4. Moss (3:58)
    5. Dragon At The Core (4:39)
    6. Dark Matter (4:20)
    7. Waited/Justice (5:09)
    8. Fast Food (3:13)
    9. Late Evening (4:58)

Musicians:
    - Lindsay Cooper / bassoon, sopranino & alto saxes, piano, keyboards
    - Zeena Parkins / electric & prepared harps, accordion, e-bow guitar (6)
    - Chris Cutler / drums, electronics, percussion
    - Robert Wyatt / vocals (1,2,4,7)
    - Sally Potter / vocals (3,6)
    - Phil Minton / vocals (5)
    - Dagmar Krause / vocals (8,9)
    - Bill Gilonis / bass, guitar

Here is what Dex F (AKA Penguin df12) had to say about it on ProgArchives:
    This is such a wonderful album. The MOOD is what gets me. Song after song -- sobering melancholy. Woodwinds, brilliant drum work, and harp. The whole thing feels like winter, alone. A night before the fire in a wooden cabin at the world's end. Robert Wyatt's presence really helps. "This life is bare and cold, and I am old and tired of truth," he sings. "Must we forever make our history in this cold country?" Nuclear snowflakes have already fallen. (Who Will Accuse).

"The Hearts of Stone" rocks a bit more, sounding a bit more like Art Bears. Some exotic-ish dance music also ekes in, along with klezmer & a bit of cabaret. Not as touching as the opener, but it'll do. "Banknote" employs a Clavinet and features a new singer. "I nailed a banknote to a tree, but it did not nourish me..." Here a theme of environmental investigation begins, with the alienated individual searching the forest for meaning. "Moss" continues this search. These are Chris Cutler's best lyrics. When Robert Wyatt sings "I was not deceived" like the most disappointed Man on Earth, you know that God is Dead. The outro features piano with harp accompaniment, bringing back memories of a childhood when things used to MATTER.

The subject matter changes completely on "Mass," a funky number featuring Clavinet bass lines and harp-plucking accompaniments. Bits of this song could work well as sampled hip-hop beats. The male singer sounds very cool, and the texts focus on one of Cutler's favorite "Science"-type subjects -- the Black Hole. The ending speed-up is excellent. "Dark Matter" is a nifty waltz & another "Science" number. If it sounds a bit off-kilter, it's because the gravity was deflected by unseen forces. I like it.

Robert Wyatt appears again for "Waited," a return to the melancholic feel of the earlier tunes (no more "Science" for this album, ah!). It is a studied Dirge, interrupted at intervals for a flurry of percussion, melodic saxes, and other things. The ending takes its sweet time plodding along in true Dirge style.

"Fast Food" chronicles what I do every day for lunch, eating alone at Arby's, wearing headphones, and satisfied. I love these lyrics. The music is at first mysterious, becoming rock n' roll, then klezmer, and back again in a cycle. The final song acts as the closer - soft and mysterious - mystical. Sadly, it's not that great -- the pace is very tentative, the lyrics are pretty overwrought, and it seems to wander aimlessly much of the time. But the finale seems to bring everything together as Dagmar's voice is replaced by Robert's. I don't know what it means -- but it sounds powerful.

This is definitely News from Babel's best album, the first being far too heavy-handed. Here, in a much more emotional landscape, their beauty flourishes.

sorry, I usually try not to give a full album link, but in this case, I only foundonly two short tracks on yoot.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Good shit.

Great album.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Good stuff, though the previous album is better

What do you want't more: Art Bears, Henry Cow etc. continued, love both their Albums plus the EP.

Also having vocalist like Wyatt, Krause and Minton who are not the world greatest vocalists but those I want to hear sing...

Too short!

Always preferred the Art Bears to NFB, 'tho both albums of NFB are solid works.

The debut is arguably a bit more coherent in vibe and tone (with only Dagmar, as opposed to four vocalists as here), but individual tunes are better on Letters Home. IMO. And it's got (the now legendary filmmaker) Sally Potter on it - Nic Potter's (VdGG) sister. I believe this and Lindsay Cooper's Music for Other Occasions were some of her earliest forays into professional recordings.

"Moss" remains my single fave NFB song, excluding "Moments of Delight" by the lineup which contributed to The Last Nightingale project. And did heavy pedal-harp ever sound as good in a rock'n'roll setting? Zeena Parkins just totally rules; I need to spin Ursa's Door any time soon - haven't played it in 15 years.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

A lovely album. A rare ‘LP that plays at 45 rpm’ record.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

The debut is arguably a bit more coherent in vibe and tone (with only Dagmar, as opposed to four vocalists as here), but individual tunes are better on Letters Home. IMO. And it's got (the now legendary filmmaker) Sally Potter on it - Nic Potter's (VdGG) sister. I believe this and Lindsay Cooper's Music for Other Occasions were some of her earliest forays into professional recordings.
    Sally Potter is already on Lindsay Cooper's album Rags that was released 1981.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

^ Yes, I was WRONG!

^ Yes,
    And Genesis.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

^ Yes, I was WRONG!
    I believe it is the first time! #winning

I have not heared this album yet.
    In fact I did not know if its existance but its on bandcamp so that will chance soon.

An excellent record. Waiting/Justice is one of Wyatt's finest moments for me. His presence definitely elevates the whole project to new heights/depths compared to the more "predictable" debut.

A beautiful, still grim work of art. These guys knew what was coming even back then. And spoke about it. But we didn't listen.

Thinking about it, I might have featured both albums at the same time, _think.gif and I would've found more Yoot samples to feature

Quote Originally Posted by helicase View Post
    Too short!
    yup!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    A lovely album. A rare ‘LP that plays at 45 rpm’ record.
    I wasn't aware , but that's probably why it's so short.

^ Yes, I was WRONG
    Whaaaaatttt!!!!
    My world crumbles

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    An excellent record. Waiting/Justice is one of Wyatt's finest moments for me. His presence definitely elevates the whole project to new heights/depths compared to the more "predictable" debut.

A beautiful, still grim work of art. These guys knew what was coming even back then. And spoke about it. But we didn't listen.
    I got the small boxset, but if I much prefer the debut's artwork, it's no cigar that LH is my preffered album of those two.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    We certainly did not, and some things never change:

The hearts of stone were here
    Where waters wash
    The ones who spoke and
    Would not hear, the ones
    Who built the walls

The scoundrels are always eager to build their damned walls whether metaphorical or real eh?

Great record, will have to re-visit, its been a few years since last listen, but the track that has stuck with me most is definitely Dark Matter for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    ...but the track that has stuck with me most is definitely Dark Matter for whatever reason.
    Maybe your a man of classical taste and like your waltzes?
    But it's a brilliant piece, that kind of makes me wonder how so many elements can fit into 4 minutes of music. So maybe the record isn't that short after all.

Mrs Cooper exceeded herself in writing these tunes, no doubt about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    #winning

^ Sally's brother?
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

^ Yup, winnin' lil' Harry killin' off da rottin' Scrot-e-mort loser boozer.

That's what age and a lackin' nose does to'ya. Not to mention one's belief in a tiny stick.

I definitely need to return to this. I borrowed a collection of all of the NFB albums from a friend (R.I.P., Mal) ages ago and recall enjoying it very much. I mean, I like my HC and Art Bears albums fine, but when there’s more stuff like that out there, how can you not covet it? And how did I not realize before that Zeena Parkins plays on this?
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    And how did I not realize before that Zeena Parkins plays on this?
    Well, with the peril of being wrong yet again (), I believe NFB and Skeleton Crew were Parkins' first noteworthy merits in anything remotely related to rock, having previously performed mostly in contemporary classical troupes, theatre ensembles and improv units in the U.S. In time she obviously became a figurehead in the whole NY Downtown, Tokyo-Yokohama and Victoriaville new music scenes, but this was years on.

That harp of hers is pretty damn seminal to the overall sound on Letters Home, though. Not that many harpists around rock'n'roll in the first place; I remember an interview somewhere in which Joanna Newsom was asked if she'd "[…] ever heard the work of Zeena Parkins", to which she didn't even bother to reply. I'll betcha she'd even heard of Vollenweider.

That harp of hers is pretty damn seminal to the overall sound on Letters Home, though. Not that many harpists around rock'n'roll in the first place; I remember an interview somewhere in which Joanna Newsom was asked if she'd "[…] ever heard the work of Zeena Parkins", to which she didn't even bother to reply. I'll betcha she'd even heard of Vollenweider.
    Newsom has however done some very good albums. Even without hearing about Zeena Parkins! What a genius!

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I have not heared this
    Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Even without hearing
    You guys need to hair NOW!

Btw, I believe Newsom's lack of answer was due to the silliness of the question. Apparently she wrote letters to Parkins already when she was rather young and wanted to play the damn harp.

You guys need to hair NOW!

Btw, I believe Newsom's lack of answer was due to the silliness of the question. Apparently she wrote letters to Parkins already when she was rather young and wanted to play the damn harp.
    Oh, that is interesting. In one interview that I have seen Newsom mentioned that Gentle Giant is one band that has inspired her.

I think the Newsom hype was way too much. I never got into her music - although I tried at the time, thinking that all these renowned music critics must be right in hailing her as a genius. The triple album? You can use this in torture chambers, and with great effect in my opinion. I am not suggesting she is not talented, but the self-indulgence factor cannot be ignored.

I leave just a shadow of a doubt, since my musical taste has changed the last 10 years.

I definitely prefer Newsfrom to Newsom.