Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 22 Fabulous Rock Films

22 Fabulous Rock Films

Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Surely Stop Making Sense has to be in there, not?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A405FN met Tapatalk

Banned
    "American Graffiti", "Purple Rain", "High Fidelity" and "The Blues Brothers".

"Stop Making Sense", "Don't Look Back", "Tommy", "Bohemian Rhapsody", "Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars", "The Song Remains the Same" and "Heavy Metal".
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    If Detroit Rock City is on the list then Almost Famous is better than that.

Prince: Sign Of The Times

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    "Stop Making Sense", "Don't Look Back", "Tommy", "Bohemian Rhapsody", "Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars", "The Song Remains the Same" and "Heavy Metal".
    Yes

Let's see:

Head
    The Kids Are Alright
    The Grateful Dead Movie
    Stop Making Sense
    The Last Waltz
    Rock And Roll High School
    Help
    A Hard Day's Night
    Genesis In Concert
    Yessongs
    Heavy Metal (I don't really consider it a "rock movie", but whatever)
    This Is Spinal Tap
    Yellow Submarine
    Hail! Hail! Rock N Roll
    Purple Rain
    The Blues Brothers

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    If Detroit Rock City is on the list then Almost Famous is better than that.
    Detroit Rock City was just ok. I think the best thing about the film is how they matched up some of the scenes to certain Kiss songs, like when the boys are hiding in the girls bathroom, you hear Ladies Room, and when they're thinking about picking up the hitchhikers, you hear Christine Sixteen. But it was kind of a dumb movie.

I never Almost Famous, but I remember a quote in Rolling Stone, in the review, where one of the characters "That kid represents the magazine who pissed all over Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs and trashed every single Zeppelin record" (which the reviewer admitted was completely true), which kinda made me want to see it.

Lots of great stuff! Just as I was hoping!

Surprised to see "The Girl Can't Help It" not on the list.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Starstruck (Australia, 1982), featuring Phil Judd and the Swingers:

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Detroit Rock City was just ok. I think the best thing about the film is how they matched up some of the scenes to certain Kiss songs, like when the boys are hiding in the girls bathroom, you hear Ladies Room, and when they're thinking about picking up the hitchhikers, you hear Christine Sixteen. But it was kind of a dumb movie.

I never Almost Famous, but I remember a quote in Rolling Stone, in the review, where one of the characters "That kid represents the magazine who pissed all over Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs and trashed every single Zeppelin record" (which the reviewer admitted was completely true), which kinda made me want to see it.
    I've seen it about 10 times. I love it.

I never could get into Purple Rain. I couldn't believe Prince in that role. Morris Day stole every scene he was in.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Surprised to see "The Girl Can't Help It" not on the list.
    Also Go Johnny Go, which has the only footage in existence of Richie Valens (albeit lip syncing, but still cool to see him there) and the novelty of a "jam session" featuring Chuck Berry on guitar and vocals, Charlie Haden on bass, Dave Brubeck on piano and Alan Freed on drums. Of course, they're just miming to the stock recording of Little Queenie, but even still, you got of the godfather of rock guitar, two great jazz legends, and a guy whose TV show got thrown off the air because Frankie Lymon was seen on camera dancing with a white girl!

No 'Slade in Flame'? Fail.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    Quadrophenia and Rust Never Sleeps.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

All valid choices.

A lot of good ones. A few more...Gimme Shelter is grim, compelling viewing. But in between the Altamont saga there's terrific footage of The Stones at MSG, some of which was used for their Get Yer Ya Yas Out album.

My favouite Elvis film is King Creole...you could take out the songs and it would still stand up as a compelling film, I think. After shooting, Elvis apparently thanked Michael Curtiz for showing him what a real director was like.

A favourite of a lot of rock stars, including The Beatles, was The Girl Can't Help It. You get bits of Little Richard, Gene Vincent, Eddie Cochran etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Quadrophenia and Rust Never Sleeps.
    Forgot about Rust Never Sleeps. I've got that on VHS, but I think I only ever watched it once, just because of how long it was. I remember liking it, though. And I loved the whole staging, with the Road-Eyes, and everything, like the bit where they erect the microphone at the beginning (which always struck me as Iwo Jima allusion), and the thing with the tuning fork, and all that.

Quadrophenia I saw on Showtime I few years back. Didn't really like it. I guess if you were once a violent, pill popping juvenile delinquent (or a wanna be violent, pill popping juvenile delinquent, as seems to be the case with Jimmy), it's something you can relate to me. Since I never really went through that thing, to me, the Mods come off as a bunch of jackasses. To me, the best part of the movie was when Jimmy finds out, to his horror, that his idol Ace is a bellhop in a hotel, and not for the reasons I think Townshend wanted. To me it's hilarious, he looks to this smart aleck snotnose, like he's Superman or something, and then you find out he's just a working class stiff like the rest of us. That's actually kinda funny to me.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Love thatr Rocky Horror is up there but any list without The Blue Brothers is invalid. I'll second The Commitments recommendation.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Quadrophenia I saw on Showtime I few years back. Didn't really like it. I guess if you were once a violent, pill popping juvenile delinquent (or a wanna be violent, pill popping juvenile delinquent, as seems to be the case with Jimmy), it's something you can relate to me. Since I never really went through that thing, to me, the Mods come off as a bunch of jackasses. To me, the best part of the movie was when Jimmy finds out, to his horror, that his idol Ace is a bellhop in a hotel, and not for the reasons I think Townshend wanted. To me it's hilarious, he looks to this smart aleck snotnose, like he's Superman or something, and then you find out he's just a working class stiff like the rest of us. That's actually kinda funny to me.
    Actually I side up on the Rocker's side (not musically, but I hate hipsters and the Mods were early 60's hipsters).

I always wondered how the Teddy Boys didn't appear in that movie, but I guess they'd have sided up with the Mods.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Neil Young - Heart of Gold - The Prairie Wind concert in the Ryman Auditorium
    CSNY - Deja Vu - 2006 Freedom of Speech tour in the Bush Jr war era
    Pink Floyd - The Wall
    Dixie Chicks - Shut Up and Sing - forging ahead amidst the backlash to an Iraq war comment
    I remember tomorrow