Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Beardfish/Gungfly Challenge

I revisited the first two Gungfly albums Please be quiet and Lamentations this week. While i still think the first is by far the best I liked Lamentation more then I remembered.

Never got the later Gungfly or Rikard solo albums. Worth getting? It sucks they're not on bandcamp.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A405FN met Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I revisited the first two Gungfly albums Please be quiet and Lamentations this week. While i still think the first is by far the best I liked Lamentation more then I remembered.

Never got the later Gungfly or Rikard solo albums. Worth getting? It sucks they're not on bandcamp.

If you are a fan of Rikard's writing (which it seems you are), then I would say yes. Even the title in Swedish called "Att for barn..." is a very cool album...more poppy but it still has that Sjöblom vibe. The Unbendable Sleep is great too, although the production seems to be just slightly 'off' a bit....but the music is cool. The latest 2 are also excellent, some stuff seems like it could have been on one of the last 3 BF albums. These are all on streaming and probably YT as well so you could spin some tunes and see how they are treating you. I think some of those titles are only available in the Rumbling Box set...but of course I am 100% happy I bought that set.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    If you are a fan of Rikard's writing (which it seems you are), then I would say yes. Even the title in Swedish called "Att for barn..." is a very cool album...more poppy but it still has that Sjöblom vibe. The Unbendable Sleep is great too, although the production seems to be just slightly 'off' a bit....but the music is cool. The latest 2 are also excellent, some stuff seems like it could have been on one of the last 3 BF albums. These are all on streaming and probably YT as well so you could spin some tunes and see how they are treating you. I think some of those titles are only available in the Rumbling Box set...but of course I am 100% happy I bought that set.
    The problem is that I am out of cd storage space (We Dutch live in small compact houses and when it comes to a battle for room for my cds or my wives penguin collection I always loose ). I only want to buy cd's for 'essential' releases. Dunno if these Rikard albums are essential enough for me.

Maybe i'll grab them from itunes.

The Unbendable Sleep is excellent IMO, highly recommended to any fan!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I've been in a mood lately because of this thread, and today I spun the two spectacular albums Cyklonmannen and Friendship. Outstanding stuff! What a talent he is.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I just preordered the new Gungfly album in red vinyl! Just 9 more weeks (or so) to go!

Waiting on my review copy, really looking forward to it and to interviewing Rikard about all things GungFish!

New Gungfly album today (Alone Together)....good news!
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

My copy just arrived! On creamy white vinyl, no less.

I've completely dropped the ball on this one. Will remedy that ASAP.
    <sig out of order>

It's a good one.

New Gungfly album today (Alone Together)....good news!
    I went looking on Bandcamp, but...not there.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I don't think there are any releases from the Inside Out label on Bandcamp.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Available on cd, vinyl, streaming sites.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    I don't think there are any releases from the Inside Out label on Bandcamp.
    User friendly.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Now that it's out, what do people here think of it? I'm still really digging it. But I don't think he will ever top The Unbendable Sleep for me! But this is definitely top 10 of the year material. Agree, disagree?

For anyone who didn't catch this interview, it was a great one:

https://www.velvetthunder.co.uk/rika...-and-together/

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Now that it's out, what do people here think of it? I'm still really digging it. But I don't think he will ever top The Unbendable Sleep for me! But this is definitely top 10 of the year material. Agree, disagree?

For anyone who didn't catch this interview, it was a great one:

https://www.velvetthunder.co.uk/rika...-and-together/
    I need more time to absorb it. Friendship took time to hit me, and I think this will too. RS has a more "mature" writing style ( if you will) and personally I miss some of the quirkiness and reckless abandon of the Beardfish days. Having said that, this dude is an amazing talent and he is like a fire hydrant of creativity that can spew seemingly endless amounts of music. So far the album is excellent, and it will probably be in the outstanding category....just need more time.

I need more time to absorb it. Friendship took time to hit me, and I think this will too. RS has a more "mature" writing style ( if you will) and personally I miss some of the quirkiness and reckless abandon of the Beardfish days. Having said that, this dude is an amazing talent and he is like a fire hydrant of creativity that can spew seemingly endless amounts of music. So far the album is excellent, and it will probably be in the outstanding category....just need more time.
    I can see that. Happens all the time anyway, as you well know, with plenty of other musicians. I'm not always (or even often) bowled over by an album on first listen. But it grew on me with each spin... I think the best albums are like that.

Available on cd, vinyl, streaming sites.
    I found a copy. Will have to wait for it.

I've had it on rotation since Friday. It's nice but not bound to become my favourite. I guess I miss the little jazzy bits he usually throws in and I find the growling totally unnecessary in the title track, it ruins it for me (as growling always does). I actually revisited The Unbendable Sleep which had totally passed me by at the time and I like it much more than the new one.

I'm quite happy with Alone Together. I have to admit that I haven't been crazy about Rikard's stuff outside of Beardfish. I feel like his vocals have lost something, though I can't really put my finger on it. Of course, he's getting a bit older and is a smoker, so maybe that has something to do with it but they just seem sort of "flat" to me (not in regards to pitch or anything, of course, just delivery I guess). In any case, this new album seems to have more adventurous vocals than the previous non-Beardfish stuff (though the Gungfly albums while Beardfish was still going are quite good). Musically though, I've enjoyed pretty much everything (Unbendable Sleep being my least favorite of his stuff so far).

Beardfish though, is still my favorite band of the past 20 years (not just prog band, but any band). Rikard is a monster live, as proved by the shows he put on last year at the Proghouse (solo set, sat in with Randy McStein, and the solo/Gungfly set with Robert Hannson on bass!). So I hope to get to see him live again some day. He's also a very nice guy to chat with.

Anyway, the new album seems more adventurous as I said, more similar to Beardfish than the previous Gungfly and solo stuff he's done since that band ended. I'm really digging it.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    When you are done I will see if we can arrange for Rikard to jump out of a cake for you.
    Well, you did your best on that, that's for sure! I guess he balked at the cake idea!

I'm again making progress on the Beardfish catalog. Yesterday I listened to the one that's all in Swedish, and today I'm on to Destined Soliaire, which is quite good. So far what stood out most was the track "Until You Comply/Entropy," with the longish section of very "Echoes" sounding guitar meandering; I loved that part and need to listen to it again before going on to "Mammoth."

I've listened to Mammoth a bit, as I think that was the last one to come out before Beardfish played NEARfest, but I really don't remember it at all, so I'm looking forward to it!

It would be very cool if Rikard would post on here. Has he ever? Maybe he has... Sean, when you do the SOAL interviews, so you extend an invitation to the guests to join us here on PE? It would be cool if they would, especially someone like Rikard, who has a finger in many interesting pies. Hopefully not mom's apple pie!

Markus Reuter would be cool to for similar reasons. But I suppose these guys are very busy. Another thing that would be cool is to do a Reddit style Ask Me Anything chat thing. I remember Tony Levin doing a live chat once, I forget what platform.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    This morning I listened to the two most recent Gungfly albums. This was the second or third listen for each, and both have started to gel well and I'm starting to know the songs better, and I really like both. Beardfish and Gungfly have become my new "comfort" prog, having a warm, familiar sound that's challenging (or just interesting) enough while still being a relative easy listen. Perfect music for a nice morning outside with coffee and a pipe. In fact, you can throw all the good Scandinavian prog in there, especially the sepia-toned stuff, but also the stuff like Beardfish, Gungfly, Motorpsycho, Spidergawd, etc. - the stuff that isn't really sepia-toned is sort of honorary sepia-toned. I need to start putting together a couple of playlists for this stuff as I amass more and more, but if anyone has or knows any good Spotify playlists, please recommend and share. I wish Spotify had playlist or queue functionality.

Seemed like as good a thread as any. Over the past few days I've revisited Alone Together by Gungfly, and it has grown on me quite a bit. I liked it when it came out, but now I really like it. That last track is a killer. I was able to score one of the "creamy white" vinyl LPs upon release, and it's quite beautiful.

Really good album, and I hope Rikard has another one in the pipeline for the not-too-distant future. Puts me in the mood to go back and listen to The Unbendable Sleep and Friendship next.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    Beardfish though, is still my favorite band of the past 20 years (not just prog band, but any band).
    I think I knew this, but maybe not your total fav. It took me too long to get into them, but they are easily a top 10-ish band for me nowadays. I think The Sane Day is truly one of the best albums I've ever heard...its beyond amazing. I'd grab it over some 70s masterpieces if I had to - I think it's that good.

np - Lamentations