Thread: Who wrote the liner notes for GG & F's "Brondesbury Tapes"?

Who wrote the liner notes for GG & F's "Brondesbury Tapes"?

When I saw that Judy Dyble had died, I pulled this CD out last night. The booklet has a wonderful biography/essay, credited to "MDE". Anybody know who that is? Incidentally, there is a separate section at the end of the booklet by Peter Giles, which describes the overdub process they used.

I listened to the first Fairport Convention album for the first time in many years for the same reason. Judy certainly had a lovely voice.

Always assumed the notes were all by Peter Giles, from his very detailed diaries.

Yes, in fact I saw on Amazon "liner notes by Peter Giles". However, the essay always mentions Peter Giles in the third person, the writing style is quite different in the two sections, and there's that "-MDE 2001" at the end of the first section and "-Peter Giles" at the end of the second section, separated by the track listing pages. Anybody here in contact with Sid?

Strangely enough I pulled this off the shelf just 30 mins ago with the intention of playing it this evening in recognition of Judy's wonderful contribution to folk / progressive music and its community. Never heard the "official" GGF album, which does not have Judy and, from hearsay, is not so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Perry View Post
    Never heard the "official" GGF album, which does not have Judy and, from hearsay, is not so good.
    The playing and production are actually very good, considering the year it was made and how fringe GG&F were. But the songs and overall thrust of the album, yeah... your mileage will definitely vary! It's safe to say only hardcore KC/Fripp fans should seek it out. But it has the ability to plant earworms in your brain. You just may not want them!
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    It's safe to say only hardcore KC/Fripp fans should seek it out.
    I would say that apart from the last couple of tracks, there's almost nothing there to appeal specifically to Crimson fans. But it's a really delightful psych-pop album, with hints of mid-'60s Kinks and early Bee Gees, or even a touch of Syd-era Floyd.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I would say that apart from the last couple of tracks, there's almost nothing there to appeal specifically to Crimson fans.
    Dunno 'bout that. I re-listened to "Happy Family" from Cirkus recently and felt that one could draw a line from that back to GG&F, so IMO there is a strain of GG&F music that occasionally crept into latter-day KC.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by keithmaclroz View Post
    Never knew who wrote it, now I will know. Thanks to the Internet I always find new things and quite useful which I would like to have learned in school. I even learned by myself how to write an essay properly by using an editing service which I chose after reading the EssayEdge reviews. I like that I can always speak with the editor in order to see where I should work more to write the essay better next time. And now thanks to it I can write an essay quickly and without mistakes.
    Thanks for finding out for us. Since you now know, who is MDE?
    Last edited by Aggie87; 01-11-2022 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    When I saw that Judy Dyble had died, I pulled this CD out last night. The booklet has a wonderful biography/essay, credited to "MDE". Anybody know who that is? Incidentally, there is a separate section at the end of the booklet by Peter Giles, which describes the overdub process they used.
    When the letters would have been in a different order I would say it stands for Disk and Music Echo, also mentioned in Sid Smith's KC-biography (first edition, page 31).
    https://www.rocksbackpages.com/Libra...and-music-echo