's ANY truth in any of this.

As regards other albums, I'm ready to believe "Monolight" is live (there's a few bum notes played by the Minimoog that they wouldn't have left in had it been re-done in the studio), and "Cherokee Lane" with the spoken intro (from Washington DC I believe) is made to sound like it's live, but I'm prepared to believe some of it isn't as it's so perfect. It may well be that, as turns out to be the case with "Ricochet", it's a studio recreation of a recurring section of their live shows on the tour.

I'm in the middle of reading Edgar Froese's book, and it's not clear whether they carried with them the equipment needed to make professional multi-track recordings of their shows. Edgar seems to imply that "Encore" is a genuine 100% live recording but we know that to be untrue, if only for the "Oedipus Tyrannus" bit.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos