Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Genesis — Chicago ’78

I saw the 78 tour in Rhode Island and enjoyed it. I was 16 and it was my first time seeing Genesis. I was a tad disappointed that they didn't play Suppers Ready, but otherwise enjoyed the show. I also had a bootleg called "Live From the Mouth of the Monster" of that tour that was a quality recording. Was this the Chicago gig?

^ Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    "Live From the Mouth of the Monster" of that tour that was a quality recording. Was this the Chicago gig?
    It appears to be: https://www.reddit.com/r/Genesis/com...f_the_monster/

and the Genesis Movement has it listed with a few other titles if you scroll down to 13-Oct-1978 https://www.genesis-movement.org/php...9&username=all
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pbs1902; 06-17-2021 at 09:35 AM.

Saw that tour in Milwaukee. I fell asleep. I don't think I even heard a guitar all night. I know Daryl Stuermer is a great player but I guess I was missing Steve way too much...
    The Prog Corner

I saw the 78 tour in Rhode Island and enjoyed it. I was 16 and it was my first time seeing Genesis. I was a tad disappointed that they didn't play Suppers Ready, but otherwise enjoyed the show. I also had a bootleg called "Live From the Mouth of the Monster" of that tour that was a quality recording. Was this the Chicago gig?
    Yea, From The Mouth Of A Monster is the Uptown Theater show. I actually used to see that one (along with with a few others like Revelatory Genesis, Awed Man Out, and Swelled And Spent) at the record stores in my area back in the 80's, but never bought any of them. Eventually, I got cassettes of From The Mouth Of A Monster and a few years. Much later, I got a double CD of the full Uptown Theater gig, which turns out to have a few songs that weren't on From The Mout Of The Monster, and some of them are in a different order too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    PC is on record that they have recordings of many of the tours. I really wish they would clean up and release some of them.
    Always has been hard to understand why they didn’t release full shows from their tours. Perhaps they feel enough has been released and there wouldn’t be much of a market for them. Many shows across multiple tours had multi-track revordings. Just look at the Archive 2 liner notes for the source recordings.

Monster was the very first genesis bootleg that I bought. Still have it somewhere. Much better versions of that show emerged in later years …. all freely traded. Best version is probably the TM Productions version. Certainly not official release quality, but still pretty good.

I can probably answer any questions regarding Genesis vinyl bootlegs. I've been collecting them for over 40 years and have a title or 2 that you've never heard of. Feel free to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
    Always has been hard to understand why they didn’t release full shows from their tours. Perhaps they feel enough has been released and there wouldn’t be much of a market for them. Many shows across multiple tours had multi-track revordings. Just look at the Archive 2 liner notes for the source recordings.
    Well, given they were never a jamming or improv based band (beyond jamming in the rehearsal room to come up with material), they probably reckon there isn't much point to it. Their point of view is probably, "How many near identical versions of Los Endos does the official catalog need). I remember reading back int he 80's that Jimmy Page felt that the "definitive" Led Zeppelin live album existed in teh world of bootlegs, and the fans could find it if they wanted to look for it. Maybe the Genesis guys feel the same way, i.e. "You want something more than what's on Genesis Live, Second's Out, or Three Sides Live? Buy the bootlegs!"

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Maybe the Genesis guys feel the same way, i.e. "You want something more than what's on Genesis Live, Second's Out, or Three Sides Live? Buy the bootlegs!"
    I think they've said so over the years. Except for "buy" which is a poor choice of words because bootlegs should always be free or traded but not bought. As far as I know, a site like The Movement which has all the Genesis bootlegs as digital files available for trading exists with the band's blessing.

I would definitely buy official releases of full shows but I can see how they would feel it's not necessary since everything's already out there and available if you want it. Having said that, it's clear they are sitting on multitracks that have never been released in full and would sound better than any soundboard or radio broadcast currently available.

I was offered a chance to see this tour in Chicago, and I can't for the life of me remember why I didn't go. I don't think it was because of the absence of Hackett, but I have to admit that, in listening to this boot, from the opening minute of Eleventh Earl and the guitar glisses (played very competently by Stuermer), his presence is sorely missed. IMO, others' mileage, etc.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    PC is on record that they have recordings of many of the tours. I really wish they would clean up and release some of them.
    The download link below is a screen-save of the list of recordings Genesis have at The Farm.
    It's almost 20 years old and was on the old official website forum before it went behind the paywall.
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/7y3i5...tapes.htm/file
    The surge in expectations at the time, that they would be cleaned up and issued to a "collectors club", were soon extinguished by lack of interest by the band.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarr73729 View Post
    The download link below is a screen-save of the list of recordings Genesis have at The Farm.
    It's almost 20 years old and was on the old official website forum before it went behind the paywall.
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/7y3i5...tapes.htm/file
    The surge in expectations at the time, that they would be cleaned up and issued to a "collectors club", were soon extinguished by lack of interest by the band.
    Ok thanks. I was listening to a genesis concert on YT the other day, and yes they don’t really improvise much, but there are songs that the official albums don’t have.

I think the second Archive box was a real missed opportunity to deal with this sort of stuff. It was a disc shorter than the 1967-75 set and I'm not sure why. They had far more material to use!

I'd have put the non-album studio tracks on one disc (what was included fits on one...with room for 'Match Of The Day' as well). On another disc I'd have put the stray live tracks. I wouldn't include some of the 1980 live tracks there, because discs 3/4 I'd have given over to the entire 1980 Lyceum show. So you'd be able to fit a few extra things like 'Eleventh Earl Of Mar', 'White Mountain', 'Keep It Dark' etc. on the other 'stray tracks' live disc.

My approach would admittedly have excluded the 12" mixes...not sure if they had been on CD before this.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    I was offered a chance to see this tour in Chicago, and I can't for the life of me remember why I didn't go. I don't think it was because of the absence of Hackett, but I have to admit that, in listening to this boot, from the opening minute of Eleventh Earl and the guitar glisses (played very competently by Stuermer), his presence is sorely missed. IMO, others' mileage, etc.
    For me, 'Eleventh Earl...' is better here than the versions with Hackett. Not because of the guitar but because of the arrangement. I really like the slower tempo of the intro and the extra bit at the end.

Well, given they were never a jamming or improv based band (beyond jamming in the rehearsal room to come up with material), they probably reckon there isn't much point to it. Their point of view is probably, "How many near identical versions of Los Endos does the official catalog need). I remember reading back int he 80's that Jimmy Page felt that the "definitive" Led Zeppelin live album existed in teh world of bootlegs, and the fans could find it if they wanted to look for it. Maybe the Genesis guys feel the same way, i.e. "You want something more than what's on Genesis Live, Second's Out, or Three Sides Live? Buy the bootlegs!"
    Probably true. I recall TB saying at the time of the remixes that releasing the 1973 version of Suppers Ready from Live was pointless since the same set included the song from Rainbow. Irritating to completists I suppose, but not unreasonable. I would like to have seen them release a full show from each tour as the songs did vary somewhat from tour to tour, but such is life. They did release something like 13 CDs worth of live stuff, so probably should not complain LOL. Plus, some of the better boots actually sound pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I think the second Archive box was a real missed opportunity to deal with this sort of stuff. It was a disc shorter than the 1967-75 set and I'm not sure why. They had far more material to use!

I'd have put the non-album studio tracks on one disc (what was included fits on one...with room for 'Match Of The Day' as well). On another disc I'd have put the stray live tracks. I wouldn't include some of the 1980 live tracks there, because discs 3/4 I'd have given over to the entire 1980 Lyceum show. So you'd be able to fit a few extra things like 'Eleventh Earl Of Mar', 'White Mountain', 'Keep It Dark' etc. on the other 'stray tracks' live disc.

My approach would admittedly have excluded the 12" mixes...not sure if they had been on CD before this..
    Fully agree! Archive 2 was probably the biggest ‘miss’ for me. Loved Archive 1 and assumed they’d take the same approach with 2. Two discs of misc, stuff and then a complete show. Lyceum probably the best option, though I’d have been able to live with Rainbow 77.

When the band decided to go with somewhat intricate light shows, it precluded the possibility of improv and changing up parts of their songs. I've read where they've said that, but can't provide a link. I read it long before there was such a thing as a link. Everything was timed and meant to function like a Swiss clock.

I know they were doing shows with no improv long before the lights became an issue.

Probably true. I recall TB saying at the time of the remixes that releasing the 1973 version of Suppers Ready from Live was pointless since the same set included the song from Rainbow. Irritating to completists I suppose, but not unreasonable.
    Undoubtedly true of the original Archive box, but they could have put it in its rightful place on the remix of Live within the SACD/DVD box. Instead seemingly random tracks from Shrine '75 were used.

Fans are definitely fortunate that so many complete Genesis shows- usually at least one from most tours, 1974 onwards- were recorded for radio. Until recently, I didn't realise Yes were so poorly represented in that regard during the 80s/90s.

Fully agree! Archive 2 was probably the biggest ‘miss’ for me. Loved Archive 1 and assumed they’d take the same approach with 2. Two discs of misc, stuff and then a complete show. Lyceum probably the best option, though I’d have been able to live with Rainbow 77.
    I have a lot of issues with how the original Archive box turned out (mostly on The Lamb...), but on paper, it looks great. Archive 2, less so. It still has great things on it but even then, the sequencing is somewhat bizarre.
    Last edited by JJ88; 06-20-2021 at 02:50 AM.

The Knife was as close to "jamming" as they got.. I think it was in Armando's book where he talks of it being stretched to 45 minutes some nights.

Well, given they were never a jamming or improv based band (beyond jamming in the rehearsal room to come up with material), they probably reckon there isn't much point to it.
    Yeah, some people claim that The Waiting Room is a jam (or at least started out as one), but that sounds too written for me to be one.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    The Knife was as close to "jamming" as they got.. I think it was in Armando's book where he talks of it being stretched to 45 minutes some nights.
    let alone the Going Out To Get You often over 20 minutes.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Until recently, I didn't realise Yes were so poorly represented in that regard during the 80s/90s.
    Genesis would have been poorly represented on 80s Radio Shows if they hadn't switched to Pop.

^Well, the comparison was with 80s/90s Yes in the first place- a time when some here think Yes also 'went pop'. So I'm not sure that's a valid claim. (Plus, Yes are represented by classic radio broadcasts from the 70s- Boston 1974, Roosevelt Stadium 1976, Wembley 1978 etc. The 80s and 90s, not so much.)

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Yeah, some people claim that The Waiting Room is a jam (or at least started out as one), but that sounds too written for me to be one.
    It was taken in a different direction live. There are versions in the European shows- such as Wembley and Liverpool- which are completely different to the studio one. The earlier Shrine version is similar to the studio one.
    Last edited by JJ88; 06-20-2021 at 07:43 AM.

I have a lot of issues with how the original Archive box turned out (mostly on The Lamb...), but on paper, it looks great. Archive 2, less so. It still has great things on it but even then, the sequencing is somewhat bizarre.
    Shame, in retrospect, that they apparently were unaware of the empire pool multitracks at the time of Archive 1. EP is a much better show IMO … well, the bits I have heard. Full show would have been nice. I find the overdubs on shrine less egregious than some, and an acceptable ‘price’ for the vastly superior sound quality. TM productions of Empire Pool is close, but incomplete. When I play Shrine, I usually insert the EP version of Waiting Room.

Yes I'd agree. Much later in the tour, so they are more comfortable with the material and as such taking more chances with it. A shame the whole Wembley multi-track isn't circulating.