- Roger Meakin / vocals
    - Kim Moore / vocals
    - Bruno Libert / keyboards
    - Gino Malisan / bass
    - Tony Malisan / drums
    - Raymond Vincent / 1st violin
    - Godfrey Salmon / 2nd violin
    - Timothy Kraemer / cello

Here is what Gatot Widayandato (Indonesia) had to say about it on ProgArchives
    I have never been a big fan of The Beatles but of course I knew some of their songs. When I heard ELEANOR RIGBY performed by ESPERANTO - it blew me at first listening! Wow!! What a wonderful and neat arrangement this band has made. The intro part (keyboard sound without other instruments) reminds me to EARTH and FIRE's "To The World Of The Future" but it's totally different thing when all instruments are played together. It's so uplifting and full of energy that even I could not remember the original melody of the song, really. The arrangement really struck me. I love the domination of violin and cello in this arrangement. Even, having heard various versions of ELEANOR RIGBY to-date, I still consider that the one produced by ESPERANTO is THE BEST! The second version that I like is the one performed by my home country rock band GOD BLESS in their debut album 1976.

For those of you who never heard any music of this band, I want to brief you the kind of music they play. It's actually tough to describe any association or reference of "the like" about their music. Definitely it is NOT like KANSAS (violin-based prog rock) or RENAISSANCE (female vocal). Probably, I would describe it "similar" (not really) with Dutch's EARTH and FIRE. The only difference is in the heavy violin and cello that ESPERANTO uses. Hope you can picture the music of the band in your mind. Well, if in 70's prog we knew the name of VAN der GRAAFF GENERATOR who experimented with saxophone to replace guitar, ESPERANTO was the one who replaced guitar with violins and cellos. It's a great experimentation.

I first knew the band from this album. Later, I found out the two previous albums of this MULTI NATIONAL band. Yeah, they are all citizens of the world with different nationality: English (Timothy Kraemer and Geoffrey Salmon), Belgian (Raymond Vincent and Bruno Libert), Belgian/Italian ( Gino & Tony Malisan). Well, music is universal man ..!

I enjoy every track of this album. It has a very strong songwriting and musicianship. Having considered these only, it's enough for me to forget the mediocre sound production (hey, it's 1975 man .. don't expect too much!). I consider this album is legendary and MUST HAVE for any of you really want to explore various kinds of prog.

"Still Life" is an energetic song with great blend of violin and bass guitar sounds at the intro part. The upbeat tempo is combined nicely with female vocal voice and great piano fills. Violins and cellos accentuate the textures of the song.
    "Painted Lady" is a relatively short song (3:26) with poppy touch. The beauty is that it does not flow as typical pop song, it's a little bit heavier. This track has little touch of violins / cellos, only at the interlude. Keyboard flows with the music. "Obsession" is a relatively slow tempo song with great vocals. The keyboard sound plays nicely at background to form a sort of orchestration. Very enjoyable. I especially like the orchestration by violins and cellos in the middle of the song.

"The Rape" is an epic (12:07) that is my second favorite after "Eleanor Rigby". The arrangement is so powerful. The intro part reminds me to KANSAS, actually, but not really when the music flows to the body of the song. This is accentuated with a ELP-like keyboard play. The violin and cello orchestration has enriched the composition of intro part. Very very interesting intro. I used to play my stereo set loud during this intro to create a symphonic nuances of listening pleasure. Observe when the vocal part enters the play (followed by dazzling violin & cello sound)! It's stunning!!! The melody changed dramatically (with smooth transition!) when the RICK WAKEMAN-like keyboard sound starts to roll in. Ghusszzz ... so beautiful!

"Last Tango" is a piano-based song with excellent vocal and melody. This track is well positioned to conclude the album. The violin and cello are used sparingly in this track. Really cool. Oh man .. don't waste your time reading my review! Just PURCHASE the CD and enjoy yourself! You would hardly regret with this record. I'm not that naïve if I give this album with FIVE STAR as this is a masterpiece.

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

The band's history according to Si Wan's boxset

It all started at the end of '71 when the Belgian violinist Raymond Vincent, leader of the Wallace Collection wanted to embark on a more adventurous musical endeavour (in spite of his surprising predilection for hard rock) after his band had broken up. After playing for a short period with Dany Lademancher and Roger Wollaert (who had left Kleptomania), then with Dirk Bogaert (of Waterloo), he got in touch with Bruno Libert who was completing his musicology studies and playing piano every night in Brussel's theatres that were putting on "off Broadway" musicals, which were quite fashionable at the time. Raymond told Bruno about his new project and showed him some musical ideas. He also played him a promotional album, Metronomics, that he had written for an advertising campaign. The two musicians agreed to launch the project and started to look for other musicians. They discovered the Malisan brothers, two Italo-Belgians of the Mons area: Gino, bass player and Tony, drummer. They started to rehearse in the back room of a small cafe, wrote a series of new numbers and recorded a first demo-tape at "Cathy" studio in the Brabant Wallon region, owned at the time by Marc Aryan (Belgian singer successful at the beginning of the 70s).

The four musicians took their demo to England, where they met David Mackay who had produced the Wallace Collection and The New Seekers and later produced part of Esperanto's first album. David was interested by the project and agreed to recruit more musicians in order to strengthen the line-up which was quite limited on the first demo (violin, piano and Hammond organ, bass and drums). Soon, he contacted Glenn Shorrock, an Australian singer who was living in London at the time and had left his group, the Twilights. David also played a series of records from his collection to the musicians to try to find female singers. Raymond and Bruno were immediately convinced that Cliff Richard's trio of backing singers would fit the bill. David set up an appointment with Joy Yates, Janice Slater and Bridget Dudoit (who had released a record under the name of Bones) and easily convinced them to join the group as they were quite enthusiastic. The band was also looking for a guitarist and more string players in order to form a quartet. David Mackay found Brian Holloway, an Australian guitar player. As he regularly conducted recording sessions in London studios, it was also easy for David to assemble a modern-sounding string section, unlike Belgian strings which tended to sound more classical. A second violin (Godfrey Salmon), a viola (Tony Harris) and a cello (Timothy Kraemer) joined Esperanto and the first line-up was ready.

The producer rented a farm for several weeks in Cornwall and the twelve musicians, some of whom barely knew each other, or having just met, began to rehearse. The results were excellent. The group then moved to a farm in Houyet, in Belgium, to further work on the repertoire. They went back to London, and David Mackay took everybody to Morgan studios to record the first album. Several new pieces were written, among which "Black Widow" and "Publicity", which would be released as a single but was not included on the first album. After the recording, the producer went in search of a contract. Polydor was quite enthusiastic about the music but, because of a small disagreement on contract details, the negotiations failed and the contract was never signed. In fact Polydor did invest in another group which had quite a career: Slade. Finally, after months of prospection and a meeting with Herb Alpert and Jerry Moss, a contract was finally signed for three albums with A&M. The first album "Esperanto Rock Orchestra" was released in 1973.

Contacts were then established with tour managers and Esperanto began a series of concerts, first in England, as supporting act for Sha na na (also with A&M at the time), playing gigs at the Roudhouse, the Shaw Theatre, the Rainbow, the Queen Elizabeth Hall in London, but also in Newcastle, Manchester, Liverpool, etc. The tour was difficult to handle for the band, as the public of Sha na na was not really that of Esperanto and, in spite of an acerbic article published in the famous "Melody Maker", which called them "pseudo-hippies", it went on in Europe, this time with the Strawbs The band also made a series of live recordings for the RAI in Rome, Naples and Turin which were broadcast on the Italian television. Esperanto did however not know the sales figures of their album and had to rely on the reactions of the public to evaluate their success.

Back in England, the twelve musicians met up again, this time in a castle in Wales, and started to prepare the next album. The band always had to meet in farms and castles because of the large number of musicians and of the logistic difficulties of gathering the whole crowd in London. The Welsh castle was of course haunted and its strange atmosphere permeated the music of what would become the band's second album (featuring a track called "The Castle"). After several weeks of rehearsals, the group recorded the first tapes and made an acetate which they presented to A&M, but the project was rejected by the record company. The situation then became difficult in the band, Glenn Shorrock, hit by nostalgia, decided to go back to Australia (he was well inspired as he later became very successful, notably in the United States, with Little River Band). A&M then asked Peter Sinfield (poet and song writer for King Crimson and ELP, and translator of Premiata Forniera Marconi's work - PFM) to produce the new album. Peter accepted and brought with him a new singer: Keith Christmas. Keith Christmas, who had a career as a solo singer afterwards, had a very different style and was more folk music oriented but he did take over from Glenn Shorrock as the front man. A new demo was then presented to A&M with different or rearranged pieces sang by Keith Christmas (on the acetate it was Glenn Shorrock - there are also unpublished pieces on this re-release). This time, A&M endorsed it. The three singers were still in the band but they were soon to leave, as would Brian Holloway, which explains why these four members of Esperanto are not (even though they play on the album) in the picture on the backsleeve of "Danse Macabre".

The second Esperanto record, "Danse Macabre", was released in 1974. If, on the first album, the band was obviously in search of its style, with pop, rock, classical and progressive influences, this new opus was much more homogenous, progressive, with a quite brooding atmosphere. The Welsh climate and the haunted castle had a great influence on the musicians and permeated Esperanto's music. It is worth noting that the album was released in France without the piece "Danse Macabre" as the Saint-Saëns copyright-owners refused to agree to its publication in that country. Peter Sinfield put so much energy into the making of this album that he later declared in an interview that he declined an offer to produce the first Supertramp album after the Esperanto experience.

The line-up of Esperanto changed considerably for the third album. Keith Christmas had left for musical reasons and the band was looking for a more energetic front man. They met this time in London and published some ads in the music press, including in the Melody Maker (Genesis had recruited Steve Hackett through that channel). Esperanto auditioned and took on board their next singer Roger Meakin. His special vocal timbre made him an ideal partner for Kim Moore, female singer recruited in the same way, as their voices blended perfectly. The recording of the third album took place partly in London and partly at the famous chateau of Herouville near Paris where Jethro Tull, Elton John and many others recorded in the seventies. The album "Last Tango" was produced by Robin Geoffrey Cable (engineer and producer, notably for Queen, Genesis, Van Der Graaf Generator, Elton John and Carly Simon). It was released in 1975.

This time, the group seemed to have found its musical and personnel equilibrium and the tour which followed was very successful. They played at numerous famous festivals, including Reading, Newcastle and Bilzen among other engagements. The band also had a residence at the Marquee: an Esperanto concert was automatically programmed every 10 to 15 days in the famous London club for several months. The European tours were also quite successful, with memorable concerts at the Paradiso in Amsterdam and at the Festival de Montreux (Switzerland), with PFM.

Although the band seemed to have found its cruising speed and success was obviously on the horizon (they were still in complete ignorance of sales figures), A&M did not renew their contract. Esperanto band members were flabbergasted as they knew their music had real appeal, particularly given the growing success of their concerts. One of the negative factors was that situation in England in 1973-1974.

Esperanto was probably also a victim of it's formula as, even with a reduced line-up on the last album, it still had eight musicians and large technical staff who had to be housed, fed and watered. The cost of touring was very high and the technical problems linked to this sophisticated musical genre necessitated a lot of complex equipment for the era (difficulties of amplifying strings mixed with electronic instruments, etc.). The band was thus expensive to run and, as it is often the case, the law of immediate profits justified A&M's decision and overruled artistic quality.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Banned
    Now this featured album is more than just a little intriguing and listening to the cut "Still Life" makes me want to explore further. Nice use of the violin and I like the vocal colorings as well. I see that they are described as "Eclectic Prog" on PA, which puts in mildly for sure. I also noticed that Glenn Shorrock did backing vocals on their previous release, Danse Macabre. Quite a multi-national ensemble they were.

Thanks for this one, Trane. Nice.

"The Rape" is good, the rest is - well - fair. I like it better than the wholly uneven debut, but Danse Macabre was their one truly solid album. They almost come across as the missing fourth Monkman-outing with Curved Air there.

And I really wish it wouldn't have started with their take on "Eleanor Rigby". I'd rather have that one left out altogether. Something about it reminds me vaguely of the James Last Orchestra, and that can't possibly be a great thing.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    "The Rape" is good, the rest is - well - fair. I like it better than the wholly uneven debut, but Danse Macabre was their one truly solid album. They almost come across as the missing fourth Monkman-outing with Curved Air there.

And I really wish it wouldn't have started with their take on "Eleanor Rigby". I'd rather have that one left out altogether. Something about it reminds me vaguely of the James Last Orchestra, and that can't possibly be a great thing.

You mean the "King of Corn" and his dozens of non-stop dancing albums ? That analogy would tend to lessen one's interest in their music. I started to shy away from it myself when I saw "Eleanor Rigby" as the lead off cut, but when listening to the other songs I decided that it might be a better version that other covers I have heard of that Beatles classic. I will have to give it a listen. Danse Macabre does sound interesting as well, based on the reviews and your recommendation.

I'm old, but in the 70's when this came out, I saw this LP and Danse Macabre, but for whatever reasons never bought either of them, nor did my prog-rock buddies at the time, so I was never exposed to them, if I had bought them, I'm quite sure I would have loved them, bur (listing to them now on YouTube) I've sort of evolved away and not much interested. Most of what we like is based on timing and I just missed this boat..

But I def. see (hear) why people would like it!
    Last edited by Mythos; 08-11-2020 at 09:32 AM.

"The Rape" is good, the rest is - well - fair. I like it better than the wholly uneven debut, but Danse Macabre was their one truly solid album.
    Not sure I've heard anything by this band. I sampled the stuff above, and I also like The Rape, but found the other stuff pretty "meh." I'll check out Danse Macabre.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    You mean the "King of Corn" and his dozens of non-stop dancing albums?
    Well, I'm not really saying it sounds like the JLO, just that the approach to adaptation has an obvious kitschy taint to it which I'm really not too much in favour of. A cover version should either transform the original by demonstrating a completely different perspective on execution and arrangement, or it should pay homage through some level of perfectionist interpretation or reworking. The concept here is rather to simply reproduce its instrumental aspect through similar application of strings. IMO, of course.

Danse Macabre is a more elaborate and intriguing work overall and also features their strongest melodies. As I hear it.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    I started to shy away from it myself when I saw "Eleanor Rigby" as the lead off cut, but when listening to the other songs I decided that it might be a better version that other covers I have heard of that Beatles classic. I will have to give it a listen. Danse Macabre does sound interesting as well, based on the reviews and your recommendation.
    I agree that's not of those case that would find a space on the "Bad Choice For An Opening Track" thread....

Which is why I put it in the second post, past the other YT samples.

However, I think this is one of the (if not "THE") most adventurous and bold attemp at covering Rigby.

I could never really get into this band. Maybe if they sang in Esperanto...
    The Prog Corner

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I agree that's not of those case that would find a space on the "Bad Choice For An Opening Track" thread....

Which is why I put it in the second post, past the other YT samples.

However, I think this is one of the (if not "THE") most adventurous and bold attemp at covering Rigby.
    I just listened to the Eleanor Rigby sample (after you pointed out the second post that I missed) and, YIKES! I would say that your description of their version is an understatement; it is definitely way out there and beyond bold improvisation. It's is hard to pick up the Lennon/McCartney melody that exists in the original and every other version I have heard. They just take it way over the top and down the other side. I do concur with SS in that it doesn't go with the rest of the albums content, but I do appreciate their imaginative take on this Beatle tune.

The only other prog related version I have heard is at a live concert by Ides Of March several years ago in suburban Chicago. Jim Peterik, founder of that band, is a Prog enthusiast and he arranged a 15 minute version just after the break in the middle of playing their hits and it was quite energetic and well done itself. Mainly solos from the band members, including the brass section as they plied their way through ER.

I bought Danse Macabre back when it came out, and thought it was pretty good. Got the other two albums and didn't like them. Eventually I parted with all three LP's, though I put Danse on a cassette. Flash forward to the early 90's, and I got the Si-Wan CD of Danse Macabre, and something clicked. Now I really like every track except the initial 10-minute track "The Journey". I've gone back every few years and listened to Last Tango and the first album, but they still do nothing for me. Time for another listen...

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    I bought Danse Macabre back when it came out, and thought it was pretty good. Got the other two albums and didn't like them. Eventually I parted with all three LP's, though I put Danse on a cassette. Flash forward to the early 90's, and I got the Si-Wan CD of Danse Macabre, and something clicked. Now I really like every track except the initial 10-minute track "The Journey". I've gone back every few years and listened to Last Tango and the first album, but they still do nothing for me. Time for another listen...
    I listened to about half of Danse Macabre this afternoon. I liked it, far better than most of what I heard of Last Tango (The Rape being the exception). I'll finish listening tomorrow. I see what you mean about that opening track, it's kind of all over the place. I liked moments, but founds some parts cheesy. Overall, though, I'm liking this one and may grab a copy.

Bill

I like all three Esperanto albums to a degree, but Danse macabre is the only one I love. Agree with others that “The Rape” is the obvious highlight of Last Tango, which seems to presage the Japanese “super-symphonic” sound of the 80s. The violin in particular reminds me of Outer Limits. I rather like their take on “Eleanor Rigby,” but the rest is just...OK. Roger Meakin has this strangulated tone of voice that just does not appeal to me at all (reminds me of Barry Palmer or Jim Diamond in his vocal delivery). Kim Moore is fine if you like low-key alto singing.

As said above, I vastly prefer Danse macabre. It starts out almost like a precursor to Univers Zéro and, while it does not retain that level of intensity, it is still excellent throughout. I have the CD with bonus tracks and let me tell you, it’s a shame the “acetate” version never happened. Keith Christmas is fine, but the original versions of the pieces with Glenn Shorrock and the female vocal trio are a revelation.

That first album is weird. It’s like someone took a rather mainstream 70s rock band (think Three Dog Night with female members) and dropped a Bartók string quartet smack dab in the middle. Some of the songs are interesting, and the string players in particular are on fire at points, but the two elements of their sound—rock and neo-classical—do not blend at all. They got the mix right for Danse macabre though, I am pleased to say.
    Last edited by Progbear; 08-11-2020 at 04:47 PM.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Well if RYM both albums' respective ratings are dead on equal, on ProgArchives, LT gets a the nod by a fair margin.

BTW, I agree that the first one is a weird unfinished (half-baked) piece

In between Wallace Collection and Esperanto, Raymond Vincent made a solo album called Metronomics in 1972.

An uneven melting pot affair (including a ragtime piece) and not always good, but in some spots, everything you hear in Esperanto is already there
    Last edited by Trane; 08-15-2020 at 05:05 AM.

Danse Macabre is by far their best album. The other two are rather mediocre.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Surprised this hasn’t come up yet:

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Surprised this hasn’t come up yet:
    Pretty awful (not the girl)... but this version was a minor hit in France and helped the composer (Raymond Vincent) to survive financially since the sales of the Esperanto albums were rather poor.

Well if RYM both albums' respective ratings are dead on equal, on ProgArchives, LT gets a the nod by a fair margin.

BTW, I agree that the first one is a weird unfinished (half-baked) piece

In between Wallace Collection and Esperanto, Raymond Vincent made a solo album called Metronomics in 1972.

An uneven melting pot affair (including a ragtime piece) but everything you hear in Esperanto is already there
    OMG ! I have this (quite rare) LP but only listened it once. Nothing to save in it (unless you like overly kitsch and dated music), and maybe THIS could be more fairly compared to the James Last Orchestra. And I must disagree, this is absolutely NOT representative of the music of Esperanto to come, which goes much further (especially in the two first reccords). Sorry, but I can't hear anything even remotely prefiguring Danse Macabre in Metronomics. I allways had the impression that Raymond Vincent (the band's leader) was responsible of the more cheesy/easy going parts in Esperanto and desperately sought to recreate the worldwide hit of his previous band (Wallace Collection/Daydream). In some way he succeeded since the last tittle track (Last Tango) cover by the french female singer Sylvie Vartan was a minor hit in Europe. Nothing to be proud of (artistically). Esperanto had great potential and very competent musicians but unfortunately missed the bandwagon for many reasons, they (and Wallace Collection) had all the right ingredients and sound which made E.L.O so successful later. R.V never overcame this (relative) failure, entirely retired from the music scene and sank into a deep depression who lasted until the end of his life (deceased in 2018, RIP). Very sad...
    All three Esperanto records (including the last one) are worth exploring (and owning), they had a unique sound and some very interesting parts. And (I.M.O) their cover of Eleanor Rigby is a real killer, most likely the better version of this song ever recorded.
    Last edited by Mr.Krautman; 08-12-2020 at 04:13 AM.

Love it

Esperanto's Last Tango has a special spot in my heart - it was my first "obscure" prog album. Middle school years, was already into prog, but only knew the main bands - Yes, Genesis, ELP, etc... But of course, the older brother of a fellow fan was more experienced in the style. He provided a cassette to my friend, who shared it with me - I remember it well... One side was "Last Tango" (the other was Banco's Canto Di Primavera). I was bowled over... I mean the mainstream proggers were quirky enough... but this... the voice... the string arrangements... the chutzpah of closing the album with what is actually a very proper French Tango song... what some call cheese, I call courage... whatever its merits or demerits, it's a personal favorite...

v
    Last edited by vmartell; 08-14-2020 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    OMG ! I have this (quite rare) LP but only listened it once. Nothing to save in it (unless you like overly kitsch and dated music), and maybe THIS could be more fairly compared to the James Last Orchestra. And I must disagree, this is absolutely NOT representative of the music of Esperanto to come, which goes much further (especially in the two first reccords). Sorry, but I can't hear anything even remotely prefiguring Danse Macabre in Metronomics. I allways had the impression that Raymond Vincent (the band's leader) was responsible of the more cheesy/easy going parts in Esperanto and desperately sought to recreate the worldwide hit of his previous band (Wallace Collection/Daydream). In some way he succeeded since the last tittle track (Last Tango) cover by the french female singer Sylvie Vartan was a minor hit in Europe. Nothing to be proud of (artistically). Esperanto had great potential and very competent musicians but unfortunately missed the bandwagon for many reasons, they (and Wallace Collection) had all the right ingredients and sound which made E.L.O so successful later. R.V never overcame this (relative) failure, entirely retired from the music scene and sank into a deep depression who lasted until the end of his life (deceased in 2018, RIP). Very sad...
    All three Esperanto records (including the last one) are worth exploring (and owning), they had a unique sound and some very interesting parts. And (I.M.O) their cover of Eleanor Rigby is a real killer, most likely the better version of this song ever recorded.

Yeahn, comparisons with ELO are in order, but TBH, I prefer Esperanto, especially when they're dark.

As for Metronomics, yeah, it's awful in parts (I corrected my sentence you quoted, because it could've been better worded), but the tracks starting at 9:40 until 14:30 (called Isabelle) has definitely got some Esperanto leanings and the other starting at 18:40 (couldn't make out its title, because the track listing below the YT sample are not in the right order) and the one starting at 28:30 (Do It While You Can) are also prefiguring the topic's subject.

But yeah, there is some embarassing RV stuff on the album.

===================

Can you expand on James Last Orchestra, please?

All I remember is that I hated their cover of "Eleanor Rigby". IMO it was overdone and even sounded self-conscious to my ears. Other than that, I liked this album as well as Danse Macabre for a while, but both failed the test of time for me.
    "I tah dah nur!" - Ike

Can you expand on James Last Orchestra, please?
    You’d have to ask Europeans for more info, but it’s “easy listening” orchestral stuff, as I understand it. The “prog” connection is that various members of the sometimes-prog band Lucifer’s Friend moonlit in Last’s orchestra. I believe the brass and strings from Last’s orchestra played on Banquet, and I know that multi-instrumentalist Karl-Hermann Lüer—who played on Mind Exploding—was a member of Last’s orchestra.

And it doesn’t end there. The instrumental unit did a whole ton of exploitation albums under fake names for the Europa label to earn extra scratch. Singer John Lawton picked up a few coins as a member of the Les Humphries Singers, a cheesy schlager “gospel” choral group. They even did Eurovision. That’s Lawton in the spangled blue jacket!

Does anyone know how to make warding signs against evil spirits?

Banned
    James Last was sort of a European version of Lawrence Welk, although Last's orchestra produced literally scores of albums that reportedly sold worldwide in the in the area of 200 million units. He would grab onto whatever the latest popular music fad of the day embraced and would make an orchestrated version of it. Get this; he made albums entitled "Humba Humba À Gogo", "Hair", "Beachparty", "Polka Party" and "James Last Plays ABBA" (oh my gosh ). He also charted with a single version of CCR's "Proud Mary".

When asked if he resented being labelled the "King of Corn" (also referred to as "king of elevator music" and "acoustic porridge"), he replied "No, because it is true." So, at least there was self-realization.