Thread: Conrad Schnitzler

Conrad Schnitzler

Hi I have and love Conrad Schnitzler Con on Egg Records
    But never explored any of his other works
    Which ones sound closest to Con or to other releases of his peers in that era ?
    Thanks

Udi, get Slow Motion. It's not really all that like Con, but as with Cluster you'll want to hear his every asset.

Grun and Contempora are very good as well, but different from each other and from Con. You alreaddy heard Asmus Tietchens' Biotop, right? Or that debut Deuter album? These are some of the finest Kraut one-man releases, I think.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

^^ Agreed with every word above. Even the small words like "the" and "to."

Random other selections: I have soft spots for Electronegativity (reissue of T1 from Container), Zug (from the Red cassette, not Rot), and Conal.

If you don't mind a splash or two of twisted pop added to the mix, Con 3 is a borderline desert island disc for me, and Auf Dem Schwarzen Kanal is like an simming, angry Kraftwerk with cold electronics through and through.

Recently Bureau B dropped a pair of archival releases, Filmmusik I and II, both have quite a bit of fine moments. I actually haven't heard Slow Motion but if SS is giving it a thumbs up, it's going on my "hunt down" list

Pro tip though: don't try to be a Schniztler completist.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Or that debut Deuter album?
    I can’t second this recommendation enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    You alreaddy heard Asmus Tietchens' Biotop, right? .
    I remember his debut on Egg Records produced by Peter Baumann in the late 80's
    I just looked him up and realized he has more then one hundred releases
    interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Rye-Ergot View Post
    I can’t second this recommendation enough.
    I remember this one being in Julian Cope;s list
    never got around to checking it (maybe cause he was always filed in my mind as New Age)

The first Deuter is cool.

D. Moebius - Blotch is also cool.

OK. Bye.

Outside this TD and Kluster participations and that Eruption album, I can't remember ever hearing what else he's done.
    Does he still play cello past 75?

BTW, Gnosis has two entries, one starting with a "C" (with an amazing amount of references - 177) and the other (much more popular by the number or ratings, but only three albums) starting with a "K"
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Outside this TD and Kluster participations and that Eruption album, I can't remember ever hearing what else he's done.
    Does he still play cello past 75?
    He abandoned all electronics and released only acoustic cello recordings from 1980 onwards. Rumor has it that he was a shadow session player on the debut Boy George/Culture Club album and inspired his makeup.

Udi - now that I think more on it, I'd throw a bit of love to all five of the Art Gallery compilations (Blue Glow, Electronegativity, Charred Machinery, Control, Convex) as they are basically bite-sized chunks of the best material from the Container "cassette concert" series. Vinyl on Demand also released the full Container some years back but it's kind of pricey, and the extra material not on the Art Gallery releases is...maybe not quite as compelling.

None of them sound quite exactly like Con / Ballet Statique (kind of the funny thing about Schnitzler, no two albums really sound the same but whenever you hear something from him, it really can't be anyone BUT him), but the same fundamental ideas are present.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com